How to Treat Bootleg Figures

January 2, 2009 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Everyday Life, Figures

Earlier this week I met up with fellow Sydney anime bloggers M12, Optic, and Koshiko for a event filled with fun and anguish. One of the things that you have to look out for as a figure collector is bootleg items. In the past I and a few friends have been a victim, and Optic has recently been a victim as well. So we decided to show people how exactly you should treat bootleg figures. Hit the jump to read on on what we did.

What you see above is the Nendoroid Haruhi set that was released at a previous Wonderfest where Optic had purchased at a local store. Most unfortunate that he found out they were bootlegs. So we decided to record a video covering what one of the options you can take when dealing with bootleg figures, and that’s simply destroying them. I brought along my camera and I filmed and slightly directed the video, Koshiko was taking photos, Optic and M12 went into RAGE mode.

Photo from The dis-JoinTedZone

You can check out the video over at Vjutsu (hopefully he’ll post a YouTube version soon). You can also check out Optic’s coverage of our little event. I took the role of explaining on how to identify bootleg figures and it’s rather amusing as I winged the entire thing. It’s also amusing to hear my own voice as I never thought I sounded so clear. As for the end result of the bootleg figures?

Of course even after we finished M12 was still feeling much RAGE so we cooled off by heading off to get a late lunch and to do other random things. As a side note I also found out that Wangan Midnight 3 DX had arrived at the arcades and managed to do a figure photo shoot.

24 Responses to How to Treat Bootleg Figures

oTAKu

January 2nd, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Wow, you guys had LOTS of fun.

January 2nd, 2009 at 9:38 pm

It was an awesome day and boy, did we smash them good. lol
Actually, I think M12 did most of the smashing. He was pissed. lol

Optic’s last blog post..Smashing Bootlegs

icie

January 2nd, 2009 at 10:16 pm

I am surprised you did not purge the evil with fire. I was expecting them to end up as melted smears on the ground.

icie’s last blog post..Dokusha-tachi he no Nengajou

Stripey

January 2nd, 2009 at 11:42 pm

A horrific thought struck me while reading this post

“What if the ‘bootleg’ turned out to be real?”

Nah, just kidding XD

Persocom-san

January 3rd, 2009 at 1:54 am

Saw the vid over at Vjutsu, lol you guys sure had a good time taking out some rage XD

Persocom-san’s last blog post..Nendoroid Miku Hatsune

Zeroblade

January 3rd, 2009 at 3:36 am

“What if the ‘bootleg’ turned out to be real?”
That would be a sad, sad thing.

Zeroblade’s last blog post..Auguri, Buon Anno!

Panther

January 3rd, 2009 at 5:47 am

SMASH ‘EM UP!

Panther’s last blog post..Winter 2008 Anime Watchlist

Koshiko

January 3rd, 2009 at 9:45 am

I didn’t do any smashing, just had some ideas and took photos, but still lots of fun~

No-one managed of take photos of lunch, too hungry~ lol

sonic_ver2

January 3rd, 2009 at 1:00 pm

I also saw this at Optic. I say it’s pretty much refreshing!

sonic_ver2′s last blog post..My figures 2008

Rin

January 3rd, 2009 at 4:48 pm

Ah….I wanted to take some rage out by destroying bootleg goods…
Too bad I live in Canada…

Rin’s last blog post..2008 Spending and My Picks of 2008…HAPPY NEW YEAR!!!

Johnson Huang

January 3rd, 2009 at 10:53 pm

Good riddance. Now if only I had the courage to do the same with my garage kit recasts.

Johnson Huang’s last blog post..Sad Snowman and the Carrot

ron~

January 5th, 2009 at 9:32 am

I always wanted to smash my bootleg.. but they were gifts heh…

ron~’s last blog post..2008 Otaku Expenses Review

jenn

January 6th, 2009 at 11:52 am

Still feels like such a waste to me, bootleg or not. XD -has quite a few random keychains-

And you do sound clear! Could be the accent helping. ^^

jenn’s last blog post..White Album 1 – More Petty Show Biz Sabotage

gordon

January 7th, 2009 at 2:55 am

oh that’s a waste. should consider donating it to the less fortunate maybe? (‘~’)

gordon’s last blog post..Random Photo Shoot 2

HisuiIBMPower4

January 7th, 2009 at 9:55 am

The most outrageous thing could be paied price for real thing and later found to be bootleged.This is very common in China

KoE

January 8th, 2009 at 2:22 am

The 3 figures don’t look bad at all in your first photo. o.o I can’t say how they looked in person, but I’ve seen many photos of very bad looking bootlegs. I would never be able to smash a figure. Especially one I spent my money on when it comes so hard to me that I can rarely buy figures. The girls look cute in the first photo, wish I could have had them.

KoE’s last blog post..US Figure Stores?

valho

January 8th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

I saw the exact same set on sale during the recent local event here and there was a few of them too. My first thought was bootleg avoid at all cost, since the set it’s limited it’s impossible for the local shop here to get hold of so many.
That looks like fun btw, smashing the bootleg figures XD

valho’s last blog post..Vampire Knight Cosplay shoot

Aya Kyunik

January 11th, 2009 at 10:16 am

But but… now I feel sorry for the bootlegs ;_;
Tho still, it can get quite disheartening to recieve a bootleg when you thought you paid for a geniune item.

Curious as to why you didn’t opt for a hammer of some sort? lol

Aya Kyunik’s last blog post..It is a Mystery!

Figure Gallery: Kouno Harumi at Moé Moé Rabu

January 14th, 2009 at 11:02 pm

[...] wise is Hyde Park, Sydney. I photographed Harumi at the same spot where we recorded the video for bootleg bashing as Koshiko, M12, and Optic were rather curious to see how I work on doing an outdoor figure photo [...]

narc

March 10th, 2009 at 1:06 pm

there are such things as bootleg figures? how dose that work?

louki

April 20th, 2009 at 5:41 am

GaariZ

July 21st, 2009 at 12:41 am

I can’t believe someone would do this. You paid for those things. And someone worked on them for very little money (look at China). And on top of that some less wealthy otakus might have been happy to get them even knowing they’re bottlegs. Why couldn’t you sell them to these guys instead?
Another thing: if you can’t control yourself over anime figures what’s gonna happen is a living person will insult or decieve you?

knk

July 22nd, 2009 at 7:44 am

Do you know how many poorer otakus would’ve been happy with those poor things? Looks like you’re too rich to think about this. I’m a collector as well but I have friends who cannot afford figures and are happy to even receive bootlegs. You’re heartless.

HaineChan

February 5th, 2011 at 9:49 pm

They looked like the actual figures :/ and they were very pretty .. that’s a shame you damaged them so badly. You could’ve sold them.