Supanova Sydney 09 – Part 1

June 28, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Conventions & Events, Everyday Life, Miscellaneous, Photography

So Supanova Sydney was once again upon us, and after a rather late night out of watching Transformers 2 on Friday night, I and my good friends Roobar and Blox headed down to Olympic Park for a day of fun, spending, and lots of walking. It’s kind of amusing how during convention time I get little sleep even though I’m just an attendee. This year is also a slightly important year for me as it will determine where my BURNING PASSION stands as recently I’ve been feeling burnt out, but also it means another field test for my 24-105mm L lens. So hit the jump to check out photos and my day at Supanova Sydney 2009.  Warning: Picture intensive post.

We arrived at The Dome at around 10:30 a.m only to find a somewhat large crowd lining up at the doors. At a quick glance it seems that there were 3-4 lines going and not knowing which line was which, I scouted out to find out which was which. Upon finding out, I managed to bump into a few people I knew and from them found out that the longest line was the pre-registration line, and that line was barely moving. This is something that always happens at all the conventions. I never pre-register for a convention as it always takes longer to get inside than paying at the door. It took my comrades and I about 25 minutes to get in whilst it took most people in the pre-reg line about 40-50 minutes. The other issue was the price. For those turning up for the one day, it cost them $23.75 at Ticketek, plus a $5 booking fee, as opposed to just $25 at the door. Lets just say a friend of mine wasn’t happy about that.

Once inside, I made my way through the crowd towards the various stores that I know to give my greetings. First up was Madman Entertainment, then the people at Tamarket, then the SMASH table, followed by StrangeHead, and finally JAUWS. There were also a bunch of other people along the way such as icie and Optic and my co-writer Mini. In a way its kind of amusing the amount of people that I know and I think that it’s growing each year.

Judging from the line outside, the current crowd inside already from a bird’s eye view, it seems to be more people than last year. To me it seems that the conventions are growing in size each year, and despite the downturn of the global recession over the pass few months, it hasn’t stopped people from attending and spending on merchandise. Still at least with Supanova Sydney they won’t have to choose a different location anytime soon as Olympic Park is an adequate facility for such an event.

Also here was one weird thing that has never happened to me before: I got stopped by a security guard. He saw my camera and was asking if I had permission to use that here. This really confused me since this was a public event that allowed for people to take photos 9within certain parameters). Anyway I went to confirm the rule with a few people involved in Supanova and they just pointed out it was because I was near the guest signing area. That makes sense since I was only walk by there. Well I don’t blame the security guard as he was doing his job, but still weird.

Anyway I was also feeling kind of lazy to take photos since I was pretty tired from the night before. Still I did manage a number of photos, and with the shiny new 24-105mm f/4 L lens I was more than ready.

A very lonely AV guy.

One of the workers from Pinin.

These girls were hesitant at first but eventually gave in to have their photo taken.

This would have to be the best cosplay of the day. A member from SUAnime. Now if only there was a Reimu cosplayer and then it would’ve been heaven.

That’s pretty much the cosplayers I photographed from wondering around. The amount of cosplayers was certainly high as was the quality of some of the them, but alas you can’t capture everything. Overall I’m impressed with the results that I got with the 24-105mm. Compared to last year’s photos I can see a big difference. However I do have one issue, and that is my camera body: the 400D. People say that this lens is overkill for the 400D, but it’s not at all. The camera body is the one holding the lens back.

The first issue is that if I go higher than ISO400, it becomes much too noisy in the picture quality. I would love to use a higher ISO but it means sacrificing quality. Even though the lens is equipped with Canon’s Image Stabilizer, it only improves it slightly. The second issue is the camera body’s cropping. On a 400D, a 24mm focal length is actually 38.4mm, meaning I need to be some distance from the actual subject I’m taking photos of.

The third issue is that the 400D is too slow. When capturing certain moments, I find that the lens can focus fast enough, but the camera body itself lags behind it. Overall I think it maybe time to upgrade to a better camera body, preferably a Canon 5D MkII, though i think I’ll be saving for quite a while to obtain one.

Oh also I ran the photos here through a script I wrote in ColdFusion to resize and watermark the images. From what I see they’ve turned out pretty good. If you want any of the photos seen in this post, just send me an email to adunATmoemoerabuDOTnet (just replace the AT and DOT) with the subject “Supanova 2009 Image Request” and the photos that you want. Look out for Part 2 which covers the Madman Cosplay Competition. Check out Part 2.

Check out other Photo Galleries of Supanova Sydney:

17 Responses to Supanova Sydney 09 – Part 1

Jayzila

June 28th, 2009 at 11:32 pm

Feeling a little lazy this year then Adun?

Seems a lot more busy than sunday, was pretty dead today.

Did you buy any loot?

June 29th, 2009 at 12:30 am

I was wondering what happened to the other images until I realised it was Part 1. lol
As I didn’t get a good seat at the front for the Madman Cosplay Competition, I decided to get something to eat outside. I’m surprised the comp. took longer than expected.
Good thing I bumped into Mini so I can pass the time and get to know him a bit better.

Optic’s last blog post..After Work Loot

Dom

June 29th, 2009 at 11:12 am

Btw, I think you’re “favourite cosplay of the day” is actually a certain SUanime member, not AUNSW. :p

Took me awhile to realise who it actually was though.

Dom’s last blog post..Things I did instead of going to Supanova today

June 29th, 2009 at 11:25 am

Jayzilla: I’m always feeling lazy. Oh and yes I bought loot, but those shall be revealed later.

Optic: Probably a good thing you got something to eat. The comp seemed to go on forever.

Dom: Thanks for that. I knew she was from one of the clubs but I couldn’t remember which one. Shows how much attention I had during the day.

Bubby

June 29th, 2009 at 2:08 pm

Nice photos Adun, can see big differences compared with last years photos.
The 24mm length annoys me too. At least you have a wide angle to back you up -_-

Pudding

June 29th, 2009 at 2:46 pm

the marisa cosplay was definately the best and it was so rare that i literately broke into a fangirl scream (even tho i am a guy) i was like soooo happy tat i even get to see a touhou cosplay >.<

Jacky

June 29th, 2009 at 6:56 pm

I wasn’t lonely. I had my macs to keep me company! And besides, I crossplay better than that other dude. I think I deserve some credit on that!

Sydney Supanova 09: Part 1 | The Dis-Jointedzone

June 29th, 2009 at 10:40 pm

[...] Moé Moé Rabu (Part 1) [...]

Hunting the Elusive » Sydney Supanova 2009: Report

June 30th, 2009 at 12:15 am

[...] other coverage: Bubby and Adun addthis_url = ‘http%3A%2F%2Fwww.pireze.org%2Fblog%2F%3Fp%3D12098′; addthis_title = [...]

June 30th, 2009 at 6:49 am

Love the Marisa cosplay! Thanks for taking these pics.

I would have went on Saturday but I had duty. Maybe next time.

Punynari’s last blog post..Port Visit Sydney Australia

Pudding

June 30th, 2009 at 3:41 pm

hmm… u alright from tat fall on sat jacky? 0.0

well i did manage to get a shot of marisa doing a master spark as well XD woot

Pudding’s last blog post..Supanova 2009

Elise

June 30th, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Oh no I’m up there xD not a great photo of me hahahah bad angle. I’m the Ness chick up there with Ash and Misty. I don’t even remember taking this photo XD hahahahahh *facepalm*

Elise’s last blog post..Next Cosplay: Mother 3 stuff =D

Supanova Sydney 09 - Part 2 at Moé Moé Rabu

June 30th, 2009 at 4:03 pm

[...] Archives _uacct = “UA-1132269-1″; urchinTracker(); « Supanova Sydney 09 – Part 1 [...]

June 30th, 2009 at 4:10 pm

Bubby: But changing between lenses during cosplay is hard, especially since the 24mm-105mm is big and heavy.

Pudding: My friend Roobar demanded I take a photo of her.

Jacky: Macs don’t count as friends. And yes, you make a lovely crossplayer.

Punynari: I’m totally surprised you were in Sydney at the time. You should have mentioned something!

Elise: When there are so many people with cameras it’s hard to remember how many photos were taken.

Sydney Supanova 09: Part 2 | The Dis-Jointedzone

June 30th, 2009 at 9:56 pm

[...] Moé Moé Rabu (Part 1) [...]

beethy

July 1st, 2009 at 8:40 am

Good shots man.
2 years ago I also used a 400D 24-105mm.. didn’t enjoy it very much.
This time (I went on Saturday) I mostly used my 50mm.
Results were much nicer..
Here’s my stuff:

beethy’s last blog post..I love Mother 3 !!

Blox

July 6th, 2009 at 11:14 pm

So lies you got loot, that much spending does not count as loot.