Mini-Animania Sydney 2008

March 29, 2008 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Conventions & Events, Everyday Life, Photography

It’s been 2 years since I last went to a Mini-Animania Sydney event, and back then I wasn’t too impressed. But this time around I figured it was time to head back and see if anything has changed in those two years, plus I have money to attend compared to last year, lol. So armed with the shiny camera, not so much cash, and deprived of sleep because of work, I headed down to the city to see how things would turn out. So hit the jump to check out photos and my overall impressions. WARNING: Picture intensive post.

Just like 2 years ago, and last year, Mini-Animania Sydney is once again held at the Citigate Hotel. Before walking in the doors, I knew exactly how the layout of the convention was going to be, but what I didn’t expect was the large number of people attending. It certainly had caught me by surprise as I arrived at 10:15am to find the line had reached the corner of the street. I figured it wasn’t worth getting there early as I wouldn’t miss much, I usually never do since I mainly go around taking photos. So it took me about a good 40 minutes waiting in line until I got to the door and paid the entrance fee, which was $25 AUD. Not so bad compared to the one for Anime Boston.

Also as I was waiting in line, I could tell it was convention fever with all the yaoi fangirls going around glomping people or running around when they see someone cosplaying a character they know. Of course they also just ran around on the road which isn’t exactly the smartest thing to do given that the hotel is right next to a carpark.

Upon heading to the vendor floor to meet up with various friends from AnimeSydney, I found the place to be PACKED. It was difficult to move around at the back of the room since the two busiest vendors, Empire Toys and Madman Entertainment, were placed right at the main stage entrance. Of course I’m used to this kind of thing, but having so many people packed in here is kind of ridiculous. Due to the amount of traffic going around, it was pretty difficult taking photos, so I held off to mainly the cosplay competition.

2 years ago I complained of the quality of cosplayers that attended Mini-Animania, but this time around I can see that a lot has changed and that the quality of cosplayers has certainly raised a few levels. Also I was surprised this time around that my 580EX MKII didn’t give me too many issues this time around. It fired like it was supposed to each time throughout the competition. The cosplay that did it for me was definitely the Keroro one, I laughed so much when I saw that. Speaking of cosplay, I always like seeing all the girls who cosplay as Misa from Death Note. All the ones I’ve seen throughout the conventions since Death Note took off, they all done pretty well. Shame that I’m kind of turned off from Death Note because of all the hype.

Empire Toys had a whole bunch of figures for sale for very cheap prices ranging from $15-$50. Although there is a catch to it all. Anything bought on the table for display is sold as is. No box, no plastic casing. There’s always a catch when purchasing something for cheap, but for the figure collector, this is like heaven. The funny thing is that I could easily name about 4/5 of what they were selling and about 1/4 of what they were selling I already own. I was also somewhat tempted to buy the Hinagiku keychain, butI held back. So I bought a figure instead for $15, lol. I’m such a weak man.

That’s pretty much it for photos. I took about 200 photos and many were mainly doubles and some turned out pretty crap. But I think I’ve done enough. My photographer friend Bubby has taken about 700 photos so hopefully he’ll upload his set sometime soon.

Also I managed to meet M12 of TDOMJ since he got himself a media pass as a writer for Akiba Angels. It’s always great to meet readers of my blog as well as fellow bloggers. M12 also had a shirt printed out as you can see in the photo above. I’m considering making a shirt to wear to conventions so people can recognise me.

Mini-Animania Sydney 2008 itself I would say was a pretty good event, but given that this is the Mini version it doesn’t have the same atmosphere as the main event. I still consider having the Mini event held at Citigate to be a poor choice of location, and with the growing number of attendees each year, it will have to relocate. Though with the larger number of attendees, this would definitely be because the Australian anime community is growing each year. 2 years ago at the first Mini-Animania I remember when there were hardly any people attending at all, and now I’m seeing all these yaoi fangirls glomping people on the streets and a higher number of cosplayers each year.

The main stage area was terrible as it was so packed that you couldn’t move around once you’ve chosen your spot to take photos. Bubby and myself were stuck on the left side so we got a pretty bad angle. We tried to relocate but alas other people got to the spots we wanted, yet weren’t there to take photos. Of course it is first come first serve, so that’s life.

In the end, I wouldn’t say that I enjoyed the con, nor would I say that I hated it either. But with very little to do, and very little space to move around it’s weird how I still attend anime conventions. If it weren’t for the people that I know from the various anime clubs I’d probably be bored out of my brains. Also this is my last Animania event for 2008 since I won’t be attending the main Sydney event in August due to other EPIC plans.

21 Responses to Mini-Animania Sydney 2008

khardic_paladin

March 29th, 2008 at 10:18 pm

orz you didn’t get a pic of Dante… and mine all probably all turned out shit…

Sleet

March 29th, 2008 at 10:38 pm

I have to say, I didn’t expect that many people at this year’s Mini-Animania. Nothing had really changed from last year, and there wasn’t much to do as far as convention events and stalls. I remember over hearing some conversations that went “Is this all there is?”. Luckily I knew quite a few people at the convention or else I’d have nothing else to do.

Bubby

March 30th, 2008 at 1:21 am

Well…it was my first Mini and i thought it was PACKED
i couldn’t get many decent photos without a horde of people walking by
The cosplay was pretty good itself but next time I hope the convention will move into a better location with a better price

suguru

March 30th, 2008 at 5:37 am

> The cosplay that did it for me was definitely the Keroro one, I laughed so much when I saw that

That had me laughing too…Keroko deserves to win.

M12

March 30th, 2008 at 8:24 am

It kicked ass to be able to meet you people! I posted some photos on my blog as well. Yeah the Keroro cosplay was hilarious. The Eva skit rocked, too. Overall, I enjoyed this one, although it was pretty packed.

chibi

March 30th, 2008 at 8:47 am

Thanks for the review, I’m glad I didn’t go to it cause it sounds like the same old usual again…

(I knew M12 was hyping it too much XP)

boggart

March 30th, 2008 at 10:43 am

I’ve noticed that the Australian otakudom has changed over the last 5 years or so as well. AVCon in Adelaide is steadily getting better as well but I’m not so sure it is getting any bigger. I guess we’ll have to wait to see in July.

ron~

March 30th, 2008 at 10:56 am

thank’s for sharing the pictures :D

bargain figurine price is always good :O are those figurines originals?

March 30th, 2008 at 1:34 pm

Sleet: That isn’t very surprising to hear people say that. Even when I was lining up, I saw people already leaving, and this was 30 mins after the convention had open it’s doors.

Bubby: I’m unsure if I want to attend another Mini-Animania at this point seeing how nothing has really changed at all, even if it moved to a new location.

chibi: Mini-Animania would be for those can’t get enough of the convention fever. And really, I can’t see the Mini-Animania’s becoming anything better than what it is.

boggart: It certainly has grown a lot over the past 5 years, and with more people being connected to the Internet, finding out about P2P networking etc it’ll definitely become stronger.

ron~: Some figures were originals, some not so. The Revy you see in the pictures I find rather questionable itself and but without having a closer look, I can’t gather how many would have been bootlegs. But majority were indeed legit.

Mini-Animania ‘08 « Type Dom

March 30th, 2008 at 1:37 pm

[...] For more pictures: [...]

Colman

March 30th, 2008 at 11:26 pm

That is me holding the giant pencil.

Jeneara

March 31st, 2008 at 1:02 am

YAY!! i was one of the misa’s at the cosplay i’m the one in i think the third picture down lol!!

Pudding

March 31st, 2008 at 12:07 pm

omg that shirt rox… lol… i rofled…

too bad i couldnt go coz of some frds having party somewhere but i guess i will be expecting the main animania this yr… if it is this big on mini… then it will be a real big event during the main one =p

Polly

April 2nd, 2008 at 3:35 pm

I was also so suprised at the huge turn-out this year! Perhaps the venue needs to be changed to accomodate for the rising popularity….I couldn’t fit into the room the cosplay events were in! Nearly died :(
Also nice pics, I especially liked that SHUFFLE cosplay there but I don’t remember seeing her enter the cosplay Y_Y

LOL @ Revy figurine, my friend bought that for 25$ best purchase of the day IMO :P

Nekona - новости аниме, манги, игр, j-pop, j-rock и культуры Японии

April 3rd, 2008 at 12:28 am

[...] По материалу Moé Moé Rabu. [...]

Три аниме-конвенции  — Маленький Токио

April 4th, 2008 at 1:04 am

[...] По материалу Moé Moé Rabu. [...]

Princess-Sakura

April 10th, 2008 at 1:09 pm

WOW!! i was in one of those pictures!! i was dressed up as CardCaptor sakura, with my friend next to me dressed in the Shuffle! uniform!! yay!! Animania was soo much fun!

Jacky

April 19th, 2008 at 8:10 pm

I don’t blame you with being turned off by the Death Note hype. Luckily, I caught the manga just as it came out in Japan so there wasn’t so much of a huge following compared to now.

Ugh, at Supanova Melbourne AND Brisbane, the most predominate cosplays were Misas and Ls. It has finally replaced yunas, narutards and bleachtards chronologically.

I really dislike the fact that girls think they are cosplaying by wearing punk lolita and pigtails with a blonde wig (or just pigtails if you already have blonde hair) and for guys, a pair of blue jeans, white tee with eyeliner and black hair. It’s hardly any effort. Even cosplaying as me would’ve required more effort than that! It makes bleach and naruto cosplayers seem so much better in contrast effort-wise.

(Y/Y)?

Jacky

April 19th, 2008 at 8:10 pm

PS. My Shuffle cosplay was so much better :P

Ying

May 22nd, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Hey… I saw the picture of our group..
XDDD.
not as bad as I think…
that is really a crazy day…

natalie

February 10th, 2009 at 5:42 pm

hiya (^_^)
just inquiring as to whether anyone knows where i can find pictures from animania sydney august 2008… i wanna see if anyone took a pic of my friends and i, i was dressed as orihime from bleach, another as yuna from ffx, the pink haired girl from bleach, and some other cosplayers were in my group too… so if anyone knows could ya please tell me, i’ll be internally grateful. oh and some of the pics here from the smaller animania, i remember seeing some of these people (^-^) I went to the smaller one too. Who’s going to the one this year I wonder?