Kyoto Day 3 and the Golden Temple

August 27, 2008 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Everyday Life, Japan, Photography

There is so much more that I want to see around Kyoto, but alas it was the final full day of us being in Kyoto. Due to a rather intense day of walking from Day 2, we decided to take it a little easier this time and the first place we headed to was Kinkakuji (or what is known as the Golden Temple). Hit the jump to check out more.

Having looked up the location, we took a taxi as we discovered that the actual temple isn’t that far from the ryokan. By the time we got there, there were already a number of tourist around but when we got into the temple grounds there weren’t that many around. There was a bell that we could also ring so I took the chance to pray and ring. Though I must say it was quite loud. Moving along we came to a view of the Golden Temple itself and it certainly was a site to behold.

I stood there for quite a while admiring the scenery whilst trying to avoiding all the tourist trying to take photos. Before I came here I saw photos of the temple when it was covered in snow and could only imagine how beautiful it would be to see that kind of scenery. Continuing down the path we came across some gift shops and a small shrine where I bought some souvenirs.

Once we got outside the temple grounds, we headed out to check some of the surrounding souvenir stores and was rather tempted to buy a “Nan de ya nen” t-shirt. At this point we were feeling hungry and decided to head out to Kyoto JR station and check out a bit of the stores there. We took a taxi which took roughly around 30 minutes and by the time we got there we looked for a place to eat. Eventually we came across the food court section and entered a pizza and pasta place.

The surrounding shops of Kyoto JR station have a variety of things to look at and this was the opportunity to look for souvenirs for relatives back home. Not to mention that I would have to buy it now before blowing away my money in Tokyo. One of the items I’ve always wanted was a sakura printed tea cup. Luckily I was able to find one as well as find the one item my mum asked me to get.

After wondering around for a while more checking out other stores, we decided that we should call it a day since we were still quite tired from the hike up Fushimi-Inari Shrine. So we headed back to the ryokan and rested for the whole afternoon. I also took this opportunity to catch up on some anime before taking a quick nap. I also managed to take a random phoot of the garden inside the ryokan.

Soon enough it reached dinner time. Checking out the local map supplied to us by the ryokan owner, we chose the sushi train that was only a mere 2 minute walk. The pricing of this sushi place was different to other sushi trains that I have been to as this one was ¥147 per plate, regardless of the type. Between the four of us, we ate about 45 plates of sushi.

So with the third day of Kyoto it wasn’t as eventful as the 2nd day, but it was still an experience. With my last day of Kyoto, I certainly did a lot more compared to last time I was there. But in the end I still think that 3 days is too short for Kyoto. If you do plan to goto Kyoto, make sure to plan out more than 3 days. Next time I come to Kyoto I would probably come for 7 days.

9 Responses to Kyoto Day 3 and the Golden Temple

suguru

August 27th, 2008 at 2:19 am

Ah, Kyoto…there are so many places to see it’s just amazing. I was lucky enough to be in Kyoto for two weeks in November ’06, and we went to new places every day–if you go back, I’d go in the fall, with the maple leaves everywhere it’s more crowded at the most popular places for momiji-viewing like Tofukuji, but most places aren’t crowded and the temple gardens are pretty breathtaking in the fall. When you get out of Kyoto to Arashiyama, Ohara, Kurama, and Takao there are some really cool temples to see out in the countryside. There’s some good (but small) pics of what fall in Kyoto looks like here: http://www.new-kyoto.com/2007momiji/aki2007_11_5.htm

Caitlin

August 27th, 2008 at 8:52 am

Brings back memories. Food also looks nice. ^_^ Glad to hear you’re having fun! Kyoto’s always been one of my favorites.

Caitlin’s last blog post..Pizza Hut Japan 2

suneo

August 27th, 2008 at 11:29 am

ahh wish I could have gone to Kyoto. Last time in Japan lasted only a week, so I mostly stayed around Tokyo. And it was either spend about half the time travelling and walking around Kyoto, or spend a couple days and do something pretty cool, so I ended up climbing Mt. Fuji instead :P Was pretty awesome in its own right, but Kyoto would have offered much more beautiful scenery probably lol

Definitely gonna try to travel around Japan next time I’m there!

suneo’s last blog post..[Figures] Daiki Kougyou. Kanu Unchou. Awesome.

Dancing Queen

August 27th, 2008 at 2:18 pm

i can’t help be jealous, the scenery is so amazing and the food looks amazing. I keep reading your posts and it just makes me want to work extra hard to be able to afford to go to japan one day!

Dancing Queen’s last blog post..Masked Sukumizu Ringo

Koshiko

August 27th, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Kyoto’s is definitely on my ‘to visit’ list *o*

The 2nd and 3rd photos are really impressive (even though there are countless other shots of the same thing), I want to see it up close~

And the food looks great, pizza pocket yum~ :q How was the sushi? I’m certainly going to try eating over there! (someday… orz…~)

Koshiko’s last blog post..P#1 SMASH! Report – Summary

Rin

August 27th, 2008 at 11:25 pm

So it was true huh!!!!!!!!
The massive plate of sushi…OMG!!!!!!!!

Rin’s last blog post..Post in Progress…

Larein

August 29th, 2008 at 3:31 am

That place looks really pretty.

45 plates of sushi!? Dang… o_o

Larein’s last blog post..California State Fair 2008

August 30th, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Thats such a beautiful temple. Shame we couldn’t visit when we were down there. Kyoto’s sites are really spread out so 7 days is probably about right.

Sorry its been raining so much during your trip to Japan (this week its been almost everyday). At least its starting to clear up in the afternoons and its a bit cooler now.

If it clears up a bit more I might head down to Kamakura (sights much closer together than Kyoto). I’m also visiting a few of the places where the anime Elfen Lied took place. Don’t know if your a fan of that one of not, but I thought I’d give you a heads up on the locations.

1.) Gokurakuji station- reached on the Enoden line from Kamakura station. This is the station promently featured in the anime. Make a left upon exiting and a right as you get to the bridge and there will be a large staircase (I recognized it from the anime). At the top, there is a good view of Yuigahama beach and a little ways down the staircase is the graveyard where Lucy and Nana fought.

2.) Enoshima island- I haven’t went here yet but its reachable on the same line, from the Enoshima station. The two bridges where Lucy took on all those soldiers and the observation platform on the island should be there. I heard its a nice place to visit on its own with lots of old shrines and caves.

Sorry if this is a bit dorky but going to actual anime locations is kind of fun. At least I think so.

dice

September 4th, 2008 at 11:58 pm

Kinkakuji’s a beaut! I read that it was char grilled by some demented monk some time back. that was before it became all golden and sparky. :D

I love all your food pix! I have a fondness for taking pictures of food too. hahaha. URgh I’m hungry again!

dice’s last blog post..GT5P Pod