Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L Lens GET!

April 20, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Everyday Life, Photography

Over the years that I have delved into photography as a hobby, I have always striven myself to reach a higher level of quality in my photos. Sure enough I post my photos for the world to see with people commenting that I do some nice photos. However I am always criticizing my own work as I know that it’s not the perfection that I seek. I always thought that with photos most can be fixed in Photoshop, but the better the original, the better my perfect photo. Though I do admit that I can only blame myself for the lack of skill. As time passed I got better and eventually I’m now blaming it on my lack of proper equipment. But now I have once again gained another level in photography and got myself a Canon 24-105mm f/4L IS USM lens.

Although I do think my photos still won’t reach the level I’m seeking, but having this lens is a step up from the 18-55mm standard zoom lens that originally came with my 400D. For four and half years I have used the standard lens as the general purpose lens for portraits and random snapshots, and it was certainly holding me back in many ways. I have longed for a much needed general purpose lens to replace the standard lens, but given that photography is a rather expensive hobby, it has been on the backbench for a while.

But with the recent deposit of my Ruddbux (Australian Government tax bonus payment), I could finally obtain one with an easy of mind that it’s not taking an entire wage packet. Another reason was I was pretty unhappy with the quality of my Mini-Animania Sydney 2009 photos that I decided it’s time for a new lens. Though I did come at a dilemma of choosing between the 24-105mm or the 24-70mm f/2.8L lens. The 24-70mm was only an extra $400 and was the best option for portrait photography due to a large aperture of f/2.8, but I wanted a more general purpose lens and the 24-105mm had a larger focal range and IS (Image Stabilizer).

Still its quite an investment I’ve made given that I haven’t done much photography over the past few months, but given I still strive for that level of perfection, I’m sure it’ll pay off soon enough. perhaps in the future I may look at acquiring the 24-70mm lens to add to my equipment but that depends on what I can produce with the 24-105mm. I haven’t had a chance to try it out properly, but its a good thing I have a friend’s wedding to goto soon and he wants me to take photos. Perfect chance for a test drive and to break in the new lens.

Those who have had experience with both lenses, which one do you prefer?

19 Responses to Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L Lens GET!

Shin

April 20th, 2009 at 11:22 pm

How do I obtain this elusive Ruddbux (´;ω;`)

Shin’s last blog post..Turn-On! Ritsu And Mio

April 20th, 2009 at 11:33 pm

You had to lodge a tax return for 2007-2008 and earning less than $100,000 to be eligible.

anonymous_object

April 21st, 2009 at 12:53 am

Oh, an L series lens? Nice! A good zoom range as well. I recently picked up a 17-55mm lens for my camera though I haven’t had a chance to play with it much yet.

I wonder if you’ve considered upgrading your body though. Putting an L lens on a 400D seems a bit like overkill ^^;. Have you considered the 50D or maybe 5DII? ;)

Hope to see some photos of your new lens in action soon!

anonymous_object’s last blog post..Macross Frontier

TedFox

April 21st, 2009 at 12:57 am

I bought the 17-55 f2.8 lens. Thinking of getting this lens of yours after that.

Decided with this combo, after thinking that the 24-70 is just too damn heavy. Especially with the body i’m using (450d)

TedFox’s last blog post..EF – A tale of melodies – Ep 03

icie

April 21st, 2009 at 1:36 am

It’s a good investment. I have been holding off all lens purchases (have been tempted to buy a number of primes) in preparation for a 2.5k to 3k zoom which will be the be all and end all…at least for another five months or so.

icie’s last blog post..Tinkle Double-Figure, Etsu, Tapestries

sonic_ver2

April 21st, 2009 at 1:49 am

Wow! That’s a great upgrade from a very standard lens, to an L lens. I heard about Tamron 24-70mm is better (sharper) than Canon EF 24-70mm L, dunno if that’s true or not.

sonic_ver2′s last blog post..Surabaya Anime and Toys Festival

Divine Fang

April 21st, 2009 at 1:56 am

WOW!!! Congratz!
How does this L lens compare to the 18-55 kit lens? Mind making a post about A-B comparison between the kit lens and the new L lens? <– *was actually expecting this upon seeing the headline*

Divine Fang’s last blog post..Suzumiya Haruhi Gekisou

Andy

April 21st, 2009 at 4:00 am

Do you find that the extra weight of the lens takes a long time to get used to? I can’t wait to see photos with the new lens!

Andy’s last blog post..Congratulations to my bro!

April 21st, 2009 at 7:58 am

anonymous_object: I have considered upgrading the body as I’m finding the 400D to be rather restrictive in low-light conditions. When shooting at a higher ISO level compared to a friend’s 50D on the same, got you can tell the difference in quality straight away. Though currently I’m going ot hold off from getting a new body as I don’t have that kind of money to spend on a new body whilst the 400D still does me fine.

TedFox: I chose the 24-105mm due to the larger focal range and that it’s an L type lens. With an L type lens I know it can be used on a 5D or 1D (if I ever get the chance to use one) where the EFS type lens can’t be used on those cameras. Though I’m not sure how heavy the 24-70mm is but seeing the pictures I can pretty much guess.

icie: Now that’s a big investment. But I know what you mean by putting it off. To spend that kind of money on a lens isn’t exactly something you do without thinking through.

sonic_ver2: I never had a look at Tamron lens. Perhaps I should have a look at what they have available.

Divine Fang: I’ll see if I can make a comparison post later once I’ve actually tested the lens out.

Andy: I think it depends on what you’re doing as a photographer. I used to carry my 400D, battery grip, 580EX flash, and a 17-40mm lens combined when I did wedding photography as an assistant and all up it weighed a good 5-6kg. When carrying that kind of weight around for about 7 hours it does get tiring but you get used to it. But so far just the extra weight from the lens on the body now is significantly larger than the standard lens, I’m used to it.

Roy

April 21st, 2009 at 8:06 am

Don’t know much about the lens but from the looks of it I expect to see some stellar shots from you ^^ and congrats for your friend(the wedding) ^^
lucky,all I got is a bad HP Camera T-T

Roy’s last blog post..New Loot I guess…(Talky)

alafista

April 21st, 2009 at 9:28 am

I had a go with the 24-70mm L. I absolutely love it and its a great lense for walkabout.

But I’ve stopped buying lenses for now. Saving to buy my first dollfie. ^^

alafista’s last blog post..Figma Kagamiku Delayed

Bubby

April 21st, 2009 at 10:26 am

Nice, about time you upgraded that standard lens
I would die for IS on my 24-70 but I’d easily choose the 24-70 since its faster :)

valho

April 21st, 2009 at 11:22 am

Nice lens, I have nvr use the 24-105, but have played around with my friend’s 24-70. The faster aperture on the 24-70 is good and all but it’s non-IS and quite heavy too. The 24-105 IS and longer reach should comes in handy and works well as an all around lens :)

valho’s last blog post..New Shining Wind figures prototype

Deathy

April 21st, 2009 at 11:52 pm

Nice pick, I need to buy a new lens sometime soon as well, 18-55 is starting to getting on my nerves during some cosplay photoshoots and small works. But for figures it’s still very nice. Do need a 70-200 like now!

And I’m probably the only Nikon user replying a Canon post. :D

Deathy’s last blog post..K-ON! OP e ED Singles

phossil

April 22nd, 2009 at 8:51 am

Im still a newbie with camera stuff and lenses. I think before to say an opinion I would need to read some photography manuals because I still cant recognize the difference between both lenses (I mean not at a technical level you speak off.)
Anyway, congratz with the new lens. ^^

phossil’s last blog post..I want to work in Google

piparkaq

April 22nd, 2009 at 10:01 pm

It’s a draw for me for the both ones – the IS in the 24-105 is incredible, I used to have the 28-135 with IS, which is of the first generation IS lenses, and holy crap, the new generation IS used in the 24-105 freezes shakes almost completely.

After my last trip to Japan in 2006, I went and exchanged a few of my crappier lenses for a better one, where I had the dilemma of choosing between the two – I did settle for the 24-70/2.8L. Mostly, because a friend of mine already has the 24-105 (switch every now and then) and I have a 70-200/2.8.

Can’t say I’d be disappointed with the 24-70 one though. The lack of a longer zoom isn’t too bad, since the 24-70 range is good enough, comparing with the one extra F-stop it offers. Whichever lens I’d have gotten, they’d be both probably irreplaceable. I carry the 24-70 with me everywhere I take my camera with me — which is pretty much everywhere. :-D Only bad thing about the 24-70 when compared to the 24-105 what I come to think of is the weight. The 24-70 weighs a bit more than the 105 one.

And also, it feels strange that the zooming is reversed in the 24-70, meaning the lens is shortest when zoomed to 70mm, and longest when zoomed out to 24mm. I’d say that for a general purpose lens like this, if you have Canon, go with Canon, and for the more special ones, it’s not so critical – my experience with non-Canon lenses on Canon bodies regarding to autofocus performance have made me a Canon whore, the USM in Canon’s lenses, especially L-series lenses, is just so much win. <3

Regarding to a poster above, doing a comparison between the kit lens and the 24-105 would be a bit redundant, since the kit lens is quite awful in terms of picture quality (which you don’t notice until you start trying out other lenses).

April 23rd, 2009 at 10:24 am

alafista: I could’ve bought another dollfie with my Ruddbux, but I think a new lens was in order.

Bubby: I’ll let you try the lens out when I see you next time.

valho: That’s what I’m hoping for with this lens. A good all-round general purpose lens.

Deathy: The 18-55 I used for figure photography before, but once you get yourself a macro lens, you won’t go back.

phossil: Once you try out a more advanced lens, you can easily see the difference. You don’t need to be well versed in the technical aspects but anything is better than the standard lens.

piparkaq: I understand by it being a draw. The two lenses are really close to each other and both have advantages and disadvantages and it makes you wonder why couldn’t Canon make a 24-70mm f/2.8 L IS USM. But at least with the 24-105mm I could compensate for the higher f-stop with the use of IS to some extent (although technically that shouldn’t be the case). Still in the future I may look at acquiring the 24-70mm or something similar for use for portrait photography.

piparkaq

April 23rd, 2009 at 6:00 pm

Adun: True that. IIRC the IS in the 24-105 compensates about 3 F-stops worth of camera shake. One of the bad things with the 24-70 is that it flares like a mofo, seriously. I’m thinking about getting the 24-105 after my next few purchases, though – after either the 50/1.2L and/or 17-40/4L.

I’m an L-whore. :(

And I’m loving it. <3

(But my wallet doesn’t)

April 23rd, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Looking at ur equipment, I thought u had all the lenses u need to make ur photos just perfect.
Well, from a non-photographer point-of-view, I can’t seem to find bad photos from ya.

Well, I got my Ruddbux yesterday so I’m investing it in a comfy desktop chair. ^^

Optic’s last blog post..So Here What’s Happening…