Relocation of the Otaku Empire

November 16, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Blog Admin, Everyday Life, Miscellaneous

It’s been so long since the last post here at and I figured it’s also a time for an update. So much has happened over the past few weeks but I might as well start from the very start. Some of you local readers/bloggers as well as my Twitter followers will know that I have moved out of the family home. After so many years of being cooped up in the family home in my small small room, I’ve taken the step towards actual freedom. So hit the jump on reading about the move and why.

For many years I’ve always had the idea of moving out of the family home. I’ve always wanted to move out mainly because my room was the size of a small study. Well in fact it actually was the study until I turned it into my bedroom. Living out in the far western suburbs was starting to become a bit of a pain especially when it came to traveling to work, going out in general, and even going to see family. My travel time to work (I now work in the city) on the train one way was 1.5 hours. So basically 3 hours of travel each day. At first I thought I could manage through it, but I was dead wrong.

So after much discussions with fellow friends Roobar and Blox, we decided it was best that we all moved in together given the state of the housing market in Australia that it was feasible for Roobar to buy his first home. The period before I got made redundant from my old job I had considered buying a new place myself, but of course things just never go to plan for me. So over the periods of August and September there was a lot going on in terms of doing the whole moving out. most people would think that it would be an easy task, but in my case it was slightly different. I wasn’t the only one moving out in my family.

Due to some reasons, the family house was being sold. Meaning that everyone, mainly my siblings and I, had to move out and find our own places. Of course I had things settled with my friends but the issue was with my siblings. With only 6 weeks left to vacate it was pressing times. The time during September was just full of packing my belongings, and trust me, I have a LOT more than I thought I did. Below is some photos of my belongings packed away:

With the figure collection, it took me a good 2 days to pack all my figures back into their boxes. But I think what some people would be asking is how did transport all those figure boxes? I think most people would put them into large boxes, but with the great wisdom of Blox, he suggested I stack the boxes together and use cling wrap. And by god it works like a charm. But do note I had to be careful when moving them around and unfortunately some boxes got damaged, but the figures themselves are fine.

With my side of the packing completed I had to then help my sister pack and basically go through the entire house finding things that should be thrown out or kept. This of course had to be done during my weekday nights when I got home from work since my brother was too lazy to do it. It eventually got to a point where most things were sorted but I realised that I needed storage space for my sister and my belongings. At first my mum was opposed to the idea of me hiring a storage space but considering the amount of stuff that the family house had, we needed it. Thankfully I found a storage place relatively close to where I would be moving to.

Of course moving was only one of the many events that have been happening. Whilst still going to work there were such events as the first Sydney Bloggers Meetup, Eminence’s A Night in Fantasia 2009, and a wedding where I was a photographer. Leading up today of the move, I also made multiple trips back and forth moving small boxes as well as cleaning up the new place before the furniture would arrive. However my luck just wasn’t with me as I also suffered from a punctured tyre the day before the move.

Come moving day, things went by pretty smoothly but there were a few issues here and there. Of course that’s to be expected since we’re moving everything ourselves as we didn’t hire removalists. On the plus side we got majority of our belongings into the truck and basically had everything moved into the new place by 1pm. Sure enough it was a mess but it was all done. However my day didn’t stop there. I had to travel all the way back to the family home to help with the final cleaning, but I came back to find a big disappointment. I came back to find that there is still furniture left in the house to be moved. My brother had decided to not take what was there and decided to not inform us.

At that point I was really pissed off. I got so much organised for the moving out for both myself and my family and just when I thought I was finished, I get dumped with more to do. So basically the next day I picked up a ute for hire and moved all the remaining furniture into the storage space I hired. The worse thing about this day? IT WAS MY BIRTHDAY!!! That’s right, my 25th birthday and remaining day of the long weekend was spent moving furniture because of my useless brother.

In the end everything was taken care of. I must admit that the whole moving process had worn me out so much that I didn’t want to do anything for a week. Didn’t feel like unpacking, didn’t feel like working, didn’t feel like shopping for food either. I was also pretty depressed during the weekend since I had to take the family dog to the pound. He has been in the family for 15 years and it was a hard decision to make since no one in the family could take him to where they were moving to. The fact that I took him there will most likely haunt me for the rest of my life.

But overtime I started to recover as I started to enjoy my newfound freedom from the family home and living independently. Well if you consider living with friends as independent. Of course you haven’t seen any posts as we only recently got our internet connection setup, and I don’t know why Mini hasn’t done any posts either. I’m sure he’s brewing up some ideas. Hopefully now that I’m settled in you’ll start seeing posts here again and perhaps I’ll even have time to work on the layout. Also sorry for the lack of pictures since there really isn’t much to take photos of when moving. Though do look forward to a follow-up post where I’ll show you what the new place is like.

16 Responses to Relocation of the Otaku Empire

acq128

November 17th, 2009 at 12:42 am

this story put a tear in my eye =), would like to see u around more

btw any orders for c77? hopefully i will have the same amount of items as last time

DS

November 17th, 2009 at 5:39 am

Did your brother get in trouble with rest of the family for not doing his part?

DS’s last blog post..These Railgun Episodes are Getting Better and Better!

TJ

November 17th, 2009 at 7:07 am

Hey you are back! Moving is always quite the chore, but having to do what you did at the end there… that’s a pretty sad story. Best of luck at your new place though.

TJ’s last blog post..Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood 32

November 17th, 2009 at 12:20 pm

acq128: Well now that I live closer to the city, I’ll be able to head out more. Also i didn’t know you were heading back to Japan.

DS: Not at all. The rest of the family was quite annoyed about it all but I still took the brunt of it all and did most of the work.

TJ: Next time I move not sure if I’ll get removalist since I don’t really have a lot of stuff to move. It may seem like a chore but not a very big one.

c2710

November 17th, 2009 at 3:44 pm

seriously… i think i might face the same prob as u if i were to move. it seems that i have plenty of models n they’re more fragile than the figurines… =/

Shin

November 17th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Glad to know you’re doing well bro. Let’s meet up again sometime whenever you’re available!

Shin’s last blog post..The Real Reason To Watch Kimi ni Todoke

November 17th, 2009 at 5:38 pm

Good to hear from you again Adun.

Good to hear you’ve finally got your own place. Sorry to hear about your inconsiderate brother and your pet. Your story actually made me tear up a bit as well. Especially the part about taking your pet to the pound. It reminded me of my own move where my dad made me sit in the van with all 3 of our pets as we drove them to the pound. Due to their age, it is unlikely that they were adopted and were probably put to sleep. Sometimes things like this happen and there’s nothing we can do about it. ):

Even though your move sounded unpleasant, I am glad you’re a finally settled down in your own place and can hopefully live more comfortably.

Punynari’s last blog post..Flandre and Alice Griffon Touhou Figure Preorders

November 18th, 2009 at 12:06 am

I’m glad to see it was a successful move in the end even though u ran into a few hiccups along the way.
As Shin mentioned, I hope we can meet up soon as there’s much to catch up. ^^

Optic’s last blog post..JETTING OFF!!!

phossil

November 18th, 2009 at 1:49 am

Now that I see most of the boxes are from Figures..

phossil’s last blog post..Ubuntu party review

anonymous_object

November 19th, 2009 at 2:11 am

Ah, I know how it is. I just moved a couple weeks ago and it was a huge undertaking, much more work than I originally expected >_<. I’m just now getting back into a normal routine, after finally having unpacked completely and having set up furniture to my liking. I hope to not have to move again for several years ^^;

anonymous_object’s last blog post..Moving

November 19th, 2009 at 10:59 am

c2710: Fragile items are always the hardest to move. I had to drive quite carefully when the car was loaded with some fragile stuff. Just make sure you’ve packed them securely.

Shin: Yes! We’ll meet once again.

Punynari: Well I was quite sadden because our dog was already that old. I was hoping he would’ve lived out a bit more peacefully but what was done had to be done. But like I said, it will always be lingering in my mind.

Optic: The next time we meet I want to hear of your SG adventures!

phossil: The figure boxes accounted for only a 1/4 of what I had to move. I had a lot of things packed away in boxes that were both merchandise and non-merchandise items.

anonymous_object: I wish everything was finished setting up. Problem is when you combine two otaku empires together there’s always a mess. Also I’m the opposite. I will probably look at moving into my own place in the near future (well within 5 years).

oTAKu

November 19th, 2009 at 1:50 pm

Ahh I was wondering where in the anime world you disappeared off to. Glad to hear that you’re alive and that you’ve found a place to live. Happy belated 25th birthday, although it is sad that you had to lug around boxes and furniture at that time.
Hopefully you’ve settled in by now :D And by gosh, that’s a whole load of merch =0

Pudding

November 24th, 2009 at 9:48 pm

ah… i didnt see this…

wow… tatz some touching story u have moving house… and yeh >..< so many stuff to move around…

ah well… at least itz all done with =p

Pudding’s last blog post..Sydney Bleach Shoot Out 2009

Pudding

November 24th, 2009 at 9:50 pm

ah… and happy birthday as well >.<

Pudding’s last blog post..Sydney Bleach Shoot Out 2009

Hirvine

December 7th, 2009 at 4:10 am

oh my O.0 you did had all the boxes. Wonder what you would do without?
Those stacked, wrapped up boxes looks very otaku. I guess people have been watching you on the way.

Hirvine’s last blog post..Hirvine (Jonathan Rambelje) Birthday

The Combined Otaku Kingdom at Moé Moé Rabu

May 28th, 2010 at 4:26 pm

[...] some of you may know, I have moved out of the family home. Well its been about 7-8 months since that has happened and life seems to never slow down when [...]