Belated Birthday Dinner – fine dining style

November 9, 2008 | Author: | In: Everyday Life, Miscellaneous, Photography

My birthday was just over a month ago and at the time, my friends were busy to come out for dinner. But two weeks ago they were finally free. Though having been to some really nice places in Japan for dinner, I wanted to continue that especially for my birthday dinner with friends. I guess you could say that I’m enjoying the life of fine dining, or in other words just spending big. The problem for us was most of my friends didn’t know which restaurant to go to in Sydney as none of us know the quality of restaurants in Sydney. Actually one of my friends probably has a better idea since he practically dines out all the time. So a bit of help from him and Google we decided on ARIA Restaurant.

Yes I would also say my otaku side agreed to going to this place but to be honest, this place was fantastic. Situated right across from the Sydney Opera House, the view from the table was absolutely amazing and with the afternoon sunset, it added to the beauty of Sydney Harbour. It really is such a different atmosphere when going to places like this, but at least this time we were a bit more dressed up than in Japan, yet it felt right at home. But at least it’s better than going out for steak like we did for most dinners.

The menu itself was quite small, even though we questioned the size of the meals, we were assured that they are more than adequate to satisfy our hunger. The original plan was to go for a course meal but since a particular friend decided to drop out, we each went separate mains. Though let me just say, if we went the course meal, it was $400 AUD per person. Not for those who are willing to put big holes in their pockets, but the menu itself is no different. Most entrees and mains ranged from $36 to $60 AUD, but for me and my friends, this wasn’t an issue.

Wines are also something I’m not very informed about so we asked the waiter to recommend a wine for us. Preferring something sweet to go with our meal, our waiter recommended us a Pinot Gris 2008 Josef Chromy. Not exactly the same as Dom Perignon but that’s not the point. What mattered was having an enjoyable meal, with some enjoyable wine, in a luxurious place with a great view and spending time with my friends. Being 24 and working full time means that I can start enjoying things like this more compared to late high school and throughout university. Though some may not understand why I would like to spend so much on dinner, even for a small meal, but one day you’ll come to understand things like this.

In fact I hope to experience even greater places of fine dining in the future and not just limited to Sydney. I hope to one day visit some nice places in Venice as my next holiday is to Venice, and perhaps even some of the finest places in France. Of course I’ll still have to keep working hard to make sure I can go to such places for a holiday.

15 Responses to Belated Birthday Dinner – fine dining style

Immanuel

November 9th, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Congrats and happy belated birthday!! The food looks good and I don’t see why people won’t understand why the food costs that much, though. After all, it’s not just the food you’re paying for but the way it’s designed on the plate as well as the ambiance of the restaurant itself. Oh and the service too!

Hope to eat good food one day too, but for now, I’ll be satisfied with my local hawker food.

Panther

November 9th, 2008 at 1:26 pm

“with some enjoyable win”

I do believe you mean “wine”, but “win” is good too. :D

Also happy belated birthday in case I forgot to wish you so back then.

Panther’s last blog post..Sengou-chan Preview

pp

November 9th, 2008 at 1:42 pm

wow i would love to have a $400 meal sometime too..

pp’s last blog post..Play Frantic!

AOforever1

November 9th, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Oh man… this is as otaku-like as it gets … Aria Restaurant… ~_~ me want!

Any who, Happy Birthday Adun.
I’m still 21 and in college ~_~

AOforever1′s last blog post..Site Updates Coming Soon…

triz

November 9th, 2008 at 1:58 pm

haPy.. beT`dEi …

the food looks yummy…….

triz’s last blog post..Jin Chiharu PhotoBooks

Potato

November 9th, 2008 at 5:26 pm

Happy birthday!
I would like to eat at a place called Aria but AU is a bit too far for me ;)
Actually, my brother plans to go on vacation to Sydney sometime next year.

Potato’s last blog post..IKEA! Let’s build a cabinet!

colourwheelz

November 9th, 2008 at 6:37 pm

Hi, happy belated birthday! I see you’ve had a nice dinner.

colourwheelz’s last blog post..Anime Girl Sculpting WIP Part 3

November 9th, 2008 at 7:20 pm

Immanuel: Definitely paying for the place as well as the service. It’s just one of those things you tend to enjoy once you get older and earning decent money.

Panther: Ah yes, I tend to have spelling mistakes now and then since I don’t check what I’ve actually typed. Thanks for pointing it out.

PP: $400 meals are quite enjoyable :)

AOforever1: You still have a long way to go. You may be envious now but you’ll get to enjoy things like this later in life.

Potato: There’s actually a place called Aqua as well here in Sydney believe it or not. Hope your brother enjoys his vacation in Sydney.

Larein

November 10th, 2008 at 7:46 am

Oh! Happy belated birthday! Once I saw the name of the restaurant I was gonna say, “Hmmm, I bet I know why they chose that place!”.

I really do like going out to eat and I could see where going out to a place like that (even though it’s expensive) would be enjoyable. They actually let you take pictures there? Since it’s a more expensive restaurant I didn’t think they would.

Larein’s last blog post..One Piece Song Comparison

M12

November 10th, 2008 at 7:01 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. Happy birthday ;D. Feed me the leftovers…

Aria restaurant, is it? That’s hilarious.

M12′s last blog post..Dance Dance Vhinobis

Koshiko

November 14th, 2008 at 6:41 pm

Hey awesome, nice name for a restaurant, hehe

I like the look of the first dish especially, looks so yummy that it makes me hungry u_u~ Happy Birthday again~

Koshiko’s last blog post..Somewhat Unofficial Mascot for furudango.com

megami

November 14th, 2008 at 9:48 pm

Happy belated bday!!
Aria is exquisite! I’ve only been there once myself and would definately go there again =)
fine dinning is definately a luxury!! =)

btw atm no money la. hehe

November 14th, 2008 at 11:17 pm

Larein: Pictures are allowed. Most restaurants allow you to take photos inside and of the food as well. Just as long as you aren’t a disturbance to the other people around you.

megami: I would go there again if the opportunity arises again.

Hiji

November 15th, 2008 at 11:35 am

That is a beautiful scenery judging from the the site, good choice of name too =).

I’d have to agree once you start earning good money, spending it on things like this is definitely worth it. Most people tend to just look at the price and shy away (understandably so), but it the experience you get at the end that justifies the spending. It’s one of those things one have to experience to really appreciate it.

On a closing note, Happy Belated Birthday, hope the coming year will treat you well =).

Runningkid

November 23rd, 2008 at 9:12 am

Holy sh- An ARIA RESTAURANT! this must be good!

Seriously though, it does seem like you are living in the “slice of life” genre =P Enjoy life to the fullest \o/