Kanon 2006 Dub – America’s version of Uguu~

December 20, 2007 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Anime Randoms, Kanon

Not sure if this is old news, but I recently saw this dub clip of Kanon 2006. From the sound of it, the dub just doesn’t cut it. In fact it tarnishes my love for Nayuki as she doesn’t sounds very cute, or sleepy. Ayu on the other hand sounds more like a brat, and oh god the uguu, all I can say is…uguu~~~ Still, with the first volume to be released on the 1st Jan 2008, I find it unexpectingly quick. Still, I’ll probably end up purchasing the DVDs at some point, but with the whole Xmas shopping, it won’t be for a few weeks maybe. Anyway, check out the dub below:

28 Responses to Kanon 2006 Dub – America’s version of Uguu~

Fisherman Horizon

December 21st, 2007 at 12:04 am

Oh man… what a disaster. So stereotype EN dub. I rather have anime with JP and EN sub. If only all anime in JP has EN sub…. and the uguu…. crappy.

Fisherman Horizon’s last blog post..New Gadget

Hinano

December 21st, 2007 at 12:13 am

Heh I saw a little bit of the dub at the bootleg maid cafe at the NYAF and I only saw the part with Makoto and her voice was incredibly annoying. I hate dubs, I think the dub actors like try too hard to sound like their Japanese counterparts which then has a counter effect and makes my ears hurt. I mean if you’re gonna dub why not just talk naturally like you would to other Americans? Why make your voice so horrible to listen to in the first place. Nobody cares to see that you sound close to the Japanese version because if we wanted to hear that we’d just WATCH the Japanese version =A=;

Liam

December 21st, 2007 at 12:24 am

Now I remember why I hate dubs so much.. oegoe~

bakaneko

December 21st, 2007 at 1:09 am

The “uguu” wasn’t done too badly, but the part where Ayu originally said “sore dake” (in the dub, it became “that’s it”) in the cafe scene was really really weak. So was at the end where Nayuki originally goes “usotsuki” was changed very lamely to “you lied to me.” They should’ve just stuck with the more faithful translation “liar” in the least.

DS

December 21st, 2007 at 1:14 am

Actually, the uguu~s themselves are not that horrible, it’s just everything else! It’s really sad that Ayu, who sounds so cute in Japanese, just comes off as whiny and annoying in English. Naiyuki and Yuichi sound disinterested, like they are just reading the script for a voice over and not acting. Yuichi does not come across as having a strong personality, which an important feature of the original.

DS’s last blog post..[Clannad] What I learned on CSI:NY, Starfish are Dangerous!

super rats

December 21st, 2007 at 1:27 am

I thought it sounded decent. I’ve not heard it in Japanese yet, so have nothing to compare it to, which is fine. I’m watching it dubbed first anyway.

super rats’s last blog post..Ending Haruhi in the Rain

koneko-chan

December 21st, 2007 at 1:38 am

I saw a bit of it during one of the premieres of Kanon at NYAF. Personally, I don’t mind English dubs too much. Usually, I’ll watch a series first with Japanese dub and English sub. Then rewatch with the English dub if I like enough of the series. A good English dub for me is when the English voice matches the original character and the overall dub retains the feeling from the plot. My biggest gripe about the Kanon dub is that most of the voices don’t match the character. Nayuki sounds no where close to her original character. And my God, Akiko sounds way too young to be the sweet mom from the Japanese dub. With that, I’m still probably buying the R1 DVDs as they come out.

koneko-chan’s last blog post..2007 Year in Review – Top 5 Anime News Stories

myu

December 21st, 2007 at 2:45 am

For some reason those female voices hurt my ears… I will buy DVDs, so gorgeous art, but won´t listen english dub.

myu’s last blog post..The End

Sailor Enlil

December 21st, 2007 at 3:06 am

Hmm, I dunno I kinda like it. And for some reason I think the english Ayu sounds like a younger and louder version of the english Haruhi Suzumiya too :D.

Bubby

December 21st, 2007 at 4:57 am

Hmm…All the voices sound way different compared to their japanese counterparts.
The Ayu was pretty bad, not cute at all. The Nayuki I can live with. Yuiichi meh~
Wonder how the others will sound like -_-

Koji Oe

December 21st, 2007 at 5:07 am

This is a professional dub? Whoa, sounds like a shitty fan dub to me.

Moogy

December 21st, 2007 at 5:50 am

Dear god why

Fye DX

December 21st, 2007 at 5:59 am

I don’t like this dubbing. At all.
Yuiichi is just… SO wrong. And Ayu is even worst.
That’s why I can’t live without fansubbers =D

Dancing Queen

December 21st, 2007 at 7:15 am

Omg the uguu was terrible really… and Yuuichi, it doesn’t sound right at all. and ayu couldn’t even pronounce her own name.

Dancing Queen’s last blog post..Alter 1/8 Enma Ai

ron~

December 21st, 2007 at 8:53 am

IMO, moe voices are good with japanese only…

ron~’s last blog post..Bootleg Info: 1/8 Mokyu Mokyu Dark Saber

December 21st, 2007 at 1:48 pm

Yup, my brother told me how bad the dub was, thanks for the sample so I can see for myself.

I actually liked the Air dub, I wonder what happened here. The voices don’t really match the characters.

I’ll be getting these eventually but will stick with the original Japanese version. I’ll buy Shuffle! first from Funimation.

Hijiko

December 22nd, 2007 at 1:09 am

My ears… they bleed. Nayuki doesn’t sound right and I agree on Ayu sounding like a brat.

FlameStrike

December 22nd, 2007 at 5:25 pm

Well, due to my EXTREAMLY low expectations for english dubs it sounded OK. The Uguu’s were weak and Ayu was brattish, but it only made my ears bleed so… yeah but still the orginal voices have more feeling to them. The actors need to make the conversation they are haveing sound natural and put more emotion behined to voices. Meh it seems like it’s best to watch things in the language they were orignialy made in, I mean in alot of english movies the actors to a really good job, so why can’t they put in the same effort for a dub? I’ve seen some fandubs with equal or better quality *cough* milkcabbage *cough*

Shavelle

December 23rd, 2007 at 9:40 am

All I can say is… it’s a good thing that dubs have no impact on whether or not I buy an anime. As long as they keep the original japanese voices as an option, I’ll be content. Though, if they could lower the prices by having subbed only, like some of Media Blasters titles, I would be even happier.

Either way, horrible dubbing or not, there’s no way I’ll pass on the chance of owning this.:)

Fuyumi

December 23rd, 2007 at 2:10 pm

Hmm, wish they had a different voice for Ayu – all I can picture is Himeno from Pretear, ’cause she had the same dub VA. I don’t think she sounds bratty, though, and the uguu is something I don’t think is possible for a non-Japanese speaker to do well anyway. Nayuki’s VA just sounds very weak, though… her lines seemed like they were done in a very “blah” manner.

Ah well, its not like I’ll watch the dub anyway =P

iNQ37

December 23rd, 2007 at 9:12 pm

http://youtube.com/watch?v=4VwFjYXHn5c. the advertisement is bad too.
by the logic of the english anime companies. we should buy the animes we support and somehow that’ll make them better in tne future? >_>

Roy Mustang

December 31st, 2007 at 3:03 pm

To the guy watching the dubs first: Don’t waste your time. Even just the ~Uguus would beat the dub.

http://www.moemoerabu.net/images/artbooks/kanon_visual_memories/Tsukimiya Ayu Uguu Voice CD.rar

86 ~Uguus > Kanon Dub

Kolj

January 5th, 2008 at 4:55 pm

They really butchered the dialog in this dub. I literally couldn’t keep listening after the “uguu”. I mean, its an expression, not a word.

Kirip

January 10th, 2008 at 1:16 pm

I second Roy Mustang’s statement.

The English uguu sounds too forced and ADV just basically desecrated the whole anime with the dubs. >_>

I gave dubs a chance and this happens.

GG ADV.

Tamamtha

January 28th, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I’ve watched the Japanese Version both subbed and Raw and I must say this just Decimates my Love for Nayuki, I will just forget I ever saw any of this, Ever.

PS, Anyone wanna go Murder Jessica Boone? (The person who Voiced Nayuki)

Jesus

July 22nd, 2008 at 8:48 am

Reply to tamamtha.

are you a girl or a boy? cause you sound awfully manly but you also have the remarks of a girl. I do like Kanon myself but you my friend are a bitch

Yarp

March 26th, 2010 at 7:30 pm

All I can say is why such hate on the dubs?

I can admit the Uguu was not what you could call “moe” in the english version but so many times I hear people bitching about voice tone and having them blame it on voice acting. I for one think that the acting quality for Yuichi, Nayuki, Mai and Sayuri were fantastic. Westerners like us don’t have those high pitched voices, the VA’s for the dub made a very good effort with the characters. An example would be Mai, Melissa Davis did an exceptional job and the more mature sound blew the Japanese version out of the water. Nayuki does this as well in several ways, although the still can suit the 12 year old “moe” character. I didn’t really like Makoto’s english voice and Ayu’s didn’t suit that well either but there are positives on both versions. Ayu and Makoto suited those “moe” characters more whilst others suited the more mature voices and it doesn’t matter that the Japanese is the original. And yes, both versions contain extremely cheesy parts in them. Neither version fixes this.

I will admit that the characters do seem like quite different people, so there are two different options here.

Option 1: You watch the sub hoping for that “moe” feeling that you so desperately strive for, thats what the Japanese voices are trying to achieve here. Cuteness. This option is also very good for those sub-elitists who aren’t too happy with a “close to home version”. Characters such as Mai or Nayuki who have a very emotional impact at points in the show sometimes cannot be taken seriously with their child-like appearances. Probably the best choice for fanboys/girls.

Option 2: You watch the show in dub format. The voices here are yes, deeper, but also a lot more mature sounding. There are differences in the script, nothing too major but some can be a little letdown. Just like the Japanese version not all the voices suit the roles. A very different experience but one that should not be overlooked.

All in all, neither are perfect as with all anime’s to date and which you should watch should be your own personal views. So all in all, stop bitching because neither sub or dub elitists will win the “mines bigger” contest.

I can see where you guys think that the dub is disgusting, but in all honesty you are looking at some of the worst examples of the show in that clip (aside from those cheesy “I’m in a dream” openings). Keep on trolling!

JB

March 18th, 2011 at 5:07 pm

I’m going for Yarp on this one. Nayuki, voiced by Jessica Boone, is exactly right when I first watched the first six episodes I edited into a two hour movie. Nayuki isn’t supposed to be voiced with a prepubescent voice and Yuuichi exactly sounds like a real seventeen year old high school boy, thanks to Chris Patton’s performance. However, Ayu voiced by Brittney Karbowski sounded less moe tomboy and more of a bratty tomboy even though Brittney does fit for the role.

Believe me, this is an old clip and a really old news. Once you hear from the original copy from FUNimation, you’ll know how well the English cast acted to their characters. This is 2011 now, FUNimation is taking over the anime industry in the United States.