One otaku’s treasure is another otaku’s treasure

December 11, 2007 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Everyday Life, Merchandise

Ever since I have taken the plunge in anime merchandise collecting, it would be safe to say that majority of items in my collection are all brand new when I bought them. A lot of them represent the blood, sweat, and tears of working for Woolworths for the 3 and half years that I was working there, and the more recent stuff is from my current job. However, you don’t need to have a a lot of money to indulge yourself with anime merchandise (well that really depends on how much you want) as there is another source to get some awesome loot. And that is none other than your fellow otaku.

Your fellow otaku is a great source for loot as there will be a time when they must part with what is precious to them. Various reasons would befall your fellow otaku to do such a thing, such as running out of room, in desperate need of cash, have lost that BURNING PASSION, or quite possibly even be their significant other. Well whatever the reason may be, it benefit those who wish to satisfy their hunger for anime merchandise.

My fellow Sister Princess loving twin Phil (Uninformed from Tsundere Time) came to a point where he had so much stuff from his trip to Japan back in August that he had to sell some of his precious loot to make room for the new stuff. Luckily for me I got a look at the list of items he was selling and made some prompt purchases, as you can see from the picture above. Originally I had 9 figures, but the other 5 were for friends who also had a glimpse at the list, but I can tell you this, I got these for a very decent price. But the price isn’t the point here, but the actual products themselves. The benefit of buying pre-loved items is that they may be rare in some cases, or even of things that you never knew existed. For me, the Sumino figure is something I had been looking for for a number of years, even in Japan. You can’t believe how happy I am right now.

Although purchasing these pre-loved goods also made me think about my own situation. I keep saying that I’m reaching the brink of capacity in my room, yet I keep purchasing goods as if it was nothing. But there will be a time when I will reach full capacity in my room, but will it come to me having to sell the parts of my collection that I have spent so long building up? For me personally, no I wouldn’t. Most of my collection, if not all, I remember quite clearly of when I bought it, or the excitement of a package arriving at my doorstep. Sure enough there will probably be a time when I will stop purchasing merchandise, but I would probably keep my collection in it’s entirety. Although I have sold some of my collection so far, mainly just magazines and the 5 Shuffle figures. Such a shame as I’m sure there are quite a number of people who would love to have the items that I hold in my collection, such as the Ayu backpack from Kanon, the large Akari towel from ARIA, or even my Utamaru plushy from Da Capo.

So this brings a question. Would you ever sell parts of your collection, or even your entire collection when the time comes? What kind of “rare” items do you hold in your collection that make many other envy you?

[poll=4]

21 Responses to One otaku’s treasure is another otaku’s treasure

ron~

December 12th, 2007 at 12:51 am

I don’t think I will ever sell my collection, loved them all (well maybe Alter’s sawachika eri ._. ~)

ron~’s last blog post..1/8 Princess ~ Kotobukiya

.:~ ┼ ĻũşŤřŏůŞ Ŗꥼm ┼ ~:.

December 12th, 2007 at 1:15 am

I will when the need calls for it. Though not the most precious items of course…

.:~ ┼ ĻũşŤřŏůŞ Ŗꥼm ┼ ~:.’s last blog post..What would you do if you come across ISNBTBLO Animes?

Mac (Kyuusai)

December 12th, 2007 at 1:31 am

I don’t have much of a collection, but as time passes I’m more open to parting with things.

This has more to do, though, with the fact that I’ll be doing a lot of traveling, and if I’m going to be traveling the world, I can’t carry all my worldly possessions with me.

To go to Japan and buy Japanese goods… I must part with my Japanese goods.

Bubby

December 12th, 2007 at 1:44 am

I wouldn’t sell anything in my collection…
maybe some magazines…

Stripey

December 12th, 2007 at 2:28 am

Actually I’m trying to sell some of my anime-related items now. I think it’s a healthy life-cycle of anime mechandising. There is limited space but too many wonderful things out there. The lesser items need to make way for the better. Think of it as pruning a tree. When the lesser figures for example become dead weight or reduce the overall aesthetics of your collection, it’s time to weed out the unworthy ones, win back some cash so that your collection can attain the next level. :)

Btw gratz on your Sumino purchase. Lovely ain’t she?

Stripey’s last blog post..10 harem leads – Lame and shame list

December 12th, 2007 at 2:50 am

Selling my precious, no…precious will never be sold ^^. I don’t believe I have anything rare at the moment, though they might become rare over time. Maybe my Macross Valkyrie, I don’t know if they make it anymore, it was a birthday gift I received more than 5 years ago. My figure collection isn’t so big where I need to sell it, but you never know what the future will hold.

AS’s last blog post..Evil has once again shown itself and it takes the form of…

shinji

December 12th, 2007 at 5:02 am

Ah, I had that Sumino on order with HLJ, but then it went into “backorder” and eventually they ended up not being able to fill it ;_;

I’ve had to stop buying new stuff due to sheer lack of room, but I wouldn’t sell any of what I already have. Ok I lied, I’d maybe sell the stuff that I got on impulse without even knowing the source material (back when I was going nuts with buying stuff).

December 12th, 2007 at 6:13 am

ron~: Alter’s Eri? Not too happy with it or something?

.:~ ┼ ĻũşŤřŏůŞ Ŗꥼm ┼ ~:.: Because we must keep our precious.

Mac: Well if you are going to be traveling the world, that does make it harder to keep your loot. Although if you do have a base home to return to eventually, you could always keep it there. Or better yet, leave it at your parents house, lol.

Bubby: I want to see your collection~~

Stripey: Oh definitely, out with the old, in with the new. But I consider even having the lesser figures as something important as it does bring a kind of balance, but also brings back memories of purchasing such an item. But for me, I don’t think I could attain the next level in my collection, unless it’s something BIG and unexpected. Though after next year’s Japan trip, I will definitely be at the next level.

AS: I keep thinking some of the things I have would probably become rare over time. But we’ll have to wait and see.

shinji: The lack of room is what I tend to find as the main reason. There is only so much you can fit into one room when still living with your parents. Though when I move out, that’ll definitely change.

lu-k

December 12th, 2007 at 8:09 am

aaaahh Fumiko… I want one ^^;

I’m not going to sell any of my figures in the early future, but maybe in 4 or 5 years… don’t know what I’ll be thinking about my collection at that time ^^
And I don’t think I have some rare figures, (even some which will become rare with time) since when I started collecting them, stocks started to be big enought, so what I have, almost everybody have it too. And that’s more and more like that with new figures. But that doesn’t matter. I buy figures ’cause they look beautiful to me, not because they may be rare. So as long as I want them to decorate my room, I wont sell any ^^

lu-k’s last blog post..SOS団 is Watching You

super rats

December 12th, 2007 at 8:31 am

No, it would be too much of a hassle. I have thrown some away though.

super rats’s last blog post..Amami Haruka from GoodSmile Co.

ron~

December 12th, 2007 at 9:38 am

yah, I’m not too happy with Alter’s eri, her face is different, and also the “eyes” is too big, it doesn’t have Eri characteristic in it ._.

ron~’s last blog post..1/8 Princess ~ Kotobukiya

Uninformed

December 12th, 2007 at 10:23 am

The two main reasons I sold my stuff were changes in tastes, and running out of room. Though the extra cash I received from this venture during the lead-up to Christmas is a nice bonus.

There are some items I’ll never sell, such as figures of Tomomi from Pia Carrot, and figures of Sakura from FS/N.

Of course, after the next trip to Japan, I’ll have to go through the painful selection process all over again!

Hijiko

December 12th, 2007 at 4:19 pm

So… about the Utamaru plushie I’ve been eyeing ever since I saw your collection o-so-long-ago…

December 12th, 2007 at 7:51 pm

lu-k: Well 4 or 5 years is a long time, but you might even stay the way you are. I don’t think I could ever see myself having to sell off any of my loot, even if it was something bought on a whim. But a good point in that manufacturers can produce enough to please the masses. Not just figure collecting, by other aspects have improved significantly over the years, people are wising up to how they spend their money, and there are people like us, who review the figures we buy.

super rats: Thrown some away? That seems a little harsh. I’m sure some desperate otaku would’ve loved to take your unwanted goods off your hands.

ron~: Nothing wrong a big pair of “eyes” :P But in the end, it comes down to whether you still deem the figure worthy of being an eternal part of your collection.

Uniformed: Oh I didn’t know about your tastes changing, I guess that’s something that happens to otakus over time. Well when the time comes for you to go through the selection process, you can count on Roobar and myself to help you out.

Hijiko: Yes about that Utamaru, it’s sitting on my bed quite comfortably :P

Choo

December 12th, 2007 at 8:53 pm

Nope. never in my life. Anyways just linked you in my blog. Link me back? =)

Choo’s last blog post..Who hates Lucky Star? ill kick you!

December 13th, 2007 at 7:57 pm

In my case I could stand to part with some of my dvds of shows I never watch anymore. And also figures. I stopped buying figures a long time ago. Just not enough room. I also have other collectibles that help put a cap on how much I buy.

Now that I am living in Japan, I send some collectibles home that I would consider rare. Clannad Boar/Kanon Piro plushy, various doujinishi, and Towel/clearfiles. But those don’t take up that much room.

I wouldn’t sell that Ayu backpack if I were you. That was one of the top things that made me envious of your collection. I’d buy one in a heart beat if I ran into one over here.

Addster

December 13th, 2007 at 10:19 pm

Here’s my take on things…

If you’ve got a full-time job, you’ll probably never need to sell any of your collectables to be able to pay rent, bills, etc.

The real question should be: if you meet a fan who loves something you own more than you ever will, should you give it to them.

The answer is yes, my friends.

Try it – it feels good.

December 15th, 2007 at 11:53 am

Punynari: Well living in Japan you have a much more accessible means of purchasing merchandise, thus I can imagine someone’s room getting full real quick. Though it’s good that you can send stuff back home, I would love to do that if I ever got the chance to live in Japan. And damn, you have the Buton plushy from Clannad, I want one.

Addster: Yes, having a full time job means that I would never have to sell my collection, but that’s not the point. The point is that some people will have a reason to part with their precious collection, whether they are running out of room, or they are over the whole collecting thing. You do bring up a valid point that there may be someone who is a bigger fan of the things I own, but I too do have my own love for the things I buy. Giving it to those who equally love the merchandise I wouldn’t have a problem with, but I still wouldn’t do it because I rather hold on to those items.

HisuiIBMower4

December 15th, 2007 at 12:21 pm

My answer is no never.To me Doujinshi and art book won’t occupy too much space.And once I sold them out there is almost no chance I can repurchase them back at reasonable price

valho

December 16th, 2007 at 3:51 am

I myself have gotten some good deals from fellow otaku, mostly hard to find figures. I don’t think I’ll ever sell my collection, too precious to me to sell them ^^. If I ever run out of room I’ll probably just stop collection I guess

valho’s last blog post..Pumpkin Scissors

Hontouni sale - for a limited time at Central National Library! at Hontou ni Taihen desu

December 16th, 2007 at 5:07 pm

[...] has an interesting poll and post about selling one’s anime merchandises. It comes at a very appropriate time since I have decided to sell almost 1/3 of figure collection [...]