Step into the World of Otakuism (or in short my room)

February 28, 2007 | Author: | In: Anime Blogs, Everyday Life, Figures, Merchandise

Many of you know I have a vast collection of figures and anime merchandise. But you very little realise how far my collection has gone, well with the exception of a few close friends, so I’m here to show you my wonderful kingdom in all it’s glory. So what lies beyond the door? Well read on to find out.

Firstly before opening the door, you’ll notice two computer case boxes next to it. These simply contains bits and pieces from back in the days when I was really into upgrading my computer every 3 months. I don’t have anywhere to store them and I rather not leave them in the garage. The cable you see running across the floor is a network cable running to my brother’s room so he can access the internet. Yes it would be better if I used wireless but this works just fine.

Upon opening the door the first thing you see is the bookcase. This bookcase costs me $50 from GoLo and is one of those self-assembly ones. Right now it stores things varying from DVDs, manga, doujinshi, and magazines. The cabinet at the bottom stores only my computer text books I bought over the years during uni and some comptuer hardware. Well lets have a closer look at the book case shall we.

Starting at the bottom shelf you see the 5 Shuffle Character Volumes. As you can see these take up a LOT of space. These contain a small figure, a drama CD, a pencilboard and a character book. To the left of these are all Comiket 69 doujinshi that I bought. I can tell you, that there is 6 kgs of doujinshi ranging from Da Capo, To Heart 2, Kanon, Air, Clannad, Full Moon wo Sagashite and some miscellaneous series. Some ero and some non-ero. The blue folder is all the notes and information I collated during the Japan trip in future reference of when I go again.

Just some of my DVDs and manga that I bought. As you can see it’s not a very efficient way of storing such items. The 2nd shelf you see the entire Limited Edition set of Da Capo Second Season. On the 3rd shel, which is the top shelf, yes, you see the entire Air DVD collection and both the Special AND Collector’s Edition of the Air Movie. That scarf keychan came with the Collector’s Edition.

The top of the bookcase, just empty boxes of stuff, I should probably throw some of them away.

Next to the bookcase is just another bunch of boxes. Obviously you can see Alter’s Fate Testarossa box. On the ground is my 400 DVD filing box which I use to store all my burnt DVDs and that is pretty much full, so I’ll have to buy another one. On top of that is the bag for my DSLR camera. The yellow box is a car alarm, the other is a pod filter, both I’ve yet to install on my car.

Yes this is where all the magic happens. I probably spend so much time in front of the computer more so than outside my room. Oh such is the life of an otaku. As you can see, even my computer desk isn’t spared from the influence of anime. At the top is my early collection of Australian released anime DVDs and some bootleg ones in the mix.

But that is only half my workspace. My other half is comprised of another table. As you can see I sleep on a bunk bed. It creates so much space having a bunk bed, so much space that I can have another desk and a another bookcase.

Just above my computer desk is a small amount of wall space. I bet you were thinking there would be posters, but not at all. What you see is my Computer Science degree from my graduation and the ARIA 2007 Wall Calendar.

Underneath the bunk it isn’t a lot of space, but in a room as small as mine it’s plenty. The computer you see is my Linux box, but it hasn’t been running since I finished uni. The desk space I use for various tasks: computer desk (used to have a third monitor in my room), study desk, and my photography workspace. You may notice a few figures around, these are the ones I’ve yet to review (with the exception of Fate since I’ve done that already). That fan is my source of air conditioning for an Australian summer. If any of you know what an Australian summer is like, you know this is not enough.

The bookcase under the bunk. The tabletop and bookcase came as a part of the bunk which is pretty awesome. Only costs me $500 from Fantastic Furniture. Just a small collection of music CDs at the top and some English manga that I bought. Next is some movie DVDs which I’ll probably move out to the lounge room.

The next shelf contain my entire artbook collection. Not much compared to some others but as of late nothing has caught my interest. The bottom shelf is more computer textbooks from uni years. Some people reckon i should sell them, but they are an invaluable source if I ever need to look up something. That large box you see above the textbooks is the ARIA Premium Poster Book 2, and it’s the only place I can store it for the time being.

To the right of the bookcase is a chest of drawers. Nothing much, just a place to dump stuff. Assuming I am still living at home and have enough money, I plan on buying an LCD or small plasma TV to place here. That way I can watch TV or have a console in my room.

One awesome thing about a bunk is the corners. You can use them to hang hats, and what better hat to hang here than a Tony Tony Chopper hat (Chopper is from One Piece).

My place of dreams. During the summer I don’t sleep in my bed, simply because it gets insanely hot since hot air rises. Just above my head in an ARIA Deskmat which I just used to hang up, and yes, some posters! What you also see is a Clannad pillow, not a dakimakura (hug pillow) since this one is half the size of a proper dakimakura.

As you close the door to my room, you’ll find a wonderful surprise. It’s a HUGE towel of Akari from ARIA. My dear friend Roobar suggested that I should’ve hung this on the ceiling above my bed……ummm no. Plus the towel just happened to be the perfect size to cover most of my door.

Closing the door also reveals the wallspace behind it. The Da Capo wallscroll, clear poster, and clearfiles are all Comiket 69 exclusive items. The Tomoyo After towel I got when I bought the game in Akihabara, the Air towel I bought from Yahoo Japan auctions, the Mai clearfile I bought from Tamarket, the Kyou pencilboard I got from a bargain shop in Ikebukuro. The posters, besides the cute loli one, I got from a friend.

That me be all good and all so far, but what of my figures? Some of you may know I have a collection of around 60 figures. That’s quite a lot and I bet you’re wondering how I display them. Well let me present to you my Cabinet of BURNING PASSION.

Yes this is what some of you have probably been waiting to see. A glass display cabinet consisting of 5 shelves each filled with wonderful figures, plushies, and Gundams. Now most people have the Ikea display cabinet, but I find those kind of tacky and way too small for my needs. So I thought big and I happened to get this display cabinet which costs me $550. Self-assembly of course. Consisting of glass doors and shelves, it also has a large mirror at the back and comes with two halogen lights.

The next few pictures will be of the shelves, starting from the very top of the cabinet.

Everything in my room is the result of a hobby that started only a mere 5 years ago. Mind you this is nothing compared to some of the rooms that I have seen, heck my room doesn’t even compare to my friend Roobar. With only a living space of 3 metres x 4 metres (a rough estimate) I have filled it up rather nicely. However the case is now that I have ran out of room. I have nearly no room for DVDs, manga, posters and figures. Having the Fate Testarossa figure come in I had to make a choice. Store stuff away!

So I went through my cabinet and decided to store away all the plushies and trading figures as they take up much need space. I also went through all my figures and took the base off the ones that can stand independently without it. Although there wasn’t much it makes a difference. Storing away the plushies and trading figures resulted in this.

Four boxes worth of stuff to be stored away! It’s a good option to keep HLJ boxes as they are useful in many ways. These will be stored where I keep my figure boxes in another room as opposed to the garage. Don’t want moisture damaging the goods inside. However I wasn’t able to store two plushies away since I ran out of boxes.

So in the meantime, Aria-shachou goes back in the cabinet and Utamaru goes on my bed next to the Clannad pillow. I originally had Utamaru on my bed, but lying in the dark and seeing these yellow eyes right in my face proved to be somewhat freaky. Although i don’t mind now since Utamaru is a very huggable plushy, thank you Roobar for finding this during Comiket 69 for me!

So there you have it. You now know what my room is like. Would I call it more otaku than the ones posted on AnimeNano so far? Well most likely. Am I ashamed to have friends over to see all this? Not at all. In fact my friends, even non-anime fans, are amazed at my room. After reading this post, I’m sure you are amazed as well.

71 Responses to Step into the World of Otakuism (or in short my room)

TedFox

February 28th, 2007 at 1:38 pm

Haha… I was slowly reading and wondering where all your figurines are….

and when they finally appeared, I could only go “wow”

Hijiko

February 28th, 2007 at 1:49 pm

3×4? no way, it looks “longer” than that.

Anyways, sucks to have a small room, I have a 3x3ish and there’s not much I can still in here. There always the option of stick up some wall racks for some space (ikea ones are decent, can be a tad pricey though), but then you’ll need to drill holes into the wall.

O one last thing… I WANT THAT UTAMARU!!!! D=

fisherman horizon

February 28th, 2007 at 2:36 pm

Cool. an interesting post and I enjoy reading it. I still dont know how people get the ARIA sachou plushie, how did u obtained it?

Also, the chibi unidnes on the gondola, does that comes with a book?

You do have air-con at home right? otherwise How can u tolerate the Aust. summer with just fans? Usually i turned on my air-con at the living room to cool the house, even though my room is at far back of the house and also rely on a small fan as well.

pKjd

February 28th, 2007 at 2:39 pm

An amazing and well-organized collection you have here. Quite impressive. I see you also have that Suiseiseki Yujin release that I failed to purchase a year ago :S

I really should look into getting a glass display cabinet as well.

Baka

February 28th, 2007 at 2:43 pm

wow…I guess I am a bit jealous now. I wonder how you see through all the clutter in the cabinet. Btw, are the gundams PG’s or MG’s?

February 28th, 2007 at 2:48 pm

TedFox: Sneaky aren’t I?? lol.

Hijiko: 3×4 is a rough estimate, but it’s pretty close to that. I would love to put wall racks/shelving on the wall but I don’t think my mum would appreciate me drilling holes in the walls.

fisherman horizon: The ARIA-shachou plushy I bought from Animaxis when they had it on their site. Best bet to find one now is Yahoo Japan auctions. the chibi Undines ont he gondola came witht he limited edition version of Volume 7 and 8 of the ARIA manga. Also I don’t have any air-con in my house at all. If it’s 50 degrees outside my out, guarantee it’s 47 inside my house. I just bare with the heat, that is why I prefer winter over summer.

pKjd: Suiseiseki was a purchase made a long time ago. Before my Japan trip I believe. Also a display cabinet is well worth the money, it keeps things organised.

Baka: I rarely look inside my cabinet so I don’t mind the clutter. The Zeta and Wing Gundam are MG, the Freedom and justice are just regular 1/100.

Kitee

February 28th, 2007 at 2:56 pm

Wow, an amazing room.
Now I feel less of an otaku myself. hehe j/k ^^;
Anyways, very nice.

rabidkimba

February 28th, 2007 at 2:59 pm

Imagine my surprise when I linked this to an irc channel, saying “this is almost roobar level” and he came in and said that you know him in real life and that we ended up meeting in Tokyo! (Comiket 69, half-asian kid with longish hair) Small world, I guess. Great pictures by the way, I’ll make sure to keep my eye on the blog!

Also, curse you for having that SRDX Suiseiseki with the horribly inflated price… :(

February 28th, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Kitee: Always good to make others feel small, lol.

rabidkimba: Oh I remember. We met up at Shibuya before C69 as well. Seems like everyone wants that Suiseiseki :)

icie

February 28th, 2007 at 4:19 pm

I see ur fav black hat! I remember that from that timelapse video you had.

tj han

February 28th, 2007 at 4:49 pm

The fuck?? LOL. My own room has a queensized bed that eats up half of the available space. Your collection is insane. Actually I’m not sure how many figures I own since I don’t display them but surely its less than yours.

suguru

February 28th, 2007 at 5:01 pm

Sugoi…very impressive, that’s the best use of space I’ve seen in a long time. Good choices on the posters/figures/DVDs too–it’s good to see another Da Capo fan, I’m just finishing up re-watching the first series myself.

khardic_paladin

February 28th, 2007 at 6:01 pm

Maybe you could turn the Utamaru around the other way. Just a suggestion.
Also, where did you buy the cabinet from? You have me slightly interested.

super rats

March 1st, 2007 at 1:35 am

That’s a lot of PVC. I can see why Fate is not in the case…she’d take like a quarter of a shelf all by herself, though you could probably fit a bunch of kneeling, sitting figs under her.

March 1st, 2007 at 4:04 am

icie: Yeah, chairs make great hat holders as well.

tj han: It is quite a lot. Though you would have quite a number yourself if you didn’t sell any. I don’t think I would sell any of mine, except maybe the Shuffle ones.

suguru: I’m very much a big Da Capo fan as much as a big Kanon fan. Circus and Key are my two favourite game companies.

khardic paladin: If I did that then I’d see this big faceless white head, which would prove to be more scarier.

super rats: After clearing out the cabinet, Fate takes up the bottom shelf by herself, except for the Aria-shachou plushy. The worst part is she takes up nearly 1/3 of the space. Good thing I have some figures that are in a sitting position.

BeckoningChasm

March 1st, 2007 at 8:22 am

That is extremely impressive.

Danny Choo

March 1st, 2007 at 9:39 am

I see some niiice posters that me want ^^

alafista

March 1st, 2007 at 11:58 am

wow thats an impressive collection of PVC … nice room

JB

March 1st, 2007 at 12:40 pm

Is the poster next to the Shana one above your bed of “Iriya no sora, UFO no natsu”?

March 1st, 2007 at 2:11 pm

BeckoningChasm: thanks

Danny Choo: Oh really? Which ones??

alafista: I want to see if any other anime bloggers can match mine yet.

JB: The poster you speak of is Yumemi from Key’s visual novel Planetarian.

Mits

March 2nd, 2007 at 1:49 pm

Nice clean room! All you’re missing is the “moe” pc casing!

Journalista - the news weblog of The Comics Journal » Blog Archive » Mar. 2, 2007: Greetings from the herpes of the Internet

March 3rd, 2007 at 1:11 am

[...] then I saw this. After a few minutes spent admiring all the Aria merchandise, I crawled back to my otaku poseur [...]

puzk

March 3rd, 2007 at 5:29 pm

Clearly your best blog ever. A lot of stuff there. Wish I can exhibit your room one day

March 3rd, 2007 at 5:39 pm

Mits: I’ve seen those before, though would I buy one??? If I had the money, yes.

puzk: My friends who come visit me still get amazed when they walk into my room and see my wonderful collection.

adenread

March 4th, 2007 at 10:30 pm

How do you clean dust and stuff.

Ray

March 6th, 2007 at 10:38 am

Sugoi, Sugoi, Sugoi!!!!
That’s just too awesome to behold…wow…It’s…simply…amazing!!!

March 6th, 2007 at 11:23 am

adenread: Oh it takes a while. For the figures, I usually don’t have to since they are kept in the cabinet. But for the rest of the room, just use the good old vacuum cleaner.

Ray: Thanks, but I’m sure there’ll be other western otaku who can beat mine.

dots

March 6th, 2007 at 9:10 pm

Very nice room… Nice idea to keep the stuff stored in boxes too…
Reuse, recycle!!!!

deftoned

March 8th, 2007 at 2:33 pm

Very nice! I only have a fraction of the merchandise you have mainly because I only actually started buying stuff a couple years ago, despite having been watching anime for years. And only recently turned to the Dark Side with figures less than a year ago. ;) I need to take pictures of my very un-otaku room. :D

DoD

March 9th, 2007 at 6:11 pm

2 words. Fucking CRAZY

in a good way of course

samejima

March 10th, 2007 at 4:24 pm

oooooooooooh… nice room man. I wish I had that bunker bed of yours.hahah.. My room is has bigger space but too clean to be called an otaku’s room. And nice collections you’ve got. It’s great to be an otaku/techgeek don’t you think?.harharhar

JKL

March 11th, 2007 at 11:38 pm

You sir spend too much money LOL!

An impressive room. :)

Sawatari Makoto School of Design at Hop Step Jump!

March 12th, 2007 at 1:11 pm

[...] I see pictures like this, I kind of laugh, because I actually have an entire room that’s devoted exclusively to the [...]

Os

March 13th, 2007 at 11:00 am

Actually, at first I didn’t think it was too out there, but I must say, the figures won me over. Well done.

Tien

March 13th, 2007 at 6:15 pm

wow, are you in queensland? if you are i’m too…and i’m so jealous of your room.

March 13th, 2007 at 11:39 pm

deftoned: Welcome to the Dark Side!

samejima: Being an otaku is great, though it does come with the hefty price of not having any money, lol.

Tein: I’m actually in Sydney

Phossil

March 14th, 2007 at 4:36 am

lol :) Im very impressed by your room.. It looks very funny and full of anime collectibles!!!

No wonder why Jeff (http://anime.jefflawson.net) laughs because me too!!!

^_^

curson

March 20th, 2007 at 5:52 am

Well, I know officially envy you ^^
Great collection, and nice room.

Mike

April 1st, 2007 at 6:20 am

bEst rooom…EVER!

Bata-kun

April 2nd, 2007 at 3:17 am

Ha ha ha! Your room’s cleaner than mine. One of these days, I will show my room. That “Shana” poster interests me though, but I don’t get enough money. I so need a second job.

Chameleon

April 3rd, 2007 at 3:20 am

You wasted a lot of your life doing this I bet.

Kousaka

April 7th, 2007 at 11:35 am

That vast collection must’ve cost quite a large amount of hard earned dough. Dude, how can you afford so much? I hope you’re not pushing.

Kousaka

April 7th, 2007 at 11:39 am

I have to say that’s quite a collection. Some hobbies are too expensive though.

April 8th, 2007 at 9:17 am

Phossil: I’m glad Jeff is also surprised.

curson: thanks

Mike: Oh there are still others better than me out there. They just yet to show it.

Bata-kun: just eat less, problem solved! That Shana poster I got free at a convention as they were promoting the US DVD release of Shana.

Chameleon: I wouldn’t call it a waste. That’s like calling anyone’s hobby a waste. Collecting anime merchandise is part of my interest in anime as much as people’s interest in say Star Wars.

Kousaka: When you think about it, this collection represents a span of at least 3 years worth. During my job I was working an insane amount of hours and was getting paid quite a bit. At time I was pushing it but recently I’ve held back due to the lack of space. It may look expensive, but most hobbies have a cost to it these days, and you don’t have to spend a lot to enjoy your hobby either.

Kousaka

April 8th, 2007 at 10:23 am

The recent Comiket saw the release of Densha Otoko figures and other merchandise. I bought a few of them myself.

Yurichan

April 8th, 2007 at 9:53 pm

Nice room adun. The Aria merchandise is beautiful

Kousaka

April 12th, 2007 at 5:58 am

One question>Where is the Ren’ai collection? You can’t call yourself a true otaku if you don’t have any renai pc games or at least visual novel games.

April 12th, 2007 at 8:10 am

Yuri-chan: Thanks, hopefully I get more Aria merchandise in the future.

Kousaka: I have the Tomoyo After game and the Planetarian visual novel on the bookcase under the bunk. Just that you can’t see them in the photos.

Bata-kun

April 12th, 2007 at 2:41 pm

Cutting back will not do much for me. Ha ha ha! In fact, people say that I need to eat more. Oh well. Tis alright. I miss out on a lot of things, but I do check out a lot of things in return also.

Kousaka

April 14th, 2007 at 3:51 am

I see you are a fan of Feena Fam Earthlight. I’m also a big fan. If you want the dakimakura cover, you can order Dengeki G Magazine Vol. 6 which inludes lots of content on Yoake Mae Yori Ruri Iro Na such as a pencil board and train pass holder.

April 14th, 2007 at 8:39 am

Hunting the Elusive » Merchandise Display Method + WNB MARK Poster

May 11th, 2007 at 7:23 pm

[...] know a few people like adun who have towels of anime characters. Others have stuff like tapestries, and I have dakimakura [...]

Moe Moe Rabu » A Step into the Dollfie World

August 14th, 2007 at 12:43 am

[...] I see myself as a bit of a regular otaku, though my room may make it seem otherwise. But of course I don’t like to keep my otakuism to just anime, [...]

CoffeeFreak

September 10th, 2007 at 5:06 am

Wow..oh how I envy you. I’m a HUGE Da Capo and Kanon freak. I find it very hard to find merchandise for either series..yet look at your collection! I bow down to you.

ts warthog

September 14th, 2007 at 11:45 am

Just woundering where did you buy the Shuffle Character Volumes?

Nymeria

September 14th, 2007 at 2:19 pm

OMG…I dont know whatto say
In fact I wanted to find the message of “Kaguya probe set” in JAXA & other websites
Y there’s a link to here & i cannot find it now XD
The world is of course small,especially the net world

Glad to see your world,i’m not a little jealous-。-
i wanna figures,DVDs,posters & all u have lol

Why not buy air-con。。。At summer in Nanjing i cannot live without it & it’s “just” about 36–41degrees

September 14th, 2007 at 4:10 pm

CoffeeFreak: There’s plenty of Da Capo and Kanon stuff out there. You just have to look around.

ts warthog: I bought these when they were being released, and I bought them from HLJ. Though they are quite hard to find now.

Nymeria: Air-con is not really needed in my house. Even though I suffer through some pretty intense heat, I’ve been so used to it for the past 20 years I’m not that fussed. Plus most of my figures don’t seem to suffer from the heat ever since I bought the display cabinet.

Tai

November 28th, 2007 at 1:46 am

wow your room is so neat!!! omg!!! I’m gonna start cleaning mine and organizing stuff!!!

Eternal

December 14th, 2007 at 7:07 am

Wow…that’s one collection that’s definitely worth putting on the internet. Simply amazing.

And I envy you for having a Reverie poster >_>
*is a huge Key fan*

How a Girl Figures » A Girl’s Room? No Wai!

May 19th, 2008 at 5:15 pm

[...] sadly most of you boys have never been, a girls room… Specifically mine! I’ve seen some people post about their room, so I decided to jump on the bandwagon and do the [...]

Otakuism and the Workplace at Moé Moé Rabu

June 9th, 2008 at 11:48 pm

[...] so damn good. But I decided to decline that offer. It comes back to my otakuism and the fact that my room is like my central hub of my passion for the moé that I know for a fact that I would never get [...]

Baka-Raptor » Blog Archive » Whose Room? Baka-Raptor’s Room.

June 10th, 2008 at 12:18 am

[...] posts: what a brilliant idea! Why didn’t I think of that? Oh wait, I did – TWO YEARS [...]

allison

August 7th, 2008 at 9:52 am

hey, please please tell me where you got all your wonderfully awesome crap! I’ve been watching anime for around…two years now, but only have four anime dvd’s. (three of them box sets) and probably thirty or so manga. no figures.
alisuecomfort@yahoo.com

monogatari

August 22nd, 2008 at 10:51 am

Now for the biggest question of them all: In case a HUGE fire just broke out in wherever apartment/house you live, which of this treasures would you salvage first?

Jacky

January 31st, 2009 at 8:41 pm

oh hay, shuffle! >:D

and I know what you mean about the hlj boxes lol.

hlj box luv <3

February 2nd, 2009 at 10:00 am

Wow! I saw this post a long time ago but now I actually know what alot of the figures and items I’m looking at actually are. Finishing Da Capo helps of course.

Dang, Alter Fate looks like she’ll be needing alot of room to display. That sword is huge.

Love that gondola with all the Aria figures inside. That Air Misuzu towel is gorgeous. Congrats! ^_^

Punynari’s last blog post..Alter Teana Lanster Review

anon

February 13th, 2009 at 9:15 am

How old are you? Hey good for you I guess but make sure to get some sunlight once a month.

Rodrigo

May 10th, 2009 at 4:50 am

Hi…
It´s an Awesome Room
jajaja you have the room of my dreams… jajaja
I Saludate u from Guatemala!

mel leung

July 12th, 2009 at 4:35 pm

where did you get those shuffle character volumes.
btw maybe the cleanest otaku room i’ve seen, and awesome collection.

becca

February 28th, 2011 at 6:13 am

I love your computer desk just wondering where did you get it?

Anito