The Otaku Temptation

December 26, 2008 | Author: | In: Anime, Anime Blogs, Everyday Life

A hobby is something that takes our minds off the reality of the the daily grind. Our escape from stress and the path to finding enjoyment in life. Most of the time it’s something that we do in our free time, or even that step further by incorporating their hobby with their jobs. I unfortunately fall into the former category and free time is something I have little of these days. But recently my job has become a bit flexible over the past few months and it seems my otakuism is interfering. Hit the jump to read on.

Being a web developer, there are only a few requirements needed for me to actually do my work: a PC/laptop and an internet connection. Oh and a phone line/mobile is optional. Having these already it has given me the opportunity to work from the comfort of my own home two days a week. The prospect of working from home is very enticing and it means quite a few things, but mainly that I save money from traveling to the office as well as save money from buying lunch.

However the dilemma I have at times as an otaku is focusing my energy into my work instead of being distracted by my pile of figures or backlog of anime to watch. When I started working from home it wasn’t like this at all, but with the revival of my burning passion, things have certainly become complicated. I am wondering if I have made a mistake in choosing to work from home, though I’m pretty sure some people are envious that I have such an option at the age of 24. But I also think the fact that I’m still young I don’t appreciate the value of working from home completely. Called me old fashioned but I think doing the daily grind of heading to the office is something that has to be done for a long time before you start working from home. Let’s just say I have a pretty strong work ethic since I’ve been working from the age of 8.

Although the otaku temptations have taken over at times, not all is lost. The beauty of being flexible and on days of working from home, the hours can start at whatever time. I could start at 9 a.m and finish at 5 p.m like normal, or even start at 5 a.m and finish at 1 p.m. It’s just a matter of doing my 7.6 hours of work. So to put it simple, if I watch one episode when I’m supposed to be working, I just have to work an extra 20 minutes. It does work out well at times but I feel the otaku temptations far exceed my willpower to actually being productive.

So if you happen to work from home, have experience of working from home, or have considered working from home what are some things you would do to fend off this otaku temptation?

12 Responses to The Otaku Temptation

pp

December 26th, 2008 at 2:08 am

personally for me , if i’m home i will be less productive. I prefer to work at the work place instead of working from home. But a lesser working time would be better though :P , after all actual productivity time is probably 4 full hours at the work place. If i’m home, actual productivity time could probably be 2.5hours instead. The rest of 4-5hours would be wasted on some things else :P

pp’s last blog post..Christmas eve dinner

lightningsabre

December 26th, 2008 at 7:42 am

Well working at home is quite distracting, even at the office I’d get distracted too lol. The only good thing about my workplace is that the computers and internet browsers are really old, so it can’t handle all the websites around. As for a solution to your problem. I’d set up a playlist of anime songs (which is the only thing I listen to) and play it for 8 hours. That way I can have my otakuism during my work at home. That usually subsides my temptation. This is the the same at the office, but I’d have to take off my headphones if someone wants to talk to me about work.

lightningsabre’s last blog post..Snow Day at 2-4 AM

Hiji

December 26th, 2008 at 8:35 am

Having worked from home a couple days in the week before (and several times in the past) I can say it’s really a 50/50 chance in terms of productivity. As long as I know what I’m suppose to do and do not require assistance from co-workers I can be fairly productive. Put on some music, don my headphones and I completely trance out into work.

On the other hand if I’m waiting on instructions from my project manager on what my next task is, I tend to get distracted easily (whether by anime or blog reading).

Then again, my anime watchlist has dropped considerably (2 series only) and I never really had an otaku temptation so I can’t really say. For me, several good albums of music and coffee is usually good enough since my headphones block off any external noises that may distract me. All in all, I’d say that for an 8 hour work day, only 6 hours is ever dedicated to actual work on average.

suguru

December 26th, 2008 at 10:44 am

I understand very well–I work from home too, but I think taking a break to watch anime can be a good thing, and I don’t think most people work 8 out of 8 hours in the office either. In the office there’s random conversations with co-workers, long lunch breaks, surfing the web, etc., and I know plenty of people who probably only do four hours of real work or less in a day even in an office setting. In the end, I think as long as you get your work done by the dates you commit to, it’s not a big deal to take an anime break when you’re working from home–sometimes, I find myself losing track of time when I’m working, miss lunch, and then forcing myself to take an hour out to eat something and watch Toradora helps me get refreshed and back on track. I guess it all depends on the degree–if you’re missing deadlines then maybe it makes sense to dial the otaku time back (say, only watching anime over lunch hour or something) but if not, I don’t think there’s anything wrong with it. After all, spending time on your hobby is more fun than work anyway, and no one ever sat on their deathbed and said “damn, if only I’d spent more time working”…

suguru’s last blog post..The Long-Ass Nap of Suzumiya Haruhi

Mac (Kyuusai)

December 26th, 2008 at 11:47 am

I’m a geek (sysadmin/web guy) who works from home… Or, I should say, TRIES to work from home. I just went independent, and by golly it’s difficult to get a client base started. I find that sheer guilt keeps me motivated. Like you, though, I find that I can just adjust my hours if I want to move my leisure time up to whenever I want to. Beats a real job!

All this may change when I have steadier work and I’m not so hand-to-mouth. When I was at my “real job”, I had more temptation, actually. Distractions were always welcome. I suppose they still are, but with less to do perhaps it isn’t as noticeable.

Panther

December 26th, 2008 at 1:17 pm

I would prefer to work from home if I ever get the chance. Just a year older than you and I am still in college. :\

Panther’s last blog post..EoY ‘08 Cosplay – The Best of My Best

0rion

December 26th, 2008 at 4:04 pm

Well ultimately wherever you work, if you’re working on your own time for yourself, if you are in front of a PC with an internet connection there will be distractions. For some getting out of the house can be helpful, but the problem I have with that is that a laptop is not really ideal to work on, both impractical for efficiency and also physically uncomfortable.

In the end, the thing that is most helpful for me is working with somebody else. Obviously you may not be in a position where you can get a business partner, but it can be really helpful even getting together with someone else you know who has a similar kind of occupation.

For me it helps focus me, as well as giving me someone to bounce ideas off of or show things to for an outside opinion.

Of course, needing money can also be a great motivator for work too!

0rion’s last blog post..Merry Christmas Once Again from Epic Win

Zeroblade

December 26th, 2008 at 6:53 pm

No working experience meself, save for some summers spent working in retail, but I find that you’ll want to discipline yourself by working out of home for some time before even thinking of working in your house; procrastination, distractions, and laziness will be the end of you if you don’t.

Oh, and yeah, I kind of would like to work in my home, but only if I have a really nice room, a/c and all, and I have a separate room for work, and a separate room for… not-work.

Zeroblade’s last blog post..Merry Christmas!

December 26th, 2008 at 9:10 pm

When I think about it now, I do see that most people do only around 6 hours of actual work whether it be at home or in the office since you spend some time coercing with co-workers and checking websites etc. But I also see some of you mention about having co-workers, well unfortunately I don’t have any co-workers. They all left. A lot of the time I actuall sit in the office alone whilst the boss is either out at a meeting or doing something else.

Cocoa

December 30th, 2008 at 3:46 am

I never get much done at home- I do some article work for a newspaper, but I need to be in the workroom to actually get anything done. I usually end up watching anime, playing with GunPla or reading blogs. Recently, I’ve been spending time buy more figure (geh).

Cocoa’s last blog post..Podcastin’

jenn

December 31st, 2008 at 11:09 am

Whoa! Working since you were eight. :)

My dad works from home. I reckon that’s the reason for that extra monitor in the study…

Come to think of it I catch him watching war movies, Gatekeepers, or Code Geass a time or two there, though usually it’s work, heh. He gets a room to himself so people watching TV don’t disturb him — I suppose it’s like his mini office at home. :)

I’ve personally felt that (despite without any experience of it XD) working from home means all the social interactions in the office are taken away — and this can be a pretty big thing in some industries. Otherwise, yeah, more freedom is nice! ^^

jenn’s last blog post..Touhou Anime 1: Musoukakyo – Mukyu~

Lex

January 25th, 2009 at 2:13 pm

GOD!! that pic of konata and kagami looks just lik well how to put it. let c uhhh just plain WRONG!!!!