Dollfie Dream Sendo Erika

February 12, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Dollfies, Merchandise, Photography

Having been a figure collector for so many years (5 year to be in fact), I have somewhat reached a point where figure collecting seems to have almost lost it’s glamour and excitement. Fortunately the realm of otakuism spans out to many different paths and the one path that drew my attention was the world of dollfies. As a ventured deeper into this unknown territory I began to find that excitement once again and even began yearning for my very own. Well my trip to Japan last year in August was the opportunity to satisfy my hunger and would take me to the next level of otakuism, and what I got myself was a dollfie dream, Sendo Erika.

Erika is the main heroine from August Soft’s Fortune Arterial and is my favourite character (although I haven’t actually played the game itself). But I have to admit that Erika wasn’t my first choice when shopping around in Akiba. There were other dollfie dreams I had my eye on but when I saw Erika on display at Volks Akiba branch I was mesmerized by her sheer beauty. However I didn’t get her until I was sure I could not find the other ones that I was searching for. But my good friend Roobar bought himself a dollfie before me and I was adamant in getting Erika now.

Although my luck ran out as towards the end of the trip when I wanted to buy her, I found that the Volks store had sold out. So scouring the various shops of Akiba I just couldn’t find her anywhere. Returning once again the next day, the gods had smiled upon me and I found her in Mandarake Akiba for practically the retail price.

Once I was back in Australia, it did take me a while to get around to taking her out of her box. One reason is that I didn’t want to get her all dirty, but deep down I knew I wanted her out of the box (as did some curious friends). So dressing her up to see the final result, all I can say is that it was love at first sight.

I had once again found that excitement in otakuism. Just seeing the beauty of dollfies was like staring at a piece of art. I would sit there and admire as the time passed taking note of every single detail. Of course I did the same with some of the figures in my collection but with a dollfie it’s different, and I can’t quite explain it.

There are two great things about dollfies: ball joints which allows you to pose them, and the fact that they are customizable. Knowing the various possibilities of dressing up Erika was definitely exciting, but for the time being I shall stay with the default clothes. Plus who doesn’t like a girl in school uniform?

Eventually I decided to stop being lazy and at least try to take some photos. Of course I soon learned that taking photos of dollfies is different to figures. As I mentioned before with posing them, it was quite difficult getting the right look. With figures it’s much more simpler since the pose is static and you just have to find the right angle. A dollfie on the other hand, just by having any part not in the right position can be quite frustrating for a perfectionist like myself.

But on the brighter side it can be quite fun. It allowed me to try and be a bit more creative and the idea behind this photo shoot was to have that sunlight shining through in the background look, but it seems that I got a different result. This is also the first time I used an external flash for a photo shoot. The one thing that I couldn’t seem to get right is the emphasis on the eyes. In many of the dollfie photos that I have seen you can see their eyes with a lot of depth. Guess I might need some help from my dollfie friend on getting that right.

Anyway this is only the first photo shoot of Erika. As I explore the dollfie world more expect to see more photos of Erika, and hopefully better quality ones at that. I also hope I can fix her hair as well as it’s a little messy from when I was placing the wig on, but with such curly hair it’s proving quite difficult. Still her hair really is so pretty and it’s only one of the things that I love about her.

So does this mean that my wallet now has a much larger hole? Well yes and no. I did buy her a chair for her to sit on, and that costs me $65 AUD and I have another set of clothes for her already which I bought for a large sum (no thanks to the fall of the Aussie dollar). But alas I can only go so far in this newfound hobby as I’ll probably be looking at financial ruin if I delve any further. When I went to my first dollfie meet I was warned by the collectors that once you have one you’ll want another one. At first I thought one will do, but boy was I wrong. I do want another one. Perhaps in the future I’ll get another one. In the mean time, the only thing I’m looking for now is a teacup and saucer.

Despite saying that I lost the excitement in collecting figures, I’m still collecting, but I’m also have become very selective in what I buy. I would like to think I can balance figures and dollfies, but only time will tell. But for now Erika is the one and only for me. She is my princess. And nothing can replace her, unless I get myself a girlfriend.

Well hopefully I have enlightened some of you in the beauty of dollfies. Do look forward to future photo shoots of Erika and even photo shoots of Roobar’s dollfie. Also I found out a few weeks ago that SMASH 2008 had a dollfie photography competition. If they have another one for 2009 I may enter it myself.

23 Responses to Dollfie Dream Sendo Erika

dice

February 12th, 2009 at 1:06 am

OMG!!! I love her uniform! *blush* and her hair mecha lovely!
You see~ who said that boys don’t play with dolls. LOL

dice’s last blog post..Signum Needes … Me

Panther

February 12th, 2009 at 1:13 am

Did you do this on purpose? Did you? ;\

I prefer a more…hostile look…or less…anime-like. Unfortunately I suppose I have to go right to Akiba to find a dollfie I want, because the only ones I found that I liked were either event exclusives from years ago (and I have no idea how to find them now, do you?) or ones that are sold in Japan only.

As for getting more than one I doubt I will have the financial ability to get more than one even if I do get one and want another. So I suppose I will be able to restrain myself in that aspect unless I get lucky financially.

Panther’s last blog post..Gift’s Saber

Aya Kyunik

February 12th, 2009 at 1:38 am

Oh ho!
Finally some photos!
I understand what you mean about the differences between figure and dollfie photography, and it’s one I’m finding a lil challenging. Especially when I still only have default hands to work on ^^; At least you have a chair to use.

When I was looking around for a dollfie, everyone, from online forums to actual dollfie meetups, said that once you get one, you’ll want more. I told myself, “No, I’ll only pamper this one dollfie!”… now look where am at, I have two. Curse Volks and Type-Moon, Saber Alter was my greatest weakness!!

So in that regard, I expect to see another dollfie at your place in the future XD

Aya Kyunik’s last blog post..Return of the King

BakaTanuki

February 12th, 2009 at 2:06 am

I’ve never really had interest in dollfie before, but seeing these pictures… she looks fantastic.

I must resist buying one of these crazy things. >_<

BakaTanuki’s last blog post..Palm Scenery Hazuki (Moon Phase) figure review

phossil

February 12th, 2009 at 6:53 am

AWESOME!!!
Dollfie Erika looks great!! I like the hair and uniform.

Archangel Shear

February 12th, 2009 at 9:04 am

Wow. That’s…wow.
I just recently started collecting regular figures, yet those photos already have me yearning for a dollfie of my own. If only I could afford one…

Also, I was wondering if I could add you to my blogroll? I recently started blogging as well, and I admire the quality of yours.

Archangel Shear’s last blog post..What I Have So Far

February 12th, 2009 at 9:57 am

dice: Yes I’m indeed a boy who plays with dolls, lol. Well a big boy.

Panther: I have no idea what you are on about, nihahaha. Which dollfie are you looking for as I’m sure one will appear on YJA now and then.

Aya Kyunik: Well Erika does need someone to keep her company, so you’ll more than likely see another dollfie in the future.

Archangel Shear: To go onto collecting dollfies is a big step, and requires a big wallet. By all means add me to your blogroll.

chun

February 12th, 2009 at 10:53 am

Yey for pix! she’s really beautiful and I enjoyed your pix! :)

chun’s last blog post..Making of the Mirai Seifuku

Panther

February 12th, 2009 at 11:14 am

Sirius prototype blue (the nekomimi), released as an event exclusive back in May 2005. That would be nearly 4 years ago and I wonder whether or not I can even find her now in Japan.

The next nearest will probably be Kanu Uncho’s limited version, and her normal version that is currently on sale but only in Japan. However Sirius tops both Kanus for me (other than the Dynamite Dream body) in terms of both looks and cost (35K as opposed to over 60K is easy to decide).

Panther’s last blog post..Gift’s Saber

valho

February 12th, 2009 at 11:40 am

She looks nice, I guess collecting dollfie is just like collecting figures, once you started it’s hard to stop. Except dollfie cost more ^^, not a realm I want to venture into. Nice photos btw ^^

valho’s last blog post..Shipment from PA

ron~

February 12th, 2009 at 3:25 pm

the only thing that stop me buy dollfie is the price.. I’ve always wanted to get one.. but with the current A$.. i think i won’t get one soon

ron~’s last blog post..1/8 Ma-ryan ~ Kotobukiya

Steven Den Beste

February 13th, 2009 at 5:08 am

How big is she? Your pictures do a good job of hiding the scale. (Deliberately, I assume.)

February 13th, 2009 at 7:14 am

Panther: One of the other dollfies I want was released about 3-4 years ago and at time I see it on YJA. It just depends on your luck on seeing it for auction. But still, it all comes down to price and with the current financial markets in ruin, it doesn’t help.

valho: Definitely. You can have so much fun with dollfies since you have the customisation of them.

ron~: If you get one, you can meet up with Aya and have doll parties!

Steven Den Beste: When Erika is standing up, she stands roughly 60cm tall. They’re quite large.

February 13th, 2009 at 10:40 am

The opportunity to see her in real life was a real treat because in most cases, the only way to see her is to buy her.
While I still appreciate the photo’s, seeing her in real life gave me a different perspective on dollfies where no photo’s can capture.

Atm, dollfies are way out of my league due to price. @_@

Optic’s last blog post..More series in a box

February 13th, 2009 at 12:01 pm

Realistic lol, a bit too realistic to me :P. The clothing material looks real nice though.

AS’s last blog post..Code Geass is now legal to watch online (In the US)

February 13th, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Very nice Adun. I saw this Dollfie Dream in person just yesterday (for the first time). She was gorgous. Stunning even. I wanted to take a picture so bad but both the store manager and clerk were in there. Mandarke frowns on picture taking. Plus, they combed her hair perfectly. I can’t do that at all. Maybe I’ll ask my mom to fix my Dollfie Dreams hair when I get back.

My favorite shot of yours is the third one from the top. As you say, its hard to pose Dollfie Dreams naturally. Good job there.

And I completely agree with the wanting more than one DD once you buy one. After buying one, one becomes numb to the 40,000-50,000 yen price tag.

Punynari’s last blog post..Rare Figures

megami

February 14th, 2009 at 12:56 am

Ooooh adun!! she is gorgeous. would love to see her in real life!
=)
come to the next dollie meet !!! :D:D:D:D:D:D

ETERNAL

February 15th, 2009 at 7:54 am

Really, who doesn’t like a girl in school uniform? ;P

ETERNAL’s last blog post..So Apparently There’s This Thing Called Valentine’s Day…

meronpan

February 24th, 2009 at 7:05 pm

all this dollfie love is insane! i’m scared i’ll get into them one day… ^^;;

they don’t happen to have a kiriha dollfie do they? :P erika’s true route was my favorite but kiriha’s was 2nd after that.

you need a cup of tea to pose her with now! ^_^

meronpan’s last blog post..Akiba Loot

February 24th, 2009 at 7:30 pm

meronpan: They indeed make a Kiriha dollfie dream. This link has some pictures: http://store.volksusa.com/kyoto5kiriha.html

Rejhina

March 6th, 2009 at 3:32 pm

I came across this on Google. Now I know what a Dollfie is. . . . and now I want one so badly. ;-;
Erika is BEAUTIFUL!

Meimi132

April 28th, 2009 at 3:28 am

I want her… I want…. WAAAAAANT…….

Taylor Mew

April 5th, 2010 at 10:18 pm

I have her!And i have a mashiro dollfie dream from the anime Tayutama.Im only 13,but i have alot of figma’s and dollfie dream’s too!But i have a sugesstion,Don’t buy stuff from ebay.Cause if you try to buy those doll’s.they’ll coast over $1,000 or more!Maybe you call someone or email somebody if they know where to buy dollfie dream.If you do have any questions,Email me!:)twag_11@hotmail.com.You can ask me anything about them.but if its a question i won’t understand than i may not email right away!