A New Development Path

August 29, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Everyday Life

Hatsune Miku Sakura Trees

Sourced from Pixiv

As many of you know, I’ve been unemployed now for roughly 2 months now and that I’ve had some pretty trying times in both health and finances. Although I’ve had some doubts of ever finder a job in web development again, my patience has finally paid off and I landed myself a job. A job that I’ve been wanting for such a long time as well: a PHP developer.

Over the course of the two months I’ve had a total of 5 interviews and the 6th was on Monday afternoon. That interview was by far the longest one I’ve had as previous ones were more of a friendly chat that last like 20-30 mins at most. Well I got a call on Tuesday morning that I was successful in the interview and that they wanted me to start the next day. So over the past 3 days I’ve finally been engaged in some paid work! The role itself is a junior PHP developer, with some exposure to .NET technologies as well, and it’s what I have originally been aiming for 2 years ago.

Being a ColdFusion developer I found it difficult finding work that was permanent as most were contract roles that required minimum 4 years experience. In Australia, CF is a pretty niche market. I would have more chance if I looked in the US or UK, but going overseas for work isn’t really an option for me right now. In a way I do kind of regret not taking a PHP role much earlier as I’m basically doing everything from scratch once again. So does this mean the end of my CF skills and knowledge? Well yes in a professional sense, but no at a personal level. I have some ongoing work that I will be managing in my free time that could earn me extra cash but won’t go into too much detail.

The other thing as well is that my job is now situated in the Sydney CBD. I knew this was going to be the case so now I have to get used to the daily grind of actually waking up early and taking a 1.5 hour train ride each way. So far it hasn’t been as bad but I’m sure it’ll be worse in a few weeks. Thankfully I have my iPhone and newspaper to keep me occupied. And I can read my PHP book to help me learn what I need to know faster.

As for what will happen with Moé Moé Rabu I will most likely not be blogging as often as I would like since I don’t have much free time now and will most likely drop the anime episodics. I’m also not sure Mini will be doing in regards to anime episodics either but I think he’ll be continuing on next season. Still I will be bringing about post of all my random doings as well as random purchases that you all like to see.

22 Responses to A New Development Path

jenn

August 29th, 2009 at 1:16 am

Yay, job. =) Ganba, Adun~!

jenn’s last blog post..G.I. Joe – The Movie, not the Akshun Figures!

Shin

August 29th, 2009 at 1:18 am

Glad to see you finally back on the payroll, bro. Good luck with your new job!

Shin’s last blog post..I Dream Of Ranka

suguru

August 29th, 2009 at 2:02 am

Congrats on the new job! Long commutes aren’t fun, but at least on the train you can do something else versus driving where you’re stuck staring at the taillights of the car in front of you.

relentlessflame

August 29th, 2009 at 2:31 am

Congrats on the job! I think the move to PHP will probably serve you well, at least in terms of quantity of work available and your overall versatility. Once you’ve gotten a grasp of the basic syntax, you might try playing around with some of the MVC frameworks (like Zend and so on) to give you some ideas on good ways to organize your code, and some guidance towards good practice. (The amount of people who can hack their way in PHP is large, but the amount of people who can program well in it is much smaller.)

Anyway, best of luck!

relentlessflame’s last blog post..New Arrivals: 8523809090 11 – Software on CD ROM (NSFW)

Panther

August 29th, 2009 at 3:14 am

The travel is going to get to you yeah, but at least you are doing it for good honest money. Good luck in your new job.

Panther’s last blog post..Preview: 1/10 Wave Nodocchi

anonymous_object

August 29th, 2009 at 4:03 am

Hey, congrats on the job! PHP is pretty fun once you get into it. Kind of a mix of C, Perl, and Java. A lot of elitists hate on it but it’s really not such a bad language. It’s only bad if a bad coder is using it xD

Too bad about the long commute. I have a 45 minute drive each way and I think that’s bad… 1.5 hours, yikes. At least it’s on the train where you can read or do whatever else you want (maybe catch up on anime? ^^).

anonymous_object’s last blog post..Lucky Star Treasures Set of Soujirou

0rion

August 29th, 2009 at 4:41 am

Congrats and good luck with the new gig! Whether you continue blogging here or not, I appreciate all the great articles you’ve written over the years and wish you the best with your newly found gainful employment.

Of course, hopefully you’ll still be able to update from time to time. No need to push yourself, though. :)

0rion’s last blog post..Touhou Summarized

Protocol Snow

August 29th, 2009 at 5:35 am

Congrats on the job! Don’t worry about the decreased blogging, the random purchases posts are my favorite anyway so I’m glad you’re going to continue those :)

Protocol Snow’s last blog post..e.via – Korean rapper debut

PCgamer

August 29th, 2009 at 6:48 am

Welcome to the PHP field :)

Gurumi`Sunday

August 29th, 2009 at 6:49 am

Good to hear about the job man. Best of luck :)

August 29th, 2009 at 9:15 am

Thanks everyone!

suguru: I actually didn’t mind my daily driving to work since it was only a mere 30 minutes for me. I just hope my driving skills don’t dull from not driving around as much.

relentlessflame: The syntax I have had experience with before from various tweaking in WordPress but it’s more of a matter of remembering how to do certain lines of functionality is my main issue. The fact that I have been a CF developer for 2 years, for a simple task I keep thinking of how to do it in CF and not in PHP. In logic they both work the same way, but in syntax it’s totally different. But yes once I have developed my skills in PHP a little further I’ll look into using the Zend framework.

Panther: Yes the commute is going to make me go crazy but hopefully not for too long.

anonymous_object: I would like to catch up on my anime on the train, but that requires lugging a laptop around and I’m not at that point just yet. Plus trains get pretty packed during peak hour so it’s quite hard to use a laptop on the train.

0rion: Hopefully I’ll continue to do some blogging, just not anime episodics. Also I didn’t realise Epic Win was back until a friend told me, lol. I’m so out of touch with the aniblogosphere.

Snark

August 29th, 2009 at 10:15 am

Having absolutely no knowledge in computers and programming; most of this post went over my head. That said though, good to know you’ve got a job again; good luck!

Snark’s last blog post..Girl it up! – Fruits Basket #1

phossil

August 29th, 2009 at 12:55 pm

Congratz finding a new job. with your knowledge in CF i think PHP would be a piece of cake. ^^

phossil’s last blog post..[quick] Nicknaming my car 2

TJ

August 29th, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Congrats on finding a new job. I remember learning about Coldfusion back in high school, but as an intern I haven’t seen a single employer asking for it. there’s definitely more opportunities doing PHP.

TJ’s last blog post..To-Love-Ru 162 (Final Chapter)

pp

August 29th, 2009 at 2:10 pm

Good luck in your new job :D !!

learning a new programming is good , makes you see things in a different light.

pp’s last blog post..4mbps for HD !

Zeroblade

August 29th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Congrats on your new job :O
90 minutes of commute is madness @_@. I don’t even know if an portable music player could help kill that time – maybe encode anime for your iPhone so you can watch it on the way?

Zeroblade’s last blog post..New Project…?

August 29th, 2009 at 11:37 pm

Very happy for you Adun. Not only finding a job but finding it in something you enjoy. ^_^

Long commutes can be a bit rough. My parents have pretty much have to commute at least 2 hours whenever they go into work. Come to think of it, they always have even when we lived in another state. Its doable but you will be tired sometimes.

Punynari’s last blog post..Assembled RX78 Gundam Part 2

August 30th, 2009 at 1:26 am

phossil: I’m hoping for that as well.

TJ: Well CF is quite a small market compared to PHP and .NET, but I’m sure I would’ve found something if I was in the UK or US.

Zeroblade: I might do that, but I don’t particularly like watching anime on such a small screen.

Punynari: Well if things go to plan, I’ll hopefully be cutting out an hour travel each way.

Pudding

September 1st, 2009 at 3:13 am

Omedetou gozaimasu~~~
yeh… seems like life goes as u planned in the end… good luck with ur new job and hope to see some of ur random fun stuff happening on blog =p

Pudding’s last blog post..1/8 Ren Kagamine PVC by Good Smile Company

September 1st, 2009 at 11:54 pm

Congratz. I knew u could do it.
With much experience in the web development industry, it’s not all that hard to land yourself a new job. It’s easier with people who has industry experience rather than none.

Believe me, the 1.5 hour train ride each way will become a daily grind. Sleeping on the train will become a habit if your not pre-occupied with something.

Optic’s last blog post..Happy Birthday Miku!!!

Hiji

September 2nd, 2009 at 6:00 am

Way the go Adun, good to see you back in the employed side. 1.5 hours commute really does suck though…

September 3rd, 2009 at 12:00 am

Pudding: Let’s just hope I have enough random happenings.

Optic: It’s impossible for me to sleep on the train. I’ll explain next time I see you.

Hiji: Yeah the commute is the only downside.