Figure Gallery: The lolicious vampire Hazuki

November 26, 2007 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Figures, Merchandise, Photography

With a new piece of equipment added to my growing arsenal of camera equipment, I’ve decided to take a step backwards once again. When I mean backwards, I mean going back to the basics and the trial and error of taking photos of figures indoors. It has indeed been a long time I took photos of figures indoor, but I can assure you there’ll be plenty of other figures photographed indoors, due to them being rather…. charming shall we say. Anyway, hit the jump as this time, it’s Alter’s Hazuki Dress version from Tsukuyomi ~Moon Phase~.

As some of you may have noticed in the title of this post, this is simply a gallery of photos. No review of the figure this time around. Just to let you know, Figure Gallery posts will only contain photos of figures from my early days of collecting figures, or stuff that was released a long time ago. Either that or I don’t really have much to say let alone much information on the figure’s release info. Moving on, this Hazuki figure is one of many that I bought during the convention season way back in September/October. I’ve seen plenty of Hazuki figures when they were released, but I was in DEFCON2 in terms of financial stability, so I passed on buying her.

One of the cutest figures that I have in my collection now, and I usually like the sitting type figures as they can be placed anywhere and can blend in with any scenario. Best thing about this figure as well is that I picked her up for only $45 AUD, and that to me is cheap. Then again, I did spend $1000 at Animania, so really, most things are cheap to me, lol.

Photography Notes

This is the first proper figure photo shoot that I have done with the new 60mm macro lens, and that is the reason as well for taking a step backwards and go back to the basics. When ever I get a new addition to either it being a piece of camera equipment, an upgrade to the car, or even in web development, I always go back to the basics to relearn how the new addition affects my current habits and style. And with this being an indoor photo shoot, it was a good time to test out the macro lens in what I would call a “controlled environment”. And personally, I’m astounded by the results that I got. The photos you see of Hazuki above I don’t think I could have gotten with the 18-55mm lens. The ability of using a macro lens is evidently shown with the much clearer close up shots, which would have been impossible with the old lens, unless I used macro filters.

Although there is only one thing with the macro lens, and that is the set focal length, the 60mm. Since the lens is at a static focal length, it means that I myself will have to adjust the zoom by moving back or forth, which can be a pain given the small workspace that I have for indoor figure photography. Luckily I have a tripod, and remote control and I can place the camera in most positions and take photos without looking through the viewfinder. And with the camera hooked up to the computer, it makes it even easier to tell if a shot needs to be retaken.

Right now I’m getting more impressed with the ability of having a macro lens. And I’m happy with the results that I got with the photos above. However I think that effort also contributes to the results above as at time, I consider myself to be pretty lazy when taking figure photos. But still, this is only a partial test of how the lens can perform, since a lot of macro photography is based indoors, in a controlled environment. I’m hoping to test the 60mm macro out in the field (as in outdoors) and seeing how well it can take photos with varying lighting conditions. So does that mean that I won’t be using the 18-55mm lens anymore? Not at all. There are still some benefits of using the 18-55mm lens, such as the zooming and the wide angle shots, but until I get another lens, it’ll still be used. So look forward to more figure photography in the coming weeks, assuming I don’t get swamped with work.

13 Responses to Figure Gallery: The lolicious vampire Hazuki

Blackguard

November 26th, 2007 at 11:31 pm

Japan. Sigh

valho

November 27th, 2007 at 2:42 am

nice,close-up shots are definitely much more sharper with the macro lens. I hooked up my cam to the computer as well when I takes photos of figures, makes it easier for me to check the photos and retake any if necessary, too bad the rebel xti/400D doesn’t have live view.

valho’s last blog post..Eureka Seven Vol. 10

super rats

November 27th, 2007 at 3:04 am

From the first shot I knew you either borrowed or got yourself a macro lens. Personally, I think it’s an essential lens for these kinds of pictures. There are shots you simply can’t do without it. I think you’ll enjoy the whole new range of options it gives you.

super rats’s last blog post..My-Otome, The Beach, Denied

November 27th, 2007 at 5:43 am

Fangs ^^, love it. The new macro lens seems pretty good based on the photos you’ve taken.

AS’s last blog post..World’s largest melon pan has been made

ron~

November 27th, 2007 at 9:06 am

Nice sharp pictures this time :D
macro lens is quite tempting, really want to get one.. but I’ll wait till I can’t do better photos with original lens ^^;

ron~’s last blog post..Melbourne 2007 eGames Expo

Hijiko

November 27th, 2007 at 9:10 am

Compared to previous close-ups, it’s much better. However, is it me or does Hazuki’s lower jaw seem… awkward =/.

November 27th, 2007 at 5:56 pm

valho: You should also get a hold of a remote if you can, makes it MUCH easier to take photos if you don’t want to do it from the camera, or click it via the EOS Utility.

super rats: Eyes of an eagle to realise the power of a macro lens! There is still much to learn about the macro lens, but I can already see the potentials behind it.

AS: Fangs are such a moé point~~

ron~: I already got to the point where I could take any better photos with the standard lens. But then I have been doing this for over a year and I have learnt much over that time.

Hijiko: Hazuki is a little chubby in the cheeks, hence why she looks a little weird.

ron~

November 27th, 2007 at 8:06 pm

haha yah, I’ve seen your figurine photos before I even started blogging :D

ron~’s last blog post..Melbourne 2007 eGames Expo

Jacky

November 27th, 2007 at 10:12 pm

alafista

December 1st, 2007 at 1:26 am

She looks very moe .. just don’t like the way her legs are positioned

Bubby

December 2nd, 2007 at 8:46 pm

I thought I commented earlier…guess not…
Great photos…they look pretty sharp…but I don’t like the figurine that much…

Aya Kyunik

December 3rd, 2007 at 11:03 am

Amazingly simple set up, and I like it :3

The lens seems to be doing you a good job, and I also agree about going back to basics to find out how the little changes.

I’m still on a digital snapshot camera, with little to no motivation to move onto DSLR with my lack of money… Pretty much on permanent DEFCON1 here… ;_;

Aya Kyunik’s last blog post..Desktooooop change!

BGZ-Durel

July 17th, 2009 at 3:29 am

Nice shots. Feel free to check out my latest Haruhi photoshoot on my site.

I am new to the photoshooting part as well just got myself a Nikon D60. :)

BGZ-Durel’s last blog post..What questions do YOU have for the Global Agenda team?