Comiket 76 – All days summary

August 17, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Conventions & Events, Japan

There’s not a lot of pictures to show, mainly because my hands were usually full with bags, but I’ll post some “look how big these crowds are” photos later.

Day 1

I woke up slowly at 4 AM and “enjoyed” some cup ramen. Trundling off to the train station, and with a few mishaps, I joined the Comiket queue for the West Halls at 6:30. Then I dialed up my Get This recordings and settled down for a long wait.

7:00 – Sure would be nice to get some shade.
7:30 – The cloud cover and occasional breezes are godsends.
8:00 – Starting to feel ill. Maybe because of the prawns in the cup ramen.
8:30 – Oh lord I don’t wanna dieeeee
9:00 – I’m OK now. Not much longer to go.
10:00 – Everyone claps for the official start of Comiket 76, and gets off their arses to get ready to move.
11:00 (approx) – Into Tokyo Big Site proper, I head towards the commercial booth queues.
11:30 – Waiting in the Good Smile Company queue.
12:00 (approx) – GSC goods get! Off to a couple more commercial booths
13:00 – Get on the bridge to switch to the east halls. Eat my sandwich and finish off whatever water’s left in the bottle.
14:00 – The combination of goods and doujinshi is starting to weigh heavily.
15:00 – It’s all I can take, time to bail.

Day 2

6:00 – Alarm goes off, I switch it off. Just five more minutes…
7:00 – Wake up, swear quietly.
8:00 – Time to get moving again.
8:30 (approx) – Join the lines for another day of sweat, sweat and more sweat. I’m lining up on the bridge this time, there’s a clear sky and no shade. Argh.
11:30 (approx) – Into Big Site again, drop into a couple more booths. A lot of stuff at Gamers is sold out but I get most of what I want.
12:30 – Something’s gone wrong – the transit from the West to East Halls is moving at a glacial pace, about 3 steps every 5 minutes.
13:30 – Fresh air at last. My stamina’s drained and my brain’s fried, so I head for home.

Day 3

8:00 – Wake up, head downstairs for breakfast. Today I’m going to take it easy.
10:00 – On the trains to Odaiba.
10:30 – Join the line to the East Halls. It’s taking a winding path around the east side of the building, I’ve never been this way before.
11:30 (approx) – Into Big Site proper. Hitting Halls 1 and 6.
13:00 – Lining up for a particular circle since Adun specifically asked me for goods from there. It’s a tease of a line – the first third is in shade, the rest under the blazing sun.
14:00 – Time to hit the rest of East Halls. I’m not going to chance West Halls thanks to what happened yesterday.
15:00 – Once again the doujins are weighing heavily on my hands and back. Good thing I thought to bring some tote bags from Sydney.
16:00 – That’s enough for me, I make the long slouch to Kokusaitenjijo and head back to the hotel. Grab a very late lunch from a nearby McDonalds.

11 Responses to Comiket 76 – All days summary

0rion

August 17th, 2009 at 2:13 am

Valiantly fought, sir. I salute your bravery.

0rion’s last blog post..This Was My Face After Watching Endless Eight

Pudding

August 17th, 2009 at 3:31 am

wow… *salutes to the solder*
come back home comrade… we aussies will give u a formal salute

Pudding’s last blog post..1/7 Mikuru Asahina Gothic Punk Ver. PVC

phossil

August 17th, 2009 at 8:16 am

This is why Konata (Lucky Star) asked some help to her friends to go with her and buy stuff..

phossil’s last blog post..[quick] animoe minibanner

August 17th, 2009 at 10:14 am

U survived for 3 days.
I couldn’t even survive for one.
Comiket is not for me -_-

Optic’s last blog post..Music Monday ~ MARIA – Kanashimi Rensa

Mini

August 17th, 2009 at 10:40 am

Comiket’s a harsh battlefield, but I survived with all my limbs and sanity intact. :)

By the way if anyone has questions about my Comiket experience, leave a comment here and I’ll address it in a follow-up post.

August 17th, 2009 at 7:16 pm

Sounds so exhaustive. The one day I went, I went casually in the afternoon just to see what it was all about. Don’t know if I could do that epic early wait unless the exclusives were really good (as they were at this one).

Did you get a hold of any of the Gift plushies? The Miku or Touhou ones. I heard those were in short supply and sold out quickly. There not exclusives to the convention but that’s something I would try to buy if I could make it (and the Reimu nendoroid of course).

Punynari’s last blog post..Port Visit Sydney Australia

anonymous_object

August 17th, 2009 at 11:47 pm

How hot was it and does Big Site have AC in all rooms? Certainly sounds like an exhausting experience but one I’d still like to try xD

anonymous_object’s last blog post..FREEing 1/4 “Super” Konata!

The-O

August 18th, 2009 at 12:05 am

::salutes:: >.< We barely survived Day 3! We split our entire team and it worked really well. Sadly we missed the industry booths. T.T

Saku

August 18th, 2009 at 12:14 pm

Crazy 3 days. I don’t know how you survived all that. I mean I already hate line-ups at Anime Expo (40,000 attendance), I don’t think I can handle Comiket ^^;;

August 18th, 2009 at 12:24 pm

The three days of Comiket isn’t that hard. Don’t worry, if I go back to Japan I’ll make sure you’re trained up for it!

acq128

August 18th, 2009 at 11:51 pm

i noticed on my 2nd trip, its alot better with company, problem would be getting the company and whether you will make use of the multiple copies you would be getting. and for some booths its well worth it =)

wouldn’t mind doing it with any of you guys if ur up for it