Moé Moé Rabu Layout Mark 5 GO!!
Finally!! After a good long 2 years Moé Moé Rabu has a new layout! Having ran with the old layout for over 2 years there were various problems in terms of upgrading the WordPress core files but as well as implementing new functionality to the site. Believe it or not but I have been running WordPress 2.3.3 since it’s release and now this version has been updated to 3.0.1. Hit the jump to read about some of the new features and what direction Moé Moé Rabu is going in now.
To put the whole change over into perspective I spent a good two years trying to update the layout of the site. This theme is Tipz Theme that was created by Design Disease, with some minor modifications, and is also the 6th attempt at a new layout design. Over the course of designing my tastes had always varied too often and it was a hard choice to choose a theme that I like. I even attempted to create a complete theme design from scratch however that failed miserably. Lets just say that I don’t have the designing skills.
I suppose the two main things I wanted was bright colors and rounded corners. Thankfully I stumbled across Design Disease’s latest free theme and I liked that I saw and it required very little modifications to what I wanted it to look like. The previous attempts saw that I had trouble trying out modifications/features due to my lack of experience mainly with PHP and jQuery, but after a year of working with it it’s not so hard. Here are some of the things that I’ve wanted on the site for a while:
- Featured Posts: with the hope of new visitors coming, I’m hoping they can be directed to a selection of posts that may be interesting to them. The featured posts is based on the jQuery Looped Slider plugin with some slight changes in the CSS. The tutorial can be found here. I was actually hoping to have it do a fade effect which is something I may look at changing in the future.
- Social media integration: the web experience has evolved quite a bit over the past 2 years and social networks such as Twitter and Facebook are now a part of our everyday lives. For now the only integration is links to my accounts but I hope to add in sharing functionality.
- Rounded corners: I have always enjoyed the rounded corner designs of websites and I wanted exactly that for the site.
The site as it is now is mostly complete but there will be further changes to the site as I figure out how to implement them. Such things include:
- Replacing the WordPress search function with Google Search integration.
- Automated pages (especially the Figures page) so no more manual updating.
- A photo gallery to make viewing large sets of photos easier.
Now as for the blog itself, I know I haven’t been blogging recently and I probably have lost most of my readers. Many things have happened over the course of the year and I’m trying to find my feet in this busy time schedule of mine. But there are some things to note about where I’m now going with Moé Moé Rabu:
- No more anime episode posts: this is obvious as I no longer have the free time to be writing episodics. Though I may post something random now and then but chances are slim
- Less figure reviews/photo shoots: at this point now I have stopped buying figures. Well more like buying figures at the pace that I was previously doing. You may see something crop up now and then but with my busy working life and the very little money I earn it was bound to happen.
- More random otaku posts: lately I’ve been enjoying some of the more random posts that I and Mini have been doing and its more enjoyable thinking about what kind of posts to write about.
- More everyday life posts: I’m not sure some people would be interested but posting about everyday experiences is just as enjoyable as random otaku posts. See the world through my eyes!!
- Possibly food blogging: this I have been thinking about for quite a while. I’m enjoying dining out often and I think it would be nice to blog about the food that I eat. I also blame Masterchef for making me into a foodie newbie.
So that’s about it for the new layout and the direction that Moé Moé Rabu is heading. You could even say that we’re “moving forward” Many changes and many new things are happening and I hope you’ll join for the ride. Also if there are issues/bugs that you come across on the site, do let me know about it.