Top Gear Live

February 8, 2009 | Author: | In: Car, Conventions & Events, Everyday Life

Being a rev-head, I thoroughly enjoy watching Top Gear UK whenever it airs. So when I heard about Top Gear Live coming to Sydney from my sister I was excited. Unfortunately being an otaku with otaku friends, I didn’t have many people I could ask to come with me. Instead I dragged Roobar along to come with me. I didn’t know what to expect of Top Gear Live but either way, I knew it was going to be an enjoyable show. Hit the jump to read more.

Although tickets were on sale for a number of weeks, I kind of left it till a few week before the actual show. Seeing the availability left the only option was to go for the best seats, which costs $250 AUD each. Well it wasn’t such a bad thing as Roobar and I got front row seats in the section we were in. We went to the Friday 8pm show and arrived at the Acer Arena about 40 minutes before showtime, and the place was packed.It’s been a while since I went to a live show and to see this many people was pretty astonishing.

Upon passing the entrance gate there is plenty to see and do just outside the Acer Arena. Plenty of cars out for display ranging from V8 supercars, European exotics, and some of your everyday cars. Some of the highlights for me was getting up and close to a Lotus Elise as well as the Aston Martin DB9 as these cars at the Motor Show are normally behind fences. Although our browsing was short lived as the show was about to commence, but here are some quick photos that I managed:

Once we found our seats, we realised how awesome our seats were given that they were front row seats. Being on the side section gave me a clear view of the backstage area where some of the cars were waiting to come out for the show. This is the only photo of the show since photography isn’t allowed during the show. Plus knowing the lighting conditions with a point and shoot there was no point in attempting. But this gives a gauge of the amount of people and where I was sitting.

The show started off with advertisement clips of the sponsors and even a small singing performance for NavMan. Eventually the real show started and with a bang. As Jeremy Clarkson and Richard Hammond drove out we had fireworks flying about and exploding which was certainly a surprise since one landed right in front of us. Though with the absence of James May, they got Steve Pizzati from Top Gear Australia to stand in however for most of the show, he ended up being the butt of most of the jokes.

As the show went on, we got a taste of some stunt driving in Ferraris, a round death cage with four French motorbike riders, some classic car soccer, the Cool Wall, and a simulation lap of the Top Gear test track. Pretty much what we got was a piece of what the Top Gear show is like, except live. Everything was there including the usual humour and wit that we normally see from Clarkson, except with some fireworks and some rather hot flames shooting out. On the show floor there are concrete barriers around with nozzles on them which shoot out flames. Being in the front row you could certainly feel the heat.

Overall the show was enjoyable, except with the last segment of the show. We had a re-enactment of the Lotus VS fighter helicopter where we had The Stig driving the Lotus and a 3D rendition of the helicopter of the screen. My eyes were mainly on the Lotus going around drifting whilst explosions of fireworks were happening at the same time. This was also the only time the Stig actually came out which is rather disappointing. And with the end of the show Clarkson had this to say: “Now you’ve all seen some pretty crazy driving tonight, but when you’re driving home on public roads, it’s important to remember to drive … fast”

Still I enjoyed the show very much despite still dying from the chicken pox. I laughed enough to make me start coughing up a lung again. And of course I bought myself a Stig t-shirt and program as a souvenir.

9 Responses to Top Gear Live

February 9th, 2009 at 9:21 am

These guys crack me up.
I’m not a fan of the show myself but my workmates are really into it and u just can’t help but overhearing the jokes these guys make.

Optic’s last blog post..A Mini Tower of boxes

Koshiko

February 9th, 2009 at 9:18 pm

Hey Adun~ glad you enjoyed the show. My dad has control of the remote whenever I do end up watching TV so I haven’t seen much of Top Gear apart from a few older reruns u_u~

How are you feeling otherwise? If I knew how to make chicken soup I would’ve come over xD;; Anyhow, considering you only get sick 4 times a year, maybe these attacks have fulfilled the quota for the year? Take care~

Mark Thomas

February 10th, 2009 at 6:10 am

Glad you enjoyed the show. I missed the live show here in the UK but I guess we’re lucky in that we get the TV shows straight away. I’ve heard mixed review of the Aus version of the show – never seen one yet though.

Mark Thomas’s last blog post..PS3 sales period to outlast that of the PS2 – according to Sony

Sonictail

February 11th, 2009 at 1:05 am

Heh, it’s awesome to finally see someone else who attended. Jacky managed to get some reasonable shots in during car soccer and yeah, my crew was dissapointed by the “stig”‘s appearance. How did you session go for the hot lap?

We also made the mistake of arriving late :p

February 11th, 2009 at 6:40 am

Koshiko: Feeling a lot better nowadays but still coughing up a lung.

Mark Thomas: The Aus version doesn’t have that charm and uniqueness that the UK version has. Though it’s only been one season so far so hopefully they can do better in the second season.

Sonictail: Our session came in 2nd in the hot lap and they used a picture of Jesus to represent our session.

RocK_M

February 17th, 2009 at 6:05 pm

Ah damn you! I was actually looking forward to watching that show as well… funding issues and timing meant i had to unfortunately pass up on the AWESOMENESS that is Top Gear live >.<

Matt Graham

March 1st, 2009 at 9:24 am

Hi, I went to the first show in Sydney on the Thursday night. Me being a kid was a very cool experiance. I watch the show every Monday and never miss an episode. I also agree that the stig’s performance was a bit low. Otherwise, it was a great show because I got VIP tickets for the after party. I met them all.

Love The Beast Tickets GET! at Moé Moé Rabu

March 5th, 2009 at 8:11 pm

[...] friend Roobar, even though he has no interests in cars he still came with me when I went to watch Top Gear Live. Plus who could say no to a free ticket? Too bad this ticket can only be used between Monday and [...]

oprina

April 21st, 2009 at 2:07 am

I personally believe that life should be lived to the fullest everyday and my way of doing that is with the roar of machines. The world of motorsports is a thrilling and visceral universe that provides intense experiences and fufilment. If you love adventure and feel your adrenaline level hiking whenever you hear the sound of a throbbing engine visit http://motorsports.com/ and get your daily fix of the BUG.