ARIA The OVA ~Arietta~

September 5, 2007 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, ARIA The OVA ~ARIETTA~, OVAs

It has been a long time since ARIA The NATURAL ended, in fact it finished airing on the 1st October 2006, and it sadden me greatly that it finished. But then the ARIA OVA was announced and I was ecstatic, and now that it has aired, I can honestly say it was so beautiful that it makes me want to cry tears of joy. Everything about it was done really like the animation has improved significantly. The background and panning shots of Neo-Venezia look almost like paintings and everything feels so vibrant. It was also nice to see all the characters once again and this OVA brings us all the things that we love about it. The music, the super-deformed appearances, Aria-shachou’s funny moments, and the simply feeling of losing track of time.

OP: “Nanairo no Sora o (七色の空を)” by SONOROUS – A little disappointed that it wasn’t a Makino Yui song, but it’s still a nice song and it gives a nice opening feel with the panning shots of Neo-Venezia.

ED: “Ashita, Yuugure Made (明日、夕暮れまで)” by Erino Hazuki – Just like in previous ARIA series, the ending blends in well with the wrap up of the episode, giving a happy feeling with more panning shots of a quiet and beautiful Neo-Venezia.

Impressions

If you are expecting a write up, sorry, not here. I don’t have the time, but you can check out Totali’s post at Subculture Anime Blog. When I first heard about this, I was wondering quite a lot on what story they were going to take. ARIA being episodic in nature, it was quite difficult to determine which chapter/s from the manga it would use, but they decided to go with an anime original, which is probably the best choice. The story follows three parts, Alicia’s past, Akari and Alicia’s present, and Akari’s future. The transition from Alicia becoming a Prima to Akari’s route to one shows us a large space of time, but it can also show us that time is irrelevant. With the present, time seems to stand still to allow us to appreciate what we see and feel now, and with the look into the future, it shows us what we could expect. This OVA only goes for 30 minutes, but to me, it felt like an hour. I always get that feeling about ARIA, and how an episode always seem to go longer than it seems, but that is one aspect that I like about this series.

As many of you are aware of, the 3rd season of ARIA has been announced and this OVA is a nice preview of some of the things to expect. With ARIA The ORIGINATION composing of staff from the OVA, I think we can expect the same level of quality. Of course, my burning passion for ARIA is blazing, I definitely can’t wait for the 3rd season to start airing. A definite series for me to blog and I hope I can keep up to date on it.

Also if you want to purchase the ARIA The OVA ~ARIETTA~ DVD, you can order your copy from Amazon Japan.

Meanwhile in other ARIA news, the 2008 Desktop and Wall Calendar are available for pre-order, and there is also going to be a 3rd ARIA Premium Poster Book as well as the 11th Volume of the ARIA manga.

ARIA 2008 Desktop Calendar: Amazon Japan (¥1400), HLJ (¥1334) – Release Date: 30/11/2007
ARIA 2008 Wall Calendar: Amazon Japan (¥2000) – Release Date: 30/11/2007
ARIA Premium Poster Book 3: HLJ (¥2857) – Release Date: 22/12/2007
ARIA Volume 11: Amazon Japan (¥1200) – Release Date: 03/10/2007

Some definite buys for me. Luckily I work. Also the final ARIA figure by Solid Works, Athena, as well as the Solid Works ARIA Collection 1 has been released and is being shipped to me currently. Do look forward to photos of them.

14 Responses to ARIA The OVA ~Arietta~

Fisherman Horizon

September 5th, 2007 at 2:13 am

I still feel that the character expression wasn’t that impressive. The location and size of the eyes just not up to my expectation. I didn’t go back and watch ARIA Natural but the OVA really disappointed me in terms of facial expression. However, the background setting and the whole atmosphere has been taken to a new level.

I didn’t know that it’ll be aired first before the DVD release. Anyway, like the story especially it focus a lot of Alicia. :)

Totali

September 5th, 2007 at 2:48 am

That’s a lot of merchandise, Adun….and I thought I could call myself an Aria fan! ;P

lu-k

September 5th, 2007 at 3:11 am

haven’t seen it yet, since I’m waiting for a subbed version ^^;
So, don’t blame me for didn’t read your article’s first part and look at the pictures, but will come back on it once I’ll have seen this Arietta OVA :D

I’ve ordered the desktop calendar, but missed the poster book 3 (the n°2 is fantastic) T_T
These kind of item is hard to track on HLJ… hope I’ll be able to have one when orders will be open again

Necromancer

September 5th, 2007 at 3:33 am

I’m looking forward to my Solid Works Aria Collection 1 arriving too, my 1st piece of Aria merchandise and too cute to pass up :D

September 5th, 2007 at 6:55 am

Fisherman Horizon: That’s strange hearing that from you, lol. Personally I found the eyes to be great. In the previous ARIA series, I found the eyes to be too round sometimes, but with the OVA, they looked better, at times even looking close to the manga. I too was surprised that this was being aired first, but it won’t stop me from buying the DVD.

Totali: Oh I have quite a collection of ARIA merchandise. You should check out the ARIA The Natural category to see what I have.

lu-k: Poster Book 3 will be available from HLJ for preorder ont he 23rd September. Not sure whether I’ll be purchasing this through Amazon Japan or HLJ yet.

Necromancer: I’m hoping that Solid Works have upped the quality of these compared to their previous release of ARIA trading figures.

September 5th, 2007 at 8:08 am

I’m going to watch Aria the Natural when I have time thanks to you lol. Nothing mean out of it ;p, but I have a few episodes and when I’m not busy with school I’ll take a chance to read it. I like the screen shots so I wouldn’t mind taking at least a look, maybe a review later if I like it ^^.

Hijiko

September 5th, 2007 at 8:57 am

Just watched it last night and I found slight changes in the characters design (the face of course). The music was great as always, and I really want the ED, really smooth song. Seeing more of Alicia’s past was great, she really hasn’t changed much. I’m looking forward to the 3rd season =)

Nymeria

September 5th, 2007 at 8:38 pm

After seeing the ARIA OVA,for a long long time i seemed to find the time stopped.I didn’t cry,however i can find my tears.It’s just the ARIA,maybe 20years later,when i’m 40,or 40years later when 60,i can also feel it.So beautil world,glad to see Alicia’s past,her feeling,Akira’s words,Athena’s song,of course the clock tower.

Beautiful images & beautiful music,especially the ed.looking forward to the 3rd season 2-v

Fisherman Horizon

September 5th, 2007 at 11:04 pm

I knew you’re going to say that. :)

The close-up was ok and most of the time it was fine but there are some moment for example the far right in second last row. Alicia eyes just dont seem to be right place. However, the displacement is not that great. Just I feel that ARIA the natural positioning is better. I have no problem with the roundness shape or the new eye shape in the OVA.

Try comparing these though the difference is not that evident. But I dool feel that the round one looks more pleasing.

However, the one below looks fine. Thus, I conclude that it’s mostly the far away shot which many animation company put less effort in. Close-up is always a lot better.

Actually it’s not a big issue since the background setting and the atmospehere would overshadow the facial expression since most of the shots are great. :)

September 6th, 2007 at 11:12 pm

AS: You haven’t watched it! It’s something you SHOULD watch, lol. Really, there was nothing better than watching an episode of ARIA after a long day of anything. I look forward to the third season just to break away from the daily grind.

Hijiko: I’m sure they’ll release the OP and ED sometime soon, or around the same time as the DVD.

Nymeria: Exactly. Everytime I watch ARIA, time just seems to go slow or stop completely. Byt the time the episode finishes, it felt like an hour or two, lol.

Fisherman Horizon: Well distant shots of the characters is a little hard to see, but I still find that close up it has improved a lot. Also I think the drawing style has changed for the best for the OVA. The overall feel has changed it and matches with the mood of the story that is told in the OVA.

AOforever1

September 7th, 2007 at 1:33 pm

Arg, I just found some time to comment on your blog and I got spoiled with Aria OVA @_@
I hope I find this OVA and heartwarming and reminiscent as you did; once it gets fansubbed that is.

September 8th, 2007 at 11:22 am

@Adun:Lol, congrats…I’m hooked to ARIA now…well I’m going to finish watching episode 5 now and do a review for it on my blog later today. It is a nice episode to watch after a long day…woke up at 6:45 am to get to school and now I get to sit back and enjoy watching a “slice of life”..byoi byoi ^^.

AOforever1

September 23rd, 2007 at 3:22 pm

I know this is off topic, but I finally got a chance to watch the Aria Arietta OVA since it was recently subbed. Great stuff, and the authors almost had me there when I saw Akari with out her gloves on o_o.

Edit: Moved to appropriate post.

Sintyadi

July 17th, 2008 at 8:28 pm

Im really curious to watch this film. But, I can hardly find it in Indonesia, I really loved these films, and this is my favourite anime. Hope i can find this anime and watch it and give me a best feeling.