Return of the NEET

July 2, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Everyday Life

After my graduation from uni, I went through a phase of hardship spanning over 10 months when it came to looking for a job. I was aiming to get into the IT field and as I reached the 9th and 10th month I was reaching a point of depression of not finding a job. Thankfully I made a breakthrough and finally got a web development job. It’s been two years since then and it has been pretty peachy and my skills have come a long way since then and I thought that I would be in this job for quite sometime. However I’ve been quite naive in having that kind of mindset. As of today I’ve been laid off.

There are many reason why this has happened but I shall not go into details about, but I guess I should have seen this coming. If you follow my Twitter then most of you would know by now, but the simple explanation is that the company is closing for business. Today I’ve been feeling rather sad about this the worries I had 2 years ago are sort of coming back again. And now my plans for another overseas holiday next year are out of the question.

But I have to look at the brighter side of things now and think of it as a new beginning. I do wish to continue working in the web development field as the opportunities are endless but whether I wish to continue in ColdFusion development is another question. I would like to expand my skills in PHP and other web technologies so I may have to start learning these on my own for the time being. So for now I shall be going through some tough times over the coming weeks as I am now gone back to a NEET status and will  be going through the daunting process of interviews.

If you’re a Sydney based reader and know of any place wanting a web developer with 2 years of commercial development experience (doesn’t have to be ColdFusion specific) please do send me an email about it.

EDIT: Just created a LinkedIn account for those who want to add me.

17 Responses to Return of the NEET

Cabbage

July 2nd, 2009 at 10:22 pm

Hey,

That sucks. D:

Umm, unless you’re web-designery inclined I’d definitely recommend picking up PHP (ouch) or C# (ouch ouch ouch). Most jobs at the moment seem to center around those two. Unfortunately, Coldfusion jobs are, uh, a bit few and far between; most that I’ve seen recently seem to revolve around the above two.

(Oh, and enough javascript to do some AJAX work. I don’t use it work, but I at least have to know how it works.)

If you go down the PHP route, learn with a framework, such as Code Igniter or the Zend Framework. There seems to be recent interest in that, and it helps dampen that “Oh god how could people USE this?” feeling that bare PHP sometimes gives newbies.

Good luck.

- Rob

PS: Get on LinkedIn if you aren’t already. You tend to get recruiter-spammed if you have the right keywords. My name is my email address if you want to, err, connect.)

Cabbage’s last blog post..Hobbyco Gundam Workshop

Blackholeheart

July 2nd, 2009 at 10:22 pm

While I’m in the wrong part of the world to give you any leads I think you should look at this as a good thing, you have just the right amount of experience versus recent training to market yourself. Play it right and you could end up way better off that you were. Ganbate ne!

anonymous_object

July 2nd, 2009 at 11:11 pm

Ah, sorry to hear that. I don’t know how things are in Sydney but the IT industry is still quite active where I am in the States. My suggestion is to learn PHP, python, or C#. If you know any other languages, PHP is easy enough to pick up ^^. Also, if you don’t know AJAX well, I would study that too. JQuery or other popular Javascript frameworks will help. Just take this as an opportunity to improve your own skills.

Good luck and I hope you are able to find work soon ^^.

anonymous_object’s last blog post..Konata Nendoroid, Comptiq Version

July 2nd, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Cabbage: I’ve been wanting to pick up PHP for a while due to the job market for PHP developers, but since my job focused on CF I didn’t have a lot of time to learn it. However I would like to keep developing my CF skills as the market for CF developers is a lot more easier to gain access to since there is a lack of them. Hoping to also improve my JavaScript skills and use jQuery more. Thanks for the tip about LinkedIn, I have heard of it before and never got around to creating an account.

Blackholeheart: Yeah I’m trying to see the positive on this, but because I have other real life issues to deal with at the moment it’s a little hard. But thanks for the support.

anonymous_object: The IT industry is still strong compared to finance here in Sydney. I’m not too worried about there being no jobs available, more about being able to get a job. Even though having experience I still doubt my very own skills set when seeing what some of the things they do in larger companies. Just hope I can find something rather soon.

July 3rd, 2009 at 12:44 am

I loled at that picture. Ultimate NEET. Priceless.

But in seriousness. That sucks that you were laid off. Especially during this economic recession. I wish you the best of luck finding a new job. You deffinetly have web skills (I don’t even know what PHP or CF are ^_^;). Good luck man.

Punynari’s last blog post..Port Visit Sydney Australia

Zeroblade

July 3rd, 2009 at 2:20 am

Ouch, that sucks D: I’d love to find you a job, but I’m pretty sure moving to another country with worse pay isn’t a very good idea! And what Cabbage said is right – get a linkedin; that place is probably crawling with companies looking for good people to hire – and I’m sure you’re one of ‘em. Good luck with those… issues too.

Zeroblade’s last blog post..Umi Monogatari 01

suguru

July 3rd, 2009 at 2:35 am

Sorry to hear that – but I guess at least the timing should be good since the economy’s starting to get better, I think being laid off a year ago would have been tougher. It’s sad the days of lifetime employment are over, but everyone I know (mostly people in their 30s) has been laid off at least once and bounced back. Ganbatte!

Sasa

July 3rd, 2009 at 3:40 am

I still remember those times when you were fretting about finding a job – and I hear you, the biggest horror I have is to have to look for a job for months (which is why I am slightly artificially prolonging my studies). I’m sorry I can’t help you at all, but I wish you good luck for your future endeavours! PHP isn’t all that hard and if you were able to learn ColdFusion from scratch like that, I am sure it will work out just as fine for PHP. Ganbarou!

Sasa’s last blog post..A short summer season preview, or: Why I don’t get overly excited about Noitamina series anymore

Hiji

July 3rd, 2009 at 5:29 am

That’s terrible news, seems like people I know in the IT and software industry are being let go one after another =(. Your two years will be a valuable asset to getting a job regardless of whether it’s CF or PHP. What matters is that you’ve experienced what it’s like to work in the industry and know how things work. Technical skills can be picked up, but those two years of experience… not so much. Good luck job hunting, though getting some time off to re-evaluated your current position in life isn’t so bad.

icie

July 3rd, 2009 at 9:35 am

Best of luck Adun. I’m definitely in the wrong industry to help you out effectively, but will keep a lookout on the technical side of the company. The job market is tough right now but I am confident you’ll find a job quickly enough. If all else fails, you could always pull a Danny Choo!

July 3rd, 2009 at 10:01 am

Zeroblade: The prospect of moving overseas for work is always an option. It’s always been something on my mind on whether I should try it out or not. Of course such a thing is a big decision as I would be leaving a lot behind me. But for the time being I hope I can find something here in Sydney.

suguru: Yes those lifetime employments opportunities are a thing of the past. Guess I’m sort of old-fashioned that way thinking I’d be in my job that little bit longer.

Sasa: I’ve had some experience with PHP in regards to this blog as I have pulled a lot of things apart to see how they work. I can see that PHP isn’t hard but I just need to get the syntax context in my head since it does differ from ColdFusion.

Hiji: I’m lucky to be working in CF since there seems to be a lack of CF developers. But I shall see what the future holds for me in the coming weeks.

icie: If I could pull a Danny Choo that would be awesome. Except there really isn’t anything exciting about Australia compared to Japan.

phossil

July 3rd, 2009 at 10:30 am

Not everything is lost Adun. Remember that you have 2 years of web developer experience, and that is very important in your resume (also all the other habilities you gained, like team work, working under pressure and objetive based, and so on).

I have no doubt you will find another job very soon!

phossil’s last blog post..Random sketch

July 4th, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Sorry to hear about your current situation. Having experience in web development is important in finding a job in today’s society. Hope you can find a job soon.

AS’s last blog post..Back Home

meronpan

July 12th, 2009 at 4:39 pm

best of luck. searching for a job can be tough work, even when the economy is good. wish i could give you some leads but i’m in a different country and my company’s hurting at the moment too.

meronpan’s last blog post..向坂環 ‐挑発‐ Kousaka Tamaki -Seduction-

gordon TK8316

July 20th, 2009 at 11:42 am

don’t woory bro, take a break and enjoy life for a bit, catch up on stuffs ya? all the best.

btw i need a small favour from you. dropped you an e-mail or just go to my blog for more info. thanks!

gordon TK8316′s last blog post..Birthday Wish

The Struggling Path to Recovery at Moé Moé Rabu

August 4th, 2009 at 11:08 pm

[...] here so I figured I might as well update on the situation going with my life. As you may know, I got made redundant last month and since then I’m still unemployed. The day I got the notification I decided I’d have [...]

A New Development Path at Moé Moé Rabu

August 29th, 2009 at 1:09 am

[...] many of you know, I’ve been unemployed now for roughly 2 months now and that I’ve had some pretty trying times in both health and [...]