Lunar Eclipse

August 28, 2007 | Author: | In: Everyday Life, Photography

Tonight was a little unexpected event, a lunar eclipse! Luckily for me that Sydney weather has had some clear skies and that it’s warming up, had a clear view of the lunar eclipse and I couldn’t resist taking a photo or two.

This was the only decent one that turned out as I really don’t have the proper equipment for long exposure photography like this. Though I’m still surprised at how this one turned out. If I had awesome skills at Photoshop, I’d fix it up a bit more, but alas I don’t.

One of the failure shots, but I’ll post it anyway. Though it still looks good in a sense. Shows that the Earth is moving! There is one thing I hope to try one day, a photograph that Kohei from Tsukuyomi Moonphase did with Hazuki. For those who have watched Tsukuyomi Moonphase should know what I’m talking about but if not, then here is the picture.

The effect is that the subject is standing still, and with a VERY LOOOOOOOOONG exposure, you can capture the stars moving. Although I know it’s impossible to get something like this done, but I want to try something similar. One day I will, one day…..

6 Responses to Lunar Eclipse

lu-k

August 29th, 2007 at 12:02 am

Lovely! There was one lunar eclipse visible from where I live few months ago, but… the sky wasn’t clear at all and lots of cloud spoilt the show ;_;

This effect you want to try is definitely something each photographer should try once hehe ^^
In the same idea, trying to capture the lights from cars in a town at night should be interresting as well :)

Anyway, I hope we won’t have to wait too long to see your works on that subject ;)

August 29th, 2007 at 3:33 am

Wow, excellent pic…mine didn’t turn out that good lol. Your pics are a lot closer and clearer than whatever I can produce with my camera. The moon did look nice though, want to see it again in my lifetime.

samejima

August 29th, 2007 at 10:05 am

Ugh… didn’t see the lunar eclipse last night as the clouds were covering the moon but noticed the sky was much darker than usual.. and I had prepared my camera…*sigh*

Fenix

August 29th, 2007 at 1:10 pm

Actually it is possible to create the Tsukuyomi Moonphase effect with the person in the foreground even, but not with the person standing for 10 hours like what Hazuki did heh. What one has to do with put the camera on tripod and set second curtain flash. Hold down the shutter with a release cable and expose for say 10 hours. Just before you going to release the shutter, hold a black cardboard or something over the lense, the person goes in and poses at the predetermined position. Remove the black cardboard. Release the shutter. The second curtain flash will fire and picture will be complete with the full circular star trail and the person in front. In practice you just need to have done plenty of second curtain flashes, knows well enough about how much flash power you need for the subject in the foreground and so on. I’ve used this and some other similar techniques to capture ton of long exposure shots with persons in the foreground. Although I’ve never done a circular star trail like that yet because I don’t have the time and energy to wait for 10 hours in the dark field doing nothing and of course if you fail, you need another day and another 10 hours to correct your mistake heh.

August 29th, 2007 at 9:34 pm

lu-k: Nighttime photography is something I want to try more and before I got my full-time job, I didn’t get much time since I worked nights. But now with full-time work I have even less time, lol.

AS: What I wished I had was one of those HUGE telephoto lenses. It would’ve made the moon HUGE.

samejima: Over the past few years, every time something like this happened, it was always cloudy for me. But also being in Australia, we don’t get to see many of these rare events.

Fenix: Thanks for the advice. I have read about the second curtain effect before and can see the theory behind it. But like you said, its a matter of waiting around for 10 hours to get this kind of effect but at least I live around in an area in which I can try it. But like I said, it’s something I would like to try myself one day as I think it’s a pretty cool project.

Tsuki-Miko-14

September 1st, 2007 at 10:09 pm

ahh i missed the lunar eclipse again. well not really ..cuz last time when it was a lunar eclipse it didt show up over here.
but i did saw a Blue moon i think around april or much 2007.
im soo piss off and sad that i missed it and i didt cheack my e-mail that Skywatcher Alert send me about it. it was to late cuz i readed it after that day of the lunar eclipse. plush i was soo sleeply to cheack my e-mail on that day.