Tokyo Day 1: Plane rides aren’t fun

August 10, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Conventions & Events, Japan

The alarm clock in my phone woke me up at the ungodly hour of 4 AM. After a quick cuppa tea, checking I had all my gear and loading it in the car, it was off to Domestic Terminal for the first leg to Cairns.

Thanks to a delay with some sort of seating issue, the plane was 40 minutes late getting off the ground, but with a helpful tailwind the delay was cut to 20 minutes when I landed. Grab luggage, have a quick bite to eat, and it’s onto the plane to Tokyo proper.

Just like my trip to Tokyo in 2007, I developed a case of stomach upset during the flight. I’ll probably be stuck with this problem for long-haul flights. At least I didn’t get a splitting headache this time. I spent most of the flight listening to Get This podcasts, since I wanted a passive activity rather than breaking out the PSP or DS.

Landing at Narita Airport, it took a couple of train trips to get to my hotel. Once I dropped off my bags, it was off to good ol’ Yoshinoya for a simple meal of beef bowl to settle my tummy.

The weather in Japan is humid as expected, but this time there’s also a higher chance of rain thanks to a typhoon that’s lurking off the coast.

There’s only one thing I forgot to buy: a foldable chair. Seeing as I’ll be making a trip to Tokyu Hands anyway before Comiket, I’ll have to buy one there again.

6 Responses to Tokyo Day 1: Plane rides aren’t fun

valho

August 11th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

I am lucky I don’t have problem with long haul flight, except that it’s pretty much boring. The last time I took one, I spend most of the time reading a book and sleeping. Oh Have fun in Tokyo ^^

valho’s last blog post..Alter 1/8 Yoko Littner

August 11th, 2009 at 12:30 pm

Aww and I was hoping you’d progress a little further in Project DIVA. Hope you’re finding the Shiba Park Hotel to your liking.

icie

August 11th, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I always pack imodium during travels. Never know when it might come in useful. I also make it a point to keep hydrated during flights, and annoy the heck out of the attendants with my constant requests for water. Other than the noise of the plane (if you have used sound isolation headphones on planes before, you’ll know what I mean), flights don’t really bother me.

icie’s last blog post..Break the wall! Minori’s eden* demo movie: a rough translation

August 11th, 2009 at 6:29 pm

That’s a good idea with the music. I got another possible flight from Tokyo to the states coming up and last time the psp ran out less then half way through the trip.

Might still bring the psp cause I need to unlock the swimsuit costumes still (and get great on those 2 songs near the bottom of the list).

Punynari’s last blog post..Port Visit Sydney Australia

August 11th, 2009 at 7:55 pm

Sorry for the double post. Since you all are into Project DIVA too, I wanted to give you a heads up about this gorgeous large Project DIVA towel that came instock on Hobby Search just today. Love Kei’s artwork and had to have it.

Punynari’s last blog post..Port Visit Sydney Australia

Mini

August 12th, 2009 at 12:01 am

@valho: I tried sleeping it off too, no dice. Woe is me.

@icie: The Imodium is a good idea! I’ll be adding this to my packing list for next time. The noise of the plane didn’t get to me since I was wearing in-ear earphones the whole time.