Moé Moé Rabu’s next adventure?

January 11, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Everyday Life

In any kind of job, one is given a certain amount of annual leave each year (for me it’s 5 weeks). Over the course of 3 months at work I have somewhat been mentally drained from it all and coming to a point where everyday just seems to be a blur. I’m not sure why that is so, perhaps it’s the solo management I have to do when developing applications for clients, the constant “feature creep” that clients do, or maybe that I don’t have a fellow co-worker to keep me company (about 70% of the time I’m in the office alone).

Anyway Roobar pointed out to me that it’s close to 6 months since we went away for our Japan holiday and it’s probably perhaps time that I go on another one. Although to me 6 months doesn’t seem to be that long but you know how time flies when working. Since my income is a reasonable amount, and that I have slowed down on my online purchases, I figured that I should head overseas once again. But the million dollar question is where? There are many places that I want to visit and experience, but for the next adventure I’m thinking of either Hong Kong or Singapore (currently leaning towards Singapore). I would prefer to go to Venice, but that kind of trip is on a much grander scale as I would like to visit other European countries at the same time.

I suppose one way to see this is a short and simple holiday. Some would probably suggest Japan, but in all seriousness I’m bored of Japan and that I’m more than likely to spend a god awful amount of money again. So yes, with this short and simple holiday I prefer to not spend so much. So with a choice of Hong Kong or Singapore, I know that I can get relatives and some friends to show me around Hong Kong, but I know nothing of Singapore. Windbell once said to me that I should only visit Singapore for nice cheap food. Obviously there should be more to Singapore than this so for those reading this, are there other things to do in Singapore? Is it even worth going there for a holiday? I’d like to hear the opinions for Singapore residents and those from other countries who have visited Singapore. Also this will probably be my first solo trip overseas.

Of course all this is a thought in progress, so nothing is concrete at the moment.

21 Responses to Moé Moé Rabu’s next adventure?

khardic_paladin

January 11th, 2009 at 12:29 am

GO TO HK
FIND ALF
LOL

TedFox

January 11th, 2009 at 12:46 am

There are a lot more tourists attraction these days… that arn’t really announced to the locals. It’s like gems.

But singapore really is a mixture of stuff. Jack of all trades with strength in none. But the mixture is really something also

TedFox’s last blog post..Retro End Of Year 2008

Kairu Ishimaru

January 11th, 2009 at 12:51 am

I should have some adventures also. T_T

Kairu Ishimaru’s last blog post..Im Starting To Forget ‘Anime’

CherylHew

January 11th, 2009 at 1:20 am

Well I’m a Malaysian so I;m living just above Singapore… I don’t know if I can talk much about Singapore because I can only compare it to Malaysia (which is god awful to me LOL) so when compared to Australia.. Hm, yeah, you should go there for the food LOL I personally feel Malaysia’s betetr in terms of food (just preference) but I’m sure it’ll be a blast for a food fan over there, with a mix of so many kinds of cuisine at dirt cheap prices compared to Australia (AUD6 for a ROTI CANAI!?!?!?!) Though, during my recent trip there, I kind of felt lost in a way in such a bustling place and people seemed less friendlier than in Malaysia… God knows how many people I banged into while just walking LOLGo ring up the SG bloggers, they seem like a great bunch who always meet up with bloggers who visit Singapore XD

Oh yeah, do try chewing some gum in Singapore. It’s fantastic seeing the Singaporeans stare at you while you do so LOL

Panther

January 11th, 2009 at 2:54 am

Eh SG has nothing, other than cheap food maybe, and yes, as TedFox mentioned, the mixture. There is nothing special here. Maybe except meet the multitudes of bloggers rofl.

Panther’s last blog post..Calling Dibs on Vanille FF13

January 11th, 2009 at 4:53 am

So far, in the Navy, I have been to Singapore, Guam, Saipan, Cambodia, and Vietnam. Out of those port visits, the general concensus amoung those on my ship is that Singapore is “boring” and “expensive”. Now, I have not left the base so I really can’t make that judgement but thats what other sailors think. Guam was relaxing as was Saipan. Cambodia was alot of fun. Your money is worth alot there and you can pay to do pretty much anything. Some people in my division paid to shoot AK-47s, RPGs, and Gernades. Vietnam was BEAUTIFUL. A tour guide is a must there though and I don’t know how one would go about visiting a Communist country.

I would love to visit Hong Kong. For some reason, my ship never seems to make it there. Perhaps because we are rarely with the carrier.

Punynari’s last blog post..New Cabinet and All Figures Opened

Steven Den Beste

January 11th, 2009 at 5:10 am

For whatever it’s worth, all the guys who post on Riuva are in Singapore.

I’m sure they’d be glad to offer you advice if you asked for it.

icie

January 11th, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Try out Taiwan or Korea? Or even Europe, the Mediterranean, etc?

gordon

January 11th, 2009 at 12:59 pm

if u have decided to come to singapore, let me know should u need someone to show u around. ^^;

gordon’s last blog post..Haruhi Hits the Beach

January 11th, 2009 at 2:38 pm

khardic_paladin: Indeed I will if I go.

TedFox: It’s those gems that I’m hoping to find out about. Though I figured that some of the locals would know a few.

CherylHew: Food is something that I don’t get overly excited about and it’s not the reason I would choose to visit SG.

Panther: Well I would like to meet a few of SG bloggers if I go.

Punynari: The other places that you have mentioned are places that I’m not really interested in visiting. Well not at this point.

icie: Europe is currently out of the question as I’m looking for a short and cheap holiday. I do have plans on heading to Europe but of course it’ll be a much more extravagant adventure.

gordon: That I will do.

January 11th, 2009 at 7:20 pm

Well, I would suggest Hong Kong (considering I came back there not too long ago lol) as there are a few fun places where it will take ur mind off things. The two main places off course is Ocean Park and DisneyLand but considering you’ve been to the Japan one, u might realised this one could be the same. Also shopping is fun. U will find they have a lot more variety when it comes to clothes and gadgets compared to here. If u feel like otaku shopping as well, then they are not too hard to find as well. :)

Optic’s last blog post..Cooking with Tomoyo

pp

January 12th, 2009 at 12:46 am

you should go hong kong ! Actually the best of both worlds is to go hong kong for 2-3 weeks and on your return trip , stop by Singapore for 2 days or so. Try the “cheap” and “good” food.

But sadly with the recent case of bird flu(go google, last few weeks) , their bird-type food(duck,chicken,goose,quails,eggs) is on the low supply but no fret their seafood and other meat still very wonderful. Shopping in Hong kong is really fun, all the shops are so cramp together, looking and hunting down item really is a challenge. but it helps to know how to speak canto, their english and chinese still not that well also.

Oh but hotel wise, equally expensive here(singapore) and hong kong. Do look out online for promotions, i stayed in a 5-star hotel for one night with twin king size bed for 1/4 of their original price the other time i went. Transport wise, very easy both from the airport and in the city, don’t bother taking taxi/cab!

pp’s last blog post..KKnM new arrivals (week 2 of 09)

Rin

January 12th, 2009 at 4:37 pm

Well Adun I do say you should go to Hong Kong…
As you might had known, I went to HK before I went to Japan and it was one heck of an experience…
A lot of sights to see and amazing night views…
I do say HK is you best pick!!!!!!
Besides….having family and friends in HK is great help in finding great places to eat and such…

Rin’s last blog post..A Week in Toronto 4

Sly

January 13th, 2009 at 9:21 am

I would suggest Hong Kong. Then you can do a Maccau side trip and visit the Venetian hotel…which I’ve been told is very much like Venice without actually being in Venice. Gondolas and all.

Singapore is a cheap trip these days. Especially with ridiculously cheap fares from Tiger and Virgin.
June is the best time to go to HK / Singapore as that’s when the sales are all on.

Can’t go wrong with either. They’re both also GREAT for foods if nothing else.

Panther

January 13th, 2009 at 11:20 am

Eh SG has nothing, other than cheap food maybe, and yes, as TedFox mentioned, the mixture. There is nothing special here. Maybe skin care treatment except meet the multitudes of bloggers rofl.

ETERNAL

January 13th, 2009 at 12:08 pm

Venice would probably be the best lol (I’ve been there, it’s beautiful), but given the options I’d probably lean toward Singapore. I don’t have any particular reason to say that since I live in North America and if I ever cross the ocean it’ll be for Japan, but the aniblogger meetups in a place like Singapore have to be interesting, right? Not that I would recommend traveling to a country just for that, but it’s certainly a benefit :P

ETERNAL’s last blog post..Clannad – Why I Love It, and why it’s probably more than you think

Panther

January 15th, 2009 at 2:23 am

Oh hey I got a clone up there! Awesome troll attempt.

Panther’s last blog post..Anime Episodic Plan

Ashrie

January 15th, 2009 at 10:29 pm

I’ll throw out a relatively different suggestion: New Caledonia. It’s a completely different culture, language, and it’s only 3 hours by plane (from Sydney, that is) to get there. I’ve just been there myself, and I find it funny how they have some anime titles that aren’t available in either America or Australia… although they’re all in French (and darn expensive too since they’re French imports) XD. Beautiful climate, wonderful beaches. Quite small, with only around 200,000 people living there and the people there are very friendly and polite.

I found it to be a great place to destress and relax…and quite affordable since it’s so close :)

Runningkid

January 18th, 2009 at 10:53 am

VENICE VENEZIA NEO-VENEZIA!! Go! Although it might be a bit biased since it’s coming from me lol. I think you’ve got a good selection of locations there so I guess it comes down to why you’d want to visit these places. Related to your hobbies (ARIA ARIA ARIA)? Buying stuff? Cheap Food?

Anyways if you do happen to come to UK for some strange reason, let’s have drink together!

alafista

January 18th, 2009 at 1:44 pm

I do recommend HK. There’s lots more to see. The food there is really tasty too.

Can’t believe I’m saying that when I’m a Singaporean =P

an8id

January 22nd, 2009 at 8:51 am

There’s nothing much in singapore really. But they do have good restaurants though.

This is totally out of topic but why don’t you give turkey a try? it’s cheap and it’s fabulous! I went last spring and had an awesome time. Was quite skeptical at first when my mom suggested it (my initial choices were spain/portugal or greece) but it turned out to be an out-of-this-world experience. So I highly recommended. About USD 900 excluding airport taxi and misc charges but you can find tours which are much cheaper than the abovementioned price.