Computer Woes

March 20, 2009 | Author: | In: Everyday Life, Miscellaneous

Back in the days I always thought that computers were awesome and that they were an all powerful tool in our everyday lives. Well they still are a very powerful tool, but nothing lasts forever. Things break down, and just my luck it happened to me once again. Over the past years I’ve always built my computers and from every single build I’ve always had a problem with onboard sound cards where every single one has had different issues. Last week I noticed that I wasn’t getting my usual surround sound and after a messing around for a bit (around about 5 minutes) I figured it was the sound card.

So I went out and bought myself a new sound card since replacing the motherboard would be a pain. Yes a nifty new Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium. The amusing thing is that this card isn’t listed on the Creative Australia site so I’m assuming its only available in Asia. Anyway plug everything in and try it out. Still no surround sound. After a few tests I realised that it was my speakers themselves. *sigh* There goes $179 AUD. Roobar told me I should tested my speakers on another system but that requires a lot of effort to get the speakers out.

So for the time being I have only sound from the front speakers and I’ll be looking at getting new speakers whenever I get paid. These speakers have lasted me a good 8 years and with a decent amount of money I can look forward to getting a decent set of speakers (looking at getting the Logitech Z-5500). Have you ever had silly computer woes like this?

15 Responses to Computer Woes

valho

March 20th, 2009 at 4:34 pm

With computer, things do breakdown sometimes. I have had a graphic card and a motherboard breakdown on me within a span of few months. And sometimes it’s easy to make a mistake on which parts that is causing the problem, probably would have to test it one by one if want to make sure. But at least now you got a great soundcard there, just need a new speakers to go with it :)

valho’s last blog post..New pre-orders from Alter

pp

March 20th, 2009 at 10:05 pm

I get this sort of “ill-treatment” from the computer too and pretty the rest of us too. It’s great to solve the problem but always have to spend a bit more money to realise what is wrong and what isn’t.

pp’s last blog post..Bitterstick girl .. THE END

March 20th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

My router was the biggest woe. After living with it for almost 3 years, I finally gave it the boot and I could not be happier. Now, I don’t need to reset it every 2-3 days.

Optic’s last blog post..Zero no Tsukaima ~Louise Photo Collection~: My Impressions

Panther

March 21st, 2009 at 1:39 am

Computer hardware. Sometimes, it just is so lulzy to figure them out. Then again maybe you could have checked the speakers first, but yea if it was complex… :\

I hardly have woes since I kind of change like once every 2 years but am trying to outlast my current rig which I estimate can last about 3 years. Hopefully, it works till 4-5 and maybe even more.

Panther’s last blog post..Tokyo Anime Fair 2009 Figures

Persocom-san

March 21st, 2009 at 5:23 am

I think every computer I’ve owned (excluding the last one I bought) has had the sound card fry out in it. I hate having to replace computer parts but it beats having to buy a new one altogether I guess.

Persocom-san’s last blog post..Arin 1/8 PVC by GoodSmile Company

TJ

March 21st, 2009 at 10:58 am

Yeah computers are like this. I remembered that time where mine suddenly died and back then I didn’t learn the importance of backing up stuff. Needless to say I backup regularly now. I also had a number of other parts that needed to be replaced, but those were better than losing the hard disk without backup.

TJ’s last blog post..One Piece 536

March 21st, 2009 at 9:10 pm

Had a power supply fail on me one time but most often my computer will die of a virus. That’s why a backup all my files on 2 harddrives. Never know when my laptop will die on me, get stolen, or get a unrecoverable error message.

Hope your speaker situation works out.

Punynari’s last blog post..GIFT Patchouli Knowledge Pics

gordon

March 21st, 2009 at 10:28 pm

my current PC is over a year old. piror to this, i have been using my precious PC for close to 7 years! a PIII 1Gig, windows ME and 512MB ram. i was waiting and waiting for it to break down so that i can finally buy a new one but it never did. it was that hardy! but decided to buy a new one anyway in Dec 07.

gordon’s last blog post..The 501st Legion Singapore Garrison Celebrates St Patrick’s Day Parade 2009

xkylex

March 22nd, 2009 at 8:22 pm

The Z-5500′s rule, probably the best made-for-PC speakers money can buy. Only problem is my control deck backlight doesn’t work anymore but it’s a minor issue.

phossil

March 23rd, 2009 at 8:26 am

My major problem with my PC its the graphic card. I cant play HL2 because of it.

phossil’s last blog post..Hatsune Miku Gallery

James

March 23rd, 2009 at 9:42 am

I always seem to have problems with the video card burning out. Although I don’t mind upgrading one to two times a year ^_^

March 23rd, 2009 at 10:00 am

I must say some people sure have had it pretty tough with their computer woes. This is the first one I’ve had in a while though I suppose in a way it also helps that my computer is on 24/7 and is hardly switched off. I tend to find problems when I switch my computer off, then turn it back on.

Oh and yes I have resolved my speaker problem which you’ll see in another post.

icie

March 23rd, 2009 at 7:35 pm

My desktop died some time ago, and I’ve been using a laptop as my main system since then. It’s quite painful since the laptop graphics are not the most powerful thing in the world. Still waiting to save up enough for a new build.

Roy

March 24th, 2009 at 7:23 am

Ouch that sucks,sorry to hear what happened man,we never really look for the obvious eh haha hope things get better :)

Roy’s last blog post..Nice Day Today Eh?

rangerroh

March 24th, 2009 at 9:39 am

I understand your pain about computers. I my remember building my computer with the best stuff and spending over 2000 dollars. Now its a piece junk. I cant even play high graphic games unless I make a new computer. Sigh……

rangerroh’s last blog post..My Hikikomori (引き籠もり) life starts now…