The Struggling Path to Recovery

August 4, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Blog Admin, Everyday Life

Sourced from pixiv

So it’s been a month since I last posted anything here so I figured I might as well update on the situation going with my life. As you may know, I got made redundant last month and since then I’m still unemployed. The day I got the notification I decided I’d have a little break since the weekend was coming up and after a cosplay photo shoot outing requested from a friend, I ended up being sick. I had the worst sore throat I ever had in my life where I came to the point of not being able to speak.

Eventually the worse of it went away but even after a month, I’m still coughing from a dry sore throat. A little annoying but at least bearable, and at least I can talk. But trust me, during phone calls it was like hell trying to speak and not cough up a lung. Despite being bedridden for most of two weeks, I had something to keep me occupied: Project DIVA. If you follow my Twitter, you’ll see many tweets in regards to this. Oh now that I finished the game, my thumb can now pierce the heavens!!

The job hunt has been going on since Day 1 of my NEET status and as of today I’ve had only 3 interviews. Once again I’m facing the same problem I did two years ago of not having enough experience since a lot of roles require a minimum of 3 years, or that I don’t have the skills for a particular web language. As for my financial status, I’m pretty much flat broke now. To put things into perspective, I haven’t been paid 8 weeks in wages before I got made redundant. I’m now also owed about 4 weeks in annual leave as well and at this point I’m believing I won’t ever see that money or even a redundancy package for various reasons. For the time being I’m on Centrelink NewStart Allowance which is only enough to pay the bills.

In this time of economic crisis, I have considered doing contract work, perhaps even acquiring an ABN and have my own business (Moé Developments as a name??). However that doesn’t give me much security in a lot of things but right now it’s still on the table as an option. For the time being I’ll continue my pursuit for a web development role, but if I don’t have something by October I think I’ll have to abandon that idea. It’s not something I want to do but I won’t have much of a choice. The market looks a lot harder than I thought it would be and although I have the two years experience, it still seems to mean nothing. It also makes me think if doing ColdFusion was the right choice or not.

Anyway that’s pretty much a rough breakdown of what’s been happening. I’ll start blogging again regularly soon enough but given that the Summer season is already underway I won’t pick anything up to blog about. Actually I’m thinking of dropping anime blogging since I need to focus my time on finding work. Perhaps Mini will continue doing so. Speaking of Mini, he hasn’t written anything since he’s been occupied with gaming and preparing for his Japan trip in a few days. Hopefully he’ll blog about his trip whilst he’s there.

16 Responses to The Struggling Path to Recovery

Jacky

August 4th, 2009 at 11:41 pm

*hugs* Wish you the best of luck!

Koshiko

August 5th, 2009 at 12:40 am

Hehe, Moé Developments? I’d read that as Moe and would presume that’s your name if I didn’t watch anime or read anime blogs xD;;

I hope you get something up and running for yourself before October 1st. Maybe do the NEIS program? I was thinking of doing that but I’m fine with doing occasional websites under my dad’s business for the moment.

Koshiko’s last blog post..August Updates

suguru

August 5th, 2009 at 1:31 am

Ganbatte – losing a job is always hard, but it happens to everyone, especially now that lifetime employment is a thing of the past even in Japan. When you’re back at work, you’ll probably wish the time off between jobs was longer (at least I did) so try to enjoy it while you can. After all, no one ever looked back on their deathbed and said “if only I’d spent more time at work…”

pp

August 5th, 2009 at 1:38 am

real life always have to spoil the fun eh?

relax man :) , i’m sure things will turn out well for you somehow. Just send out more CVs and go out to enjoy the sun, who knows you might meet someone that might help you.

Gurumi`Sunday

August 5th, 2009 at 4:20 am

Best of luck with the job hunt dude. Keep ur chin up and don’t lose hope!

anonymous_object

August 5th, 2009 at 6:20 am

Are you teaching yourself new technologies and skills? Write a site or program in a new language, play with some database software? It’ll keep you entertained and you’ll be able to add more meat to your resume ^^

anonymous_object’s last blog post..Wave’s Aisaka Taiga Preview

August 5th, 2009 at 9:29 am

Koshiko The NEIS program seems like a good idea, but I would still prefer to be in a full-time position within an established company. Finding clients will be the hardest part. Oh and that name was only something randomly picked.

suguru: Actually I’ve kind of almost had a break over the past 2 months since I’ve been pretty much working from home. Plus I need to be in a job fast as I’m hoping to move out before October as well, and that means I need a steady source of income.

pp: I’ve been basically firing off my resume on job postings nearly everyday. Only a few have called back which is a little depressing.

anonymous_object: Lately I haven’t due to being sick for nearly 3 weeks and I have been busy with a lot of other things. I’m actually thinking I should do an online training course as sometime learning on your own from scratch can be a bit difficult at times.

valho

August 5th, 2009 at 11:29 am

Best of luck in you job hunt man

valho’s last blog post..Air Gear ~ Akito/Agito

Seinime

August 5th, 2009 at 1:05 pm

Ganbatte! Keep searching man! You’ll find a really good job in the end somehow!

Seinime’s last blog post..Fanart accrediting: an actual serious trend people need to follow

TJ

August 5th, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Sorry to here about that. Real life can suck some times. You’ll make it through though.

TJ’s last blog post..Claymore 94

icie

August 5th, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Good luck dude. You should really try to pursue that back pay if possible. Does the tax return help or hinder?

August 5th, 2009 at 1:57 pm

Do you have to report to Centerlink fortnightly as ur on their NewStart Allowance? I remember my dad had to and after 3 months when he was still unemployed, he was sent to job agencies to make u find work and/or do a few courses for an hour or 2.
It’s centerlink way in ensuring u are looking for work.

Best of luck buddy. I would recommend to continue doing some self-learning to keep ur skills up to date. The longer ur not working, the more likely u will start forgetting stuff.

Optic’s last blog post..Small Loot from PA

BedaBeda

August 6th, 2009 at 2:08 am

Man that sounds rough. You probably don’t need me to say this but, hang in there, stay positive, and keep all your options open and something will come your way. Best of luck.

August 6th, 2009 at 4:32 am

The only advice I can give is to continue as you are and keep trying. Try to stay positive and hopefully a opportunity will come about. Maybe somewhere entirely unexpected. Wish you the best of luck.

Punynari’s last blog post..Port Visit Sydney Australia

August 6th, 2009 at 7:59 pm

icie: At this point I don’t think I’ll ever see what I’m owed anytime soon. Perhaps maybe next year or maybe even never. As for the tax return I don’t know if it helps or not since I can’t acquire my group certificate just yet and I’m trying to get it.

Optic: Yeah I have to do all that crappy stuff that Centrelink get you to do. Frankly it’s a waste of time. I just hope I don’t have to do it for too long.

Shin

August 6th, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Hang in there bro, I’ll be seeing you on Sunday!

Shin’s last blog post..A New Prelude