The New Wave of Sounds

March 24, 2009 | Author: | In: Everyday Life, Miscellaneous

With the incomplete demise of my speakers of 8 years, it was time to acquire a new set. My previous set was a Logitech Z-640 and back in the days of when I bought them, they were the best buy for 5.1 surround sound. Today technology has advanced a lot where you can get 5.1 for the cheap, but since I can spend that little extra for that next level of harmonic euphoria I went for the best: the Logitech Z-5500 Digital.

Though when I headed off to the shop to buy them, I was surprised by the size of the box. Before I thought it wasn’t that large but the box itself is just as large as the $1000 box of loot. Except this was about 3 times heavier and carrying this to the car after a day of paintball was quite a task. I could really feel the weight of the $400 that I spent on these speakers.

So opening up the box I came to another surprise at how big the items were inside. Having everything out of the box I totally underestimated the size of everything and was worried about trying to fit the subwoofer and satellite speakers to their respective locations. Firstly lets have a look at the subwoofer.

This thing is MASSIVE. I didn’t think you could get PC subwoofers the size of this. The sheer size was practically 2/3 of the box that it was in. To understand the size think of the size of Alter’s Yagami Hayate box, that is the size of this subwoofer. At the back you have the usual plugs but also something you don’t see on many subwoofers. A heatsink. I imagine that’s where the amplfier is since they can get pretty hot. I know since I have one in my car.

This was also stuck on the top of the subwoofer when I pulled it out of the box. So it currently sits under my desk as a nice large footrest. The problem with it being so large is that it just fits but I now sometimes accidentally kick it. So instead I always just put my feet up and I can also feel the slight heat coming from the heatsink.

Just like the subwoofer, these speakers are quiet large, almost double the size of the Z-640 satellite speakers. The speaker itself, without the legs, are slightly taller than a figma. With the old set, I mainly had to place 5 pieces, but with the Z-5500, there was the control hub which made it the 6th item to place. This required my to move around a few things to find a place for it. Eventually I placed it on the top shelf amongst the DVDs. It’s a good thing this comes with a remote so I don’t have to get up, lol.

It took a while to setup everything mainly because it was tricky removing the old speakers due to the cabling around the room, but even trickier placing in the new wiring for the new system. Once done it was time to test it out and straight away I can tell the difference. I can also start hearing different sounds from the music I play that I don’t normally pick up, but more importantly, I have my surround sound back. Also the thing about having such a system as this, it’s something I will use for the entertainment system for when I have my own place since these can hook up to not just PCs, but consoles and televisions as well.

The only thing now is to configure everything to my liking which will take a little time. Hopefully I can also test out exactly how loud these speakers go, but with 1000 watts of pure pumping audio, I’m sure my neighbours three houses down can hear it clearly. And that’s more power than the stereo system in my car.

14 Responses to The New Wave of Sounds

ron~

March 24th, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I have that speaker for almost 4 years now, very good speaker :) not the best but it’s definitely superb. good buy!

now get big LCD TV and blu-ray player, you’ll get yourself a good home theater :D

ron~’s last blog post..Happy 2nd Birthday to my Playstation 3

anonymous_object

March 25th, 2009 at 1:31 am

Looks pretty impressive, hope you don’t annoy the neighbors too much. Perhaps they’re just a bit overpowered ;)
I think I need to replace my aging Altec Lansing speaker set. Been thinking about getting some high quality headphones instead of speakers though.

anonymous_object’s last blog post..Kotobukiya 1/6 Hinagiku Katsura

TJ

March 25th, 2009 at 10:44 am

Nice speakers… should be great to annoy the neighbors with lol, and to spit out beautiful 5.1 surround sound of course.

TJ’s last blog post..Review: Linebarrels of Iron

valho

March 25th, 2009 at 11:33 am

I am still using my Logitech Z-640, been serving me for years. That’s looks like a nice set of speakers, my friend own one and it’s pretty good according to him. I think I’ll have a hard time trying to fit those speakers on my table, they are very much bigger than the Z-640

valho’s last blog post..New pre-orders from Alter

balance

March 25th, 2009 at 12:13 pm

you dont really have to keep electric 2 feet away from the sub as long as there is 30cm distance it is still good IMO, I even rested my htc phone on the sub when it was charging and it still works fine ><

balance’s last blog post..White Album – 12

March 25th, 2009 at 9:44 pm

I would recommend to turn down the bass when watching anime or movies at night because the bass itself can wake anyone up. My Z-2300 does just that already. :D

Optic’s last blog post..Site Updates

March 26th, 2009 at 9:00 am

The amusing thing is that my neighbours house is practically 3 metres from my window and I’ve played music quite loud before and I’ve never had them come over and complain. Still I’m rather tempted to see how loud these speakers can go.

Zeroblade

March 26th, 2009 at 8:12 pm

Wow, awesomeness. My setup’s a pair of headphones for the PC, and a cheapo 4.1 for the PS2. I have no other consoles orz

Zeroblade’s last blog post..Winter Season Thoughts

oOgA

March 29th, 2009 at 11:37 am

nice speakers there, didnt get it for me yet cos of the size of my room, not feasible. 1000W is powerful…..for the bills :P

oOgA’s last blog post..Akikan OVA Confirmed!

Koshiko

April 3rd, 2009 at 11:23 am

Awesome~ Now you can enjoy that shiny new soundcard you got too x3

There’s absolutely no space in my room for a big monster like that though xD;;

Koshiko’s last blog post..Where on earth is Koshiko!?

Windbell

April 11th, 2009 at 12:48 pm

Hey! Now you will get even lazier since you don’t have to move around to change your volume! :p

I’m looking to get either a Creative Gigaworks T3 or something similar. Not too fond of using a 5.1 as I don’t set it up to a surround environment and the wires make it look messy ^^

Windbell’s last blog post..Acer Aspire One AOD 150

alafista

April 11th, 2009 at 11:47 pm

Looks really cool, but I don’t have space on my desk for a 5.1 system.

James Bond Ultimate DVD Boxset at Moé Moé Rabu

April 26th, 2009 at 12:26 am

[...] of the other reasons I bought this boxset was to test out my new speakers in Dolby Digital and DTS surround sound. All I can say is OMFG it sounds so awesome. So over the [...]

The Place I Call Home and Work at Moé Moé Rabu

May 16th, 2009 at 8:20 pm

[...] books. You’ll notice on the top shelf of the computer desk is the main control center for my Logitech Z-5500. It was so big that I couldn’t fit it anywhere on the [...]