Mini-Animania Sydney 2009

March 29, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Conventions & Events, Dollfies, Everyday Life, Photography

So far 2009 has been a pretty busy year for me so far, but I do make time to enjoy my hobbies. One of the things I usually enjoy is attending conventions and what better way to start the year with Mini-Animania Sydney 2009. Once again I make my way to the Citigate Central Hotel alone, but this year was different. I decided to take my Erika with me. Hit the jump to check out photos of the event. WARNING: Picture intensive post.

Like most years, I’m usually not all that excited about attending Mini-Animania, and I guess my main reason for attending is to take photos and meet up with various online and offline friends. However this year had slightly surprised me. This year the line to pay at the door was definitely longer than previous years, but luckily a friend saw me walking down the line in hope of finding someone I know so I can join them, lol.

One of the other things that happened in previous years was all these girls screaming their lungs out and going around glomping people whilst nearly getting run over by the traffic getting into the carpark. Strangely enough none of that happened this year. Praise the otaku lord for bringing calm to the world. Although there was no glomping, there were still hugs going around:

Waiting in line I had a glimpse at some of the cosplayers that attended and happen to spot this:

Once inside I made my way to the top floor to check out the stores that were present and to give my greetings to a few friends who were running a few tables. Although getting in before most of the pay at the door line, the place was already swamped with people. Just getting around was hard enough as you had people standing in front of vendors, then people behind those people waiting to see what’s available. People stopping cosplayers so they can take a photo, or people just standing around chatting. Yep, this just how a convention should be. Though the limited space available I think is something that still needs improving on.

I also introduced Erika to a few people before heading downstairs to find the ABJD table to meet other dollfie owners. Before the event, I wasn’t sure if I wanted to take Erika with me and have her displayed since I had no means of carrying her safely. But some rummaging around the house I happen to find a somewhat suitable carry bag for her. Arriving at the table I was pleased to see a few dollfies already sitting at the table and some owners there setting up. I placed my Erika amongst them the rest of them and now she made some new friends. Below are some photos of the table I took throughout the day:

Unfortunately the lighting downstairs was quite dark and the use of flash on dollfies tends to make the image look un-natural. I’ve done some light editing on these dollfie photos but seems that I still need more practice in dollfie photography.

As the day progressed, I kept meeting a few people, even one of my readers (Pudding) managed to recognise me amongst the packed crowd. It was also close to cosplay competition time thus I headed over to the main stage to get a good spot. At this point I also met up with Optic who informed me that it took him an hour and half just to get inside. The line had reached further than I had expected. Eventually cosplay got under way and here are the photos from the competition itself:

The Ouendan group cosplay was definitely the best group performance followed by the Sakura Taisen group. Despite this year being in a better spot to take photos, you still can’t do anything about people. I had numerous people sit in front of me and not realising I’m taking photos with my photographer friend Bubby next to me. This is a thing that always annoys me at any kind of cosplay competition as I’m sure they knew I was there already but just move in front of me anyway. Anyway straight after the cosplay competition was the World Cosplay Summit (WCS) Preselection Round 1. Find out more what the WCS is here.

There were only two entries for this round which I found to be rather small. Personally I thought there would be more entries even though it’s the first round, but after reading some of the rules for entering, I can see why there wouldn’t be many entries. But at least it would bring out some of the best cosplays. Hopefully by the main Animania Sydney event there’ll be more entries.

After the WCS competition I was feeling hungry and after checking up on Erika, I went out to grab something to eat with Optic. The rest of the day wasn’t all that eventful except checking out what’s left at the stores and taking photos of cosplayers about. Although the problem at the near end of the day, there certainly are less people making it easier to move around, but less cosplayers to take photos of as well. Still I managed to take a few photos of any cosplayers that were out and about.

The best individual cosplay I saw on the day was definitely the Al Alzif. I think recently the cosplay quality in Sydney conventions has been improving which is a good thing as well. So I look forward to SMASH, Supanova, and the main Animania event later on this year. Overall there really isn’t much I can say about Mini-Animania. Nothing has really changed and there really hasn’t been any improvements. I still think that Mini-Animania should move to a different location given the amount of people that turn up to just a one day event. Waiting in line for an hour and half to get in a convention is probably something I wouldn’t want to do (conventions in Japan are different in terms of waiting in line) as well as trying to get through a packed crowd in a small area.

But this time I had a little more fun than usual because of the ABJD table. Taking Erika with me was probably a good decision and meeting people who are already into my newfound hobby is great. Although I didn’t take any photos of Erika there, but at least she made some new friends. The other dollfie owners were certainly pleased to see Erika and see the difference between a super dollfie and a dollfie dream (one point is that a dollfie dream is significantly lighter). I’ll definitely be taking Erika again to SMASH and possibly bring along Roobar’s dollfie as well.

Also I might look into getting a new piece of glass so I can take better photos instead of using the crappy standard zoom lens.

Note: If you want any of the original photo/s that you see here, please send me an email (which you can find on the About page) with “Photo Request: Mini-Animania” in the subject and a link to the image/s.

Other reviews of Mini-Animania Sydney 2009:

21 Responses to Mini-Animania Sydney 2009

Kairu Ishimaru

March 29th, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Those dolls are scary. O_O

Kairu Ishimaru’s last blog post..“Tweet, Tweet!”

March 29th, 2009 at 1:42 pm

I’m pretty good in squeezing through crowded areas but this time round, it was literally impossible. For future conventions, I’m gonna pre-register as waiting in line for hour an a half is just ridiculous.

Other than that, it was a good day overall. I fairly enjoyed myself given it’s my first mini-animania I attended. I was fairly impressed by the variety of good quality cosplayers but I wish I could say the same for the stallholders.

Optic’s last blog post..The Temple of Heaven

Shin

March 29th, 2009 at 2:17 pm

I sort of regretted not going now, knowing it’s so near where I stay and that there was a Ranka cosplayer involved.

Shin’s last blog post..Idolmaster SP

Persocom

March 29th, 2009 at 3:03 pm

cool pictures, Al Azif really does look the best out of all of them, that’s one accurate costume

Pudding

March 29th, 2009 at 3:36 pm

hehe yeh.. great to spot u there XD
and took pic of ur eririn as well…

mini animania was better than i thot… the line was real long than wat was expected
2hr after i got into the place, my frds tat didnt preregister just got into the place

March 29th, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Nice pics Adun though thoses dolls made me shiver. Some I really like but others kind of scare me. Maybe ones based off anime characters take a bit of the fear off.

Like the Ranka/Sheryl Cosplay there. ^_^

Punynari’s last blog post..Xeno Emission E1 by Chocolate Shop Preview Part 2

^___^

March 29th, 2009 at 8:04 pm

Hello~ thanks for the doll photos. It was nice to meet you~

I like your doll’s uniform, it was very cute ^^

March 29th, 2009 at 8:25 pm

Kairu Ishimaru: Yeah I’m expecting people to say that.

Optic: Well if you don’t want to wait in line again for an hour and half. I probably will never bother pre-registering ever. The cosplayers were of better quality this year so I do look forward to the main Animania later this year.

Shin: You should’ve come! I bet you didn’t have anything else to do. Plus you could’ve met up with myself and Optic.

Persocom: The best individual costume I saw the entire day.

Pudding: That really weirded me out how you just recognised me instantly. Hopefully we can meet again at the next con.

Punynari: I don’t expect everyone to like what they see. Me on the other hand I liked them all. Though when I was asked what I thought about them I couldn’t find the words to describe it, lol.

^___^: Thank you very much. Though do expect to see Erika in other conventions wearing some new clothes.

Pudding

March 29th, 2009 at 10:22 pm

haha… i actually walk pass once.. and thinking… hmm tat is adun right? then when i passed again.. i said hi ^^

Bubby

March 30th, 2009 at 1:13 am

Nice pictures Adun. I wish I had a wide angle sometimes.
You managed to squeeze in the line and we found a good spot for the cosplay too.
The cosplay was alot better than last years too…but you disappeared after the comp :(

Still it was a fun day and nice seeing you again :)

The Dis-Jointedzone » Blog Archive » Sydney Mini-Animania 2009

March 31st, 2009 at 3:34 pm

[...] Moé Moé Rabu [...]

Necroseer

March 31st, 2009 at 4:42 pm

Luckily I came in later that day. No line at all! XD Alright…a shorter line :P

Didn’t see many people that day though :S Might as well have been chilling it out at the stage while I just walked around aimlessly. Sighs.

And I’ve got to agree with everyone that Al Azif was the best individual one there that day. On the other hand it’s also because I’m a nitro fan ^^

phossil

March 31st, 2009 at 11:42 pm

The Rozen Maiden cosplay looked very funny!!
Nice event and pics btw.

Snark

April 1st, 2009 at 11:10 pm

Hey, wasn’t that .Hack cosplayer from the States or something? Gotta admit, I’m quite surprised people would fly so far for a convention O.o

Anyways, hope to see you round main animania >=D

Snark’s last blog post..Taikutsu Theater Presents – The Fanfics of Haruhi Suzumiya

Koshiko

April 3rd, 2009 at 11:17 am

Aww~ I wanted to go u_u~ When’s the next anime con? Hope I won’t have to miss another one if there’s one this month =o

Glad you had fun Adun :3 Erika certainly looked pretty next to all her new friends x3

…was that Cabbage cosplaying? =o

Koshiko’s last blog post..Where on earth is Koshiko!?

dice

April 5th, 2009 at 11:23 pm

Wow its really nice to noe that the culture is picking up well out of Asia. looks like you’ve had fun! :D

Darklyss

April 20th, 2009 at 11:14 am

Waaaaa!!! How did hubby and I miss this??? WAAAAAAAAA!

Hello fellow Sydney-ite! Looks like I’ll have to pay closer attention to your blog from now on! LOL

Darklyss

Darklyss’s last blog post..Spacious, open-plan living: Tokyo style.

Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L Lens GET! at Moé Moé Rabu

April 20th, 2009 at 11:14 pm

[...] not taking an entire wage packet. Another reason was I was pretty unhappy with the quality of my Mini-Animania Sydney 2009 photos that I decided it’s time for a new lens. Though I did come at a dilemma of choosing [...]

Darek

May 1st, 2009 at 8:47 pm

I missed out on Mini-Animania. :< I was just heading to UTS Library to study after shopping in Chatswood when I saw cosplayers walking out onto the street and only then did I remember about Mini-Animania but it was around 4pm or so…so I didn’t go in. :<

Hatchuu

May 11th, 2009 at 7:15 pm

Cool, a anime con in Sydney ^^ I live in Canberra.
I really want to attend one one day, I’d love to cosplay too.
I like the Chobits and Al Alzif aswell. That Kotaro is also appealing too, just because I know that character >< Oh, and the Rozen Maiden cosplayer.

I love the Erika Sendo Dolfie! It’s quite nice. The other ones creep me out a bit though. XD

Sydney Convention Season 09 is upon us! at Moé Moé Rabu

June 25th, 2009 at 10:00 pm

[...] for 2009 is Supanova Sydney held this weekend at The Dome, Sydney Olympic Park. The first was Mini-Animania Sydney. Even though I go to these conventions every year, I think these next few will be interesting for [...]