Sydney Easter Weekend Dollfie Meet

May 19, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Dollfies, Everyday Life, Photography

Its been way over a month since this event but I finally got around to sifting and editing the photos. Last month I was invited by my dollfie friend Megami to an Easter themed dollfie meetup. Its been a very long time since I went to a dollfie meet, like WAY back in 2007, and I was once again excited about attending one since I am now an owner of my own dollfie. Although I was the only one to own a dollfie dream I’m just glad that my Erika could make some new friends. Hit the jump to check out more photos.

Another thing about turning up to this meetis to get me some practice in photographing dollfies on the spot. Since I’m still relatively new to the dollfie world, I still don’t have enough practice photographing them. All the photos below were taken with my Canon 400D and unfortunately with the standard lens which is a piece of crap. I tried using the 60mm macro but it was rather hard to get decent photos from a distance with very low lighting.

Since it was Easter, there was also an Easter theme for this meetup and there was a small competition and anyone could enter. I didn’t enter since I don’t have anything for Erika except her other sets of clothes.

The winner was the one with the red hair and black hat. I want a hat like that as it reminds me of Meroko from Full Moon wo Sagashite. Hey now there’s another costume idea. Another great thing about going to a dollfie meet is seeing the various clothes that other dollfies owners have bought or made themselves. Currently I only buy dollfie clothes but am looking at learning to make them.

One major difference between a super dollfie and dollfie dream is that a SD can be posed much more easier than a DD. From what everyone who had a play with Erika mentioned that DD joints are quite stiff. I’m guessing this is because the way the joints are done are different between a SD and DD. Also a SD is much much heavier.

At first I was only going to bring Erika, but she insisted that I bring along Roobar’s dollfie, Saber. Yes that’s right, a Saber dollfie. That is the other dollfie I have with me for the time being as I’m “borrowing” her. Or to put it simply Roobar and I have a saying: “what’s mine is yours and what’s yours is mine”. but despite bringing them both, I didn’t really take that many photos of them. I did however change Erika into another set of clothes for the other owners to see.

Overall the dollfie meet was great fun. I saw some familiar faces as well as new ones but unfortunately I’ve pretty much forgotten everyone’s names. I got to chat to many of them about dollfies and photography in general as well. Its also amazing to see how much effort and love these owners put into their sons and daughters whether they’ve been a long time owner or even someone as new as me. As I venture further into this hobby the more I love it, just as I keep loving my Erika more and more. Also after seeing Danny Choo’s coverage of Doll Show (Part 1, Part 2) and of Dolpa 21 (Part 1, Part 2) I’ve had a change in heart. I mentioned before that I was bored of Japan and won’t return for another 4 years. Well I now have the urge to go again simply because I want to attend a Doll Show or a Dolpa. What ever shall I do?

On another note some of the photos here turned out good, and some not so. Personally I’m not too happy about the results and some feel rather amateurish to me especially with the gross orange yellow background. At times I noticed my external flash wasn’t firing correctly and using the standard lens probably wasn’t the best option. I did manage to improve a few via Photoshop but it shows I still have a long way to go in dollfie photography. On another note SMASH have released details of this year’s dollfie photography competition. This year the theme is “sky” and I’m planning to enter the competition. Its still a few months until the submission deadline but I’m hoping I improve enough to produce something I’ll be proud to enter into a competition. I’ve been browsing images for ideas and I have a few that could work but we shall see. Do look forward to what I’ll produce over the coming months.

17 Responses to Sydney Easter Weekend Dollfie Meet

anonymous_object

May 20th, 2009 at 12:13 am

Wow, lots of dollfies. The one with the Meroko style rabbit hat is nice ^^ Makes me want to get a dollfie but I haven’t found a premade Dollfie I like and I don’t think I’d be skilled enough to put together a character from individual pieces. Still tempting though ^^;

About the pictures, it looks like the WB is the problem. From my experience, the Rebel line of cameras don’t handle most indoor lighting well with the auto white balance. My 40D doesn’t do it well either. I find myself setting it manually most of the time or making changes in RAW afterwards. I also try to use what light is available and not use flash.

anonymous_object’s last blog post..FREEing 1/4 Kagami Pre-ordering Begins

Koshiko

May 20th, 2009 at 12:22 am

Awesome~ I’m not quite into the BJD scene completely just yet… only ’cause they’re so expensive u_u~

Can’t wait to get Yoko, was hoping I’d be able to get Nia too, but no money. I would also like to learn how to make clothes for Yoko and any other daughters/sons I may adopt in the future x3

Ah~ they’re so lovely~

sonic_ver2

May 20th, 2009 at 1:00 am

Wow, that’s a lot! But most of them looks scary for me. I guess non-DD will looks scary, because non-DD don’t have that anime styled face that DD have IMO.

sonic_ver2′s last blog post..Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM

Aquilla

May 20th, 2009 at 4:42 am

Lovely pictures, looks like it was a whole lot of fun. So many pretty pretty dolls.

Photographing them can be very difficult and every doll varies because of their colour, resin and such but you’ll get the hang of it.

Ripazah

May 20th, 2009 at 4:48 am

To be honest Dollfies usually creep me out a bit (I’m guessing its the faces)… :3 *Yeah, what sonic_ver2 said. xD*

But Erika is really cute actually! And Saber isn’t bad either! ;)

Hirvine

May 20th, 2009 at 6:51 am

The photo’s are nice, not bad at all. Don’t be so hard.
Plenty of dolfies at the meeting I see. I’m not really a fan of dolfies myself, at least not for sewing, the clothes and putting them all together. Though I love the shoots people make. I’m probably just too lazy to get my hands on one and put them all together. I probably would fail putting it together or something :/ Yup, I’m giving up before I try. It saves a lot of wasted money. I don’t think I can.
So good luck on the clothes, I love to see your creations.

Hirvine’s last blog post..Nanoha Nendoroids spotted

May 20th, 2009 at 2:53 pm

Ah crap, a painful reminder of the hell I went through during the Easter long weekend at hospital. :s

I’m still don’t feel comfortable holding dollfies as I have this freaky feeling I’m gonna break it or drop it. Guess I haven’t got accustomed to them yet as they are still relatively new ot me despite having a likely to them now. I kinda remember having this feeling when I got into PVC’s early.

Looking forward to more of your work. I wanna see the father in one of the pictures next time. ;)

Optic’s last blog post..Music Monday ~ HIMEKA – Asu e no kizuna

May 20th, 2009 at 8:31 pm

anonymous_object: But the beauty of putting one together is that its made to your liking. And that’s the great thing about dollfies as well. Of course it still boils down to whether you are willing to spend that much money on a dollfie. Recently I’ve began to realise that it is also the WB. I haven’t really played around with custom white balance myself since I tend to get weird and funky results from it.

Koshiko: I look forward to seeing your Yoko. Then we can have our daughters meet and become friends, and possibly scare M12 out of his wits!

sonic_ver2: Most people are like that. But I find that when you’ve seen them over and over again you tend to not be so scared or find them creepy.

Aquilla: So many different colours is one of the great things. But when I edit the photos, I tend to try and make them look more lifelike by adjusting colours and get something close to real skintone.

Ripazah: Well you’ll be seeing plenty more pics of my cute Erika.

Hirvine: Probably a safe bet to stay away especially if the money factor scares you.

Optic: Don’t worry, spend enough time with me and my Erika and you won’t be afraid to hold them. Remember, DD are much MUCH lighter than SD. Yes, a picture of father and daughter…. (I don’t see Erika as my daughter)

Matteas

May 20th, 2009 at 9:08 pm

I still find those with real life eyes a little creepy, but it is just a matter of time until I get used to them I guess. Long gone are the days when I was freaked out even by dolls with anime eyes.
btw. I have added you to my blogroll, hope you don’t mind

Matteas’s last blog post..New Episode of Suzumiya Haruhi? For Real?…

megami

May 21st, 2009 at 10:45 am

Awesome shots Phil!

May 22nd, 2009 at 2:13 pm

Love seeing more of Saber and Erika. Wish I could go to a convention like that. Everytime a Dollpa comes up here I end up either having to work, be on duty, or underway.

Also, it seems it will take a while till the Super Dollfies stop scaring me. Sometimes even the Rozen Maiden ones scare me. Those realistic eyes…

Punynari’s last blog post..MikuMiku Kagami Figma Review

Danny Choo

May 24th, 2009 at 4:45 pm

See you at the next Doll Show or Dollpa!

Danny Choo’s last blog post..Suenaga Sisters: Sibling Love

Phoenix

May 28th, 2009 at 12:58 am

Woohoo Erika and Saber. They are the best! Heh. I actually don’t like SD much. In fact SD is the reason I stayed away from BJDs because I just can’t get over the fact they look kind of realistic but kind of not realistic. While DD is great because they are not realistic so I have no problem with them at all heh. Still good to see all those clothing on the SDs.

So you other doll is Saber eh? The same as mine then heh. Now I can’t wait to get Shopping Mall Japan to ship my two newly adopted dolls over hopefully beginning of June. Got Tohsaka Rin and Kan-U heh.

chibiboo

July 30th, 2009 at 3:29 am

Now I really wanna go to a dollfie meet! I’m gonna start saving up my money for one! =D Saber was my favorite… she was so pretty! Dollfies sorta creepy me out, but that’s why I love them. XD

Mirna

August 28th, 2009 at 11:58 am

dose anyone know where i can get dolfie clothing at deciant prices…… please e-mailme at cunningmirna@yahoo.com and please title it dollfie clothes

im new too dollfie but im purchasing my first two on tues im so excited butthey only come with under wear soim on the hunt please help

Mirna’s last blog post..I AM A TWIN AND I SAY TWINSEST IS WRONG,DISCUSTING

Poofiemus

August 31st, 2009 at 4:41 pm

This picture makes me smile: http://www.moemoerabu.net/images/dollfies/sydney_easter_2009/dollfies_26.jpg

Erika: “Why don’t you stop taking pictures of the minis and the tinies, and take pictures of a real woman, camera boy?”
Saber: *rolls eyes* “You’re such a ham, Erika.”

I don’t find the more realistic sculpts creepy per se, I just find that a lot of them are sculpted to look rather broody and morose. It’s not quite as common with girls as with boys (like Dream of Doll’s DoT E-An, for instance, who has tsundere charm practically), but it has significantly limited the non-DD sculpts I covet.

The doll meet looks like a lot of fun! I should try to get to one in my area to see them in person before I start asking for Dollfie funds for Christmas. ^^;

Sydney Dollfie Meet: Halloween 09 at Moé Moé Rabu

November 24th, 2009 at 11:00 pm

[...] last dollfie meet was held WAY back in April for the Easter weekend and since the convention season is now over, it was time for another meetup. [...]